[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross and the Philly Sound

Hey guys, I was just listening to some Jean Carn, and thought the stuff she was recording with Philadelphia International could have fit Diana nicely.

So I thought, was Diana and the ‘Philly Sound’ ever a possibility? Do you think it could and would have worked?

The The Tempts, Tops and Eddie Kendricks all had a go and I think it worked quite well for them, although Eddie was the only one that got a hit out of it.

During the 70s heyday of the Philly sound, no. As Diana was signed to Motown and not to Gamble and Huff's PIR label, or to CBS which had some of their R and B acts produced by Gamble and Huff or Thom Bell. But Diana's backing singers in the mid to late 70s The Jones Girls ended up recording for Gamble and Huff. You should check out their recordings, such songs as We Are a Melody, You're Gonna Make Me Love Somebody Else, and At Peace with Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    During the 70s heyday of the Philly sound, no. As Diana was signed to Motown and not to Gamble and Huff's PIR label, or to CBS which had some of their R and B acts produced by Gamble and Huff or Thom Bell. But Diana's backing singers in the mid to late 70s The Jones Girls ended up recording for Gamble and Huff. You should check out their recordings, such songs as We Are a Melody, You're Gonna Make Me Love Somebody Else, and At Peace with Woman.
    Hey SpreadingLove, I LOVE the Jones Girls! All of their albums are great! I could equally see a lot of their songs working for Diana.

I agree that it would have been quite something for Motown to allow Diana to record with PIR, but it did happen with Eddie K [[who worked with Norman Harris, another major Philly Sound producer). Just a cool thought.
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 06-25-2021 at 05:01 PM.

Having dated Philadelphia Eagle Tim Brown briefly in 1965/66, Diana could say, "been there, done that" when The Philadelphia Sound had its day a decade later.

Quote Originally Posted by benross View Post
    Having dated Philadelphia Eagle Tim Brown briefly in 1965/66, Diana could say, "been there, done that" when The Philadelphia Sound had its day a decade later.
    LOL I didn’t know that, I guess Diana really did ‘get down with the Philly Sound’

I've always found it ironic that Motown considered the Philly sound in general a competitor, yet had D&M record several covers of Philly hits on their duet album seeming as though Motown composers did not have 10 good enough new songs to offer the project!

In reality it could never happen because of the record label issue. In theory, regarding the pairing's sound, it's an intriguing thought. I personally think Jean [[and the Jean led Supremes) would have been a fantastic pairing with the Philly sound. I don't know about Diana. One of the things I love about the Philly Sound is the lushness. Diana certainly knows lush, but I don't know if her brand of lushness would have merged well with Philly's. Maybe.

I've always been more intrigued by the idea of what Diana might have sounded like if she had been produced by Natalie Cole's team. Diana singing "Inseperable", "Mr. Melody", "This Will Be"...I think it would have worked.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I've always found it ironic that Motown considered the Philly sound in general a competitor, yet had D&M record several covers of Philly hits on their duet album seeming as though Motown composers did not have 10 good enough new songs to offer the project!
    Good point PNH. I prefer those two covers to the originals!

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    In reality it could never happen because of the record label issue. In theory, regarding the pairing's sound, it's an intriguing thought. I personally think Jean [[and the Jean led Supremes) would have been a fantastic pairing with the Philly sound. I don't know about Diana. One of the things I love about the Philly Sound is the lushness. Diana certainly knows lush, but I don't know if her brand of lushness would have merged well with Philly's. Maybe.

I've always been more intrigued by the idea of what Diana might have sounded like if she had been produced by Natalie Cole's team. Diana singing "Inseperable", "Mr. Melody", "This Will Be"...I think it would have worked.
    That’s a nice idea too Ran! [[Not as good as mine though )

I don’t think The Boss is a million miles away from Philly [[strings, horns and disco). Not quite there but not impossible to imagine.

And of course, some might not have thought Chic was a probable or good fit for Diana!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    LOL I didn’t know that, I guess Diana really did ‘get down with the Philly Sound’
    HaHa,Tom!!!

