[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Next volume of Motown Girls

From a Facebook post:

[[look our for more unreleased Brenda treasures on our next volume of Motown Girls due 27/08/2021).

Did somebody say Brenda???

Even after two anthology sets and countless tracks on MU, there’s still more Brenda left in the vaults! Wow!

I would love it if they included some live concert tracks by Brenda!

Thanks to the West Grand Boulevard blog, here is the cover and a tidbit:

Name:  Blog+June+25+girls.jpg
Views: 1768
Size:  12.8 KB

[ For West Grand readers with more devotion to recordings actually made in the Snakepit, let’s close with news of the latest More Motown Girls compilation from England’s estimable Ace Records. Good Good Feeling! is its title, and although some of the 25 tracks have been previously available as MP3s in Universal Music’s Motown Unreleased series, six have never been out before. These include songs cut by Martha & the Vandellas, Brenda Holloway [[the album’s title track) and Hattie Littles.
    Good Good Feeling! is currently set for release in August, as another contribution to this year’s summer of soul. Better get the coffee in, if not something stronger.]

Excellent!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    Even after two anthology sets and countless tracks on MU, there’s still more Brenda left in the vaults! Wow!
    Is it safe to say that Brenda recorded the most tracks at Motown that remained unreleased!!!??

It's good to see the Velvelettes in the 2nd slot. Hmmh... Alternate version? Or has the Cal lead on Everybody Needs Love been found?
    It's probable that the complete line-up will be revealed in the next couple of weeks.

I`m fizzin`. Looks really good - can`t wait. I think that Chris Clark would rival Brenda Holloway as to still unreleased tracks.

VERY excited about this upcoming release! Gotta get our Motown fix wherever it comes from!

Track listing please!!!! If the cover art is already out there, surely the tracks have been chosen. Don't keep us in suspense...some of us are too old to handle that!!!

Sorry for the delay! Here's the track list:

This Love I've Got - Martha & the Vandellas
    Nothing But A Fool - Gladys Knight & The Pips
    I'm In Love [[And I Know It) [Sandra Tilley lead] - The Velvelettes
    Good Good Feeling - Brenda Holloway
    I'm So Helpless [[When I'm With You) - Debbie Dean
    Can't Figure It Out - The Lewis Sisters
    A Love So Deep Inside - The Velvelettes
    Show Me The Way - Gladys Knight & The Pips
    Hold Me Oh My Darling - Ann Bogan
    I Don't Want Your Promises - LaBrenda Ben
    Drop In The Bucket - Kim Weston
    Don't Be Too Long - Anita Knorl
    It's Hard To Walk Away - Martha & the Vandellas
    Stuck-Up - Oma Heard
    My Daddy Knows Best - Little Lisa
    In Twenty Words Or Less - LaBrenda Ben
    When I Was In School - Hattie Littles
    Keep Me - Brenda Holloway
    Never Trust A Man - Chris Clark
    Watching A Plane In The Sky - Barbara McNair
    In The Neighborhood - Connie Haines
    My World Is Crumbling - The Lewis Sisters
    Send Him To Me - Debbie Dean
    Can't We Be Strangers Again - Blinky
    All I Could Do Was Cry - Yvonne Fair

All tracks are MONO. Previously unmixed tracks mixed by Richard Hughes. All booklet photos courtesy of Eric Charge. Produced by Mick Patrick and self. And thanks - as always - to Harry Weinger.
    Last edited by keith_hughes; 06-26-2021 at 05:41 AM.

Keith,

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this release and especially Little Lisa's 'My Daddy Knows Best'. I'm really looking forward to it as so many of us are.

I see that samples are up at the Ace website.
    Thank you.

Looks great Keith
    Thanks to all concerned.
    More Connie Haines...can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    Sorry for the delay! Here's the track list:

This Love I've Got - Martha & the Vandellas
    Nothing But A Fool - Gladys Knight & The Pips
    I'm In Love [[And I Know It) [Sandra Tilley lead] - The Velvelettes
    Good Good Feeling - Brenda Holloway
    I'm So Helpless [[When I'm With You) - Debbie Dean
    Can't Figure It Out - The Lewis Sisters
    A Love So Deep Inside - The Velvelettes
    Show Me The Way - Gladys Knight & The Pips
    Hold Me Oh My Darling - Ann Bogan
    I Don't Want Your Promises - LaBrenda Ben
    Drop In The Bucket - Kim Weston
    Don't Be Too Long - Anita Knorl
    It's Hard To Walk Away - Martha & the Vandellas
    Stuck-Up - Oma Heard
    My Daddy Knows Best - Little Lisa
    In Twenty Words Or Less - LaBrenda Ben
    When I Was In School - Hattie Littles
    Keep Me - Brenda Holloway
    Never Trust A Man - Chris Clark
    Watching A Plane In The Sky - Barbara McNair
    Send Him To Me - Debbie Dean
    Can't We Be Strangers Again - Blinky
    All I Could Do Was Cry - Yvonne Fair

All tracks are MONO. Previously unmixed tracks mixed by Richard Hughes. All booklet photos courtesy of Eric Charge. Produced by Mick Patrick and self. And thanks - as always - to Harry Weinger.
    Mercy!!!...

Looking forward to this set! Gonna feed our Motown fix this August! Thanks, Keith!

So the new unreleased tracks are:
    This Love I've Got - M&TV
    Good Good Feeling - B. Holloway
    Watching a Plane in the Sky- B. McNair
    When I Was In School - H. Little

And wasn't the Ann Bogan track - Hold Me Oh My Darling just released on Cellarful Of Motown 5?

I don`t recall "My World Is Crumbling" by the Lewis Sisters.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    So the new unreleased tracks are:
    This Love I've Got - M&TV
    Good Good Feeling - B. Holloway
    Watching a Plane in the Sky- B. McNair
    When I Was In School - H. Little

And wasn't the Ann Bogan track - Hold Me Oh My Darling just released on Cellarful Of Motown 5?
    Forgot one ...

Yes, but it was the stereo version included there. Good Good Feeling features all mono.

Really looking forward to this so thank you. The cover looks great - Gladys is always welcome [[as are The Pips even if not girls lol). The names you would expect from a release such as this. Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    I don`t recall "My World Is Crumbling" by the Lewis Sisters.
    I see. Thanks. Brenda Holloway did a version in early 68. I wonder if the Lewis Sisters track was a demo for Brenda..

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    Yes, but it was the stereo version included there. Good Good Feeling features all mono.
    Understood. I do wonder if there are just simply no other unreleased solo tracks by Ann Bogan in the can. Nonetheless, perhaps the mono version is noticeable different that the stereo version.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    Forgot one ...

Thank you!

My World Is Crumbling. By The Lewis Sisters. YES! I've been waiting for what seems like a lifetime for a complete recording of one of their best; and one of The Funk Brothers' most incredible performances. Many, MANY THANKS for this!

I see. Thanks. Brenda Holloway did a version in early 68. I wonder if the Lewis Sisters track was a demo for Brenda..
    I don't think it was a demo. The band track is a full-on Funk Brothers/Snake Pit affair. As brilliant as Brenda's recording is [[and it IS), The Lewis Sisters' version is amazingly arranged and just too good to be a demo. As it turns out, for my money, it was one of Motown's greatest wasted tracks. Even if the Lewis Sisters didn't get the release, it was too good to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    I don't think it was a demo. The band track is a full-on Funk Brothers/Snake Pit affair. As brilliant as Brenda's recording is [[and it IS), The Lewis Sisters' version is amazingly arranged and just too good to be a demo. As it turns out, for my money, it was one of Motown's greatest wasted tracks. Even if the Lewis Sisters didn't get the release, it was too good to waste.
    Brenda's version was recorded in Los Angeles and produced by Hal Davis. So it's doubtful that the backing track was done by the Funk Brothers in Detroit. It also makes me wonder if the Lewis Sister's version wasn't also recorded in LA.

It`s definitely the Funk Brothers so much superior to the LA. version.

Brenda's version was recorded in Los Angeles and produced by Hal Davis. So it's doubtful that the backing track was done by the Funk Brothers in Detroit. It also makes me wonder if the Lewis Sister's version wasn't also recorded in LA.
    No doubt, Brenda's was done in L.A., but The Lewis Sisters' version was recorded in Detroit. It's a vastly different creation than Brenda's L.A. recording. Even if you showed me liner notes saying The Lewis Sisters' band track was done in L.A. I wouldn't believe a word of it. There is no way on earth there is an L.A. musician on The Lewis Sisters' version. Their unfinished version is heard here at the 2:39 mark:

Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 06-28-2021 at 12:30 AM.

What a fantastic looking line up! I love when they have "familiar songs by unfamiliar artists," like the old 'Motown Superstars Sing Motown Superstars' from one of the early vault releases that came out on vinyl in the late 80s. Will be interesting to hear a Sandra Tilley lead on a song also covered later by Martha & the Vandellas [[prior to Tilley joining the group). Similarly, Kim Weston's