I'm now playing the Four Tops Yesterday's Dreams CD in the car when I go to work. "I'm In A Different World." What are your thoughts on this one? I've never, EVER been able to put my finger on what's up with this one. From the first time years and years [[and years) ago when I heard it, my 13 year old ears thought it sounded "tired" and sluggish. I recall my impressions vividly. I thought it sounded as if it was "trying" to be The Motown Sound but was getting bogged down with it's own production. I played it a lot, figuring I'd get into it eventually, but alas, it never clicked fully with me.

Over time, I've come to "appreciate" it. That's a nice way of saying I'm still trying to get a handle on it. All these decades later, it still sounds kind of "tired" and sluggish. One thing, the drums have none of the life and power of most of the pre-68 Motown records. "Reach Out", "Shadows Of Love","Bernadette", and "7 Rooms" all had powerfull, earth-moving, crisp drum sounds. After that, stuff like "You Keep Running Away" and "Different World" had a newer kind of drum sound, but it sounded kinda dull to me in comparison to the earlier stuff.

I don't know. What do you all think?