I think the N.C songs you mention the perfect fit for Diana, not to mention “Miss You Like Crazy” And “Someone That I Use To Love”. It’s the kind of material she should have been recording back then.
    Songs recorded by The Three Degrees, on or off the Philly label would have been a perfect fit for SMC. Scherrie would have done a terrific job on songs such as “Long Lost Lover” And “Giving Up Giving In”.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I think the N.C songs you mention the perfect fit for Diana, not to mention “Miss You Like Crazy” And “Someone That I Use To Love”. It’s the kind of material she should have been recording back then.
    Songs recorded by The Three Degrees, on or off the Philly label would have been a perfect fit for SMC. Scherrie would have done a terrific job on songs such as “Long Lost Lover” And “Giving Up Giving In”.
    I agree Scherrie would have sounded good on some of those tunes, but i am glad they were allocated to the Three Degrees whom by this time were my favourite female vocal group. Maybe if the Supremes had been given better material at this point they could have stayed relevant for longer than they did.

I loved that the Three Degrees were a well-balanced trio and while there was a lead in their songs the background was right up there with the lead and you could hear the fantastic harmonies. By the mid-to-late 70s the Three Degrees also became my favorite female vocal group as well.

Quote Originally Posted by motownlover1964 View Post
    I loved that the Three Degrees were a well-balanced trio and while there was a lead in their songs the background was right up there with the lead and you could hear the fantastic harmonies. By the mid-to-late 70s the Three Degrees also became my favorite female vocal group as well.
    I, too, love The Three Degrees, motownlover. Their harmonies are/were fantastic! The amazing thing about that group is that, despite occasional personnel changes over the years, their harmonic blend never changed. No matter which members came and went, they continued sounding the same as my favorite lineup of Sheila, Valerie & Fayette. How they managed that is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    I, too, love The Three Degrees, motownlover. Their harmonies are/were fantastic! The amazing thing about that group is that, despite occasional personnel changes over the years, their harmonic blend never changed. No matter which members came and went, they continued sounding the same as my favorite lineup of Sheila, Valerie & Fayette. How they managed that is beyond me.
    They still put on a wonderful show and they are looking forward to returning to the UK to perform later this year if covid restrictions allow. Val seems to think that is unlikely which is a real shame.
    Val's new solo cd is very nice too. Check it out.
    Last edited by Bluebrock; 07-03-2021 at 02:12 PM.

Add me to the list of folks who love the Three Degrees. I love the Jean led Supremes probably a little more, but definitely love TD more than the Scherrie led Supremes. Song for song TD has a better discography than the 70s Supremes put together, IMO. Such a shame that success in the States mostly eluded such a fantastic group of ladies in the Three Degrees. The 70s Supremes, Pointer Sisters, TD, Love Unlimited and the Emotions, without giving it much thought, are probably my top 5 favorite female groups of the 70s.

Add me to the list of folks who love the Three Degrees. I love the Jean led Supremes probably a little more, but definitely love TD more than the Scherrie led Supremes. Song for song TD has a better discography than the 70s Supremes put together, IMO. Such a shame that success in the States mostly eluded such a fantastic group of ladies in the Three Degrees. The 70s Supremes, Pointer Sisters, TD, Love Unlimited and the Emotions, without giving it much thought, are probably my top 5 favorite female groups of the 70s.
    I loved the Three Degrees” as a teenager, but eventually found them a little to cabaret/mor for my evolving musical tastes. Always thought “Love Unlimited did a fantastic job backing Barry White. You listen as much to them as Barry himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I loved the Three Degrees” as a teenager, but eventually found them a little to cabaret/mor for my evolving musical tastes. Always thought “Love Unlimited did a fantastic job backing Barry White. You listen as much to them as Barry himself.
    The stuff TD cut on Philly was top grade music. The other stuff was often great, sometimes not. I love the live vids of the group. They were visually stunning and their sound was fantastic. They glammed it up and often included MOR and Vegasy stuff in their act, which is why I theorize they weren't the stars in the states that they should have been. I imagine for the youth they sometimes did come across rather old fashioned. But their recorded music was anything but.

As for Love Unlimited, yes they were great backing for Barry, but those albums they cut of their own are among my favorite albums period from the 70s. Every one of them, except the last one, I can play and never tire of them. The last album was okay, but doesn't hit me like the others. They also were a gorgeous group of ladies. Glodean had it going on.