[REMOVE ADS]

I did not EVER know there was an Endless Love version with just Diana!!!

So, I pop the "Why Do Fools Fall In Love" album in my car and I'm letting the album play throughout. I get to Endless Love, and I am so embarrassed to admit this, but I have not EVER liked that song, so I ALWAYS have skipped it. I was in a drive-thru, and I was speaking to the cashier, so I couldn't skip it tonight, and it played and it sounded different. I'm waiting for Lionel to chime in, and he doesn't! I've had this album on cd since 05, but of course I've heard this song my whole damn 35 years of living, and how am I JUST now finding out there's a solo version?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by JLoveLamar View Post
    So, I pop the "Why Do Fools Fall In Love" album in my car and I'm letting the album play throughout. I get to Endless Love, and I am so embarrassed to admit this, but I have not EVER liked that song, so I ALWAYS have skipped it. I was in a drive-thru, and I was speaking to the cashier, so I couldn't skip it tonight, and it played and it sounded different. I'm waiting for Lionel to chime in, and he doesn't! I've had this album on cd since 05, but of course I've heard this song my whole damn 35 years of living, and how am I JUST now finding out there's a solo version?!?!
    It must have been wonderful for you to be blissfully unaware of the solo version of Endless Love. I have often wished i had been unaware of it's existence for the past 40+ years.
    welcome to the real world which can be very cruel and unforgiving!

You know, Mr. Blue, I kinda like the solo version. I think the solo version mightve made me appreciate the duet!

Diana phoned in her performance on this album track. Just like choosing a cover version of an old hit for her 'new' career, I ask myself 'whoever thought this was a good idea?'

It sounds like a really rough demo. She’s even slightly off key in places. I suppose it helped to increase sales of the album, but at what price.

Sad to say I have to agree with y'all.

Diana's solo version of Endless Love pales by comparison to the duet.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    Diana phoned in her performance on this album track. Just like choosing a cover version of an old hit for her 'new' career, I ask myself 'whoever thought this was a good idea?'
    the answer might be to ask the 36,000 at the Hollywood bowl two years ago who, for both sold out nights, sang right along with the world-wide smash. It was a hit in more places than: Aint No Mountain, Love Child, Someday, Touch Me In The Morning - THOSE folks thought it was a great idea. Not me though, I’ve never been a fan.

I always liked Diana's solo version and remember it getting quite a bit of airplay in my area. In fact, I remember the local stations playing it before they started playing WDFFIL.

I assume it was recorded because it would give additional sales to her RCA debut, plus RCA would have a version in hand in case of a future greatest hits collection.

Personally, I've always enjoyed the solo version better than the duet version. Lionel Richie is a fine vocalist, but he's just never done it for me. Loved him when he was in the Commodores, but his solo career leaves me kinda bored.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    It must have been wonderful for you to be blissfully unaware of the solo version of Endless Love. I have often wished i had been unaware of it's existence for the past 40+ years.
    welcome to the real world which can be very cruel and unforgiving!
    haha i was thinking the same thing! how his poor life has somehow declined or stepped down a bit upon learning of this atrocity

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    Ms Ross herself thought it to be a good idea. Had Quincy produced it as planned i'm sure it wouldn't have turned out anywhere near as hideous. I am convinced this album was successful only because she was still riding high following the Chic album and the Lionel duet. Any other time it would surely have flopped. I still have nightmares when i hear that karaoke style intro to why do fools. Quincy would never have allowed that either.

You know, Mr. Blue, I kinda like the solo version. I think the solo version mightve made me appreciate the duet!
    I'm glad the solo version has made someone happy! I find it to be quite unlistenable.

Ms Ross herself thought it to be a good idea. Had Quincy produced it as planned i'm sure it wouldn't have turned out anywhere near as hideous. I am convinced this album was successful only because she was still riding high following the Chic album and the Lionel duet. Any other time it would surely have flopped. I still have nightmares when i hear that karaoke style intro to why do fools. Quincy would never have allowed that either.
    The WDFFIL album is still MILES ahead of the EA album. Now that effort was hideous.

I'm glad the solo version has made someone happy! I find it to be quite unlistenable.

agreed. I think I like olive side too or at least we’ll play it, but on side one I think if I remember correctly I only listen to mirror mirror.

5 words to describe her solo rendition: Where are my ear plugs?

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    The WDFFIL album is still MILES ahead of the EA album. Now that effort was hideous.
    i agree. EA is up there with Workin Overtime as nearly unlistenable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    We shall have to respectfully agree to disagree on that one Satan!

If you've never heard Ross's solo version of "Endless Love," you probably never saw her lip-synch it either on Soul Train [[I think the edited, promo-single version, but I'm not sure). And yes, it was a business move, but a very smart one!

Aren't surprises like this, all these years later , .... GREAT !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    If you've never heard Ross's solo version of "Endless Love," you probably never saw her lip-synch it either on Soul Train [[I think the edited, promo-single version, but I'm not sure). And yes, it was a business move, but a very smart one!

I had not seen that! I did see the Q&A she had done when she said she had wanted to do Broadway, but not the performance. Anything that has ever said Endless Love I made sure I did not ever click. I must say, I love that! She is a TERRIBLE lip syncher, though! Finally found something Miss Ross cannot do. She was terrible at lipping in her Supreme days, also. Ok, Miss Ross. I'll take near perfection!

She is so damn beautiful in this video. My goodness, she was stunning. Still is stunning!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post

Jaap, Diana's solo version of "Endless Love" is okay, but I've always preferred Motown's hit duet version with Lionel which is far more magical. What I DON'T remember about Diana's solo RCA version is how badly it made her voice so Minnie Mouse-ish. She almost sounds like a little girl in your attached video. I mean, really awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Jaap, Diana's solo version of "Endless Love" is okay, but I've always preferred Motown's hit duet version with Lionel which is far more magical. What I DON'T remember about Diana's solo RCA version is how badly it made her voice so Minnie Mouse-ish. She almost sounds like a little girl in your attached video. I mean, really awful.
    I would have to agree with you on that one. She had no one to guide her and push her in the studio.
    Imagine the likes of Nick & Val, Michael Masser and Richard Perry settling for that vocal effort. Quincy would have coaxed a stronger vocal performance out of her had he helmed the project as originally planned. This is a perfect example of why she should not have self produced that ghastly pair of albums at the start of her rca tenure. There were some decent songs amidst the dross. She just needed guidance in the studio.

I would have to agree with you on that one. She had no one to guide her and push her in the studio.
    Imagine the likes of Nick & Val, Michael Masser and Richard Perry settling for that vocal effort. Quincy would have coaxed a stronger vocal performance out of her had he helmed the project as originally planned. This is a perfect example of why she should not have self produced that ghastly pair of albums at the start of her rca tenure. There were some decent songs amidst the dross. She just needed guidance in the studio.
    I’ve never thought of Diana as having much natural musicality. It becomes more apparent when she is left to her own devices in the recording studio. With a guiding hand she becomes another singer entirely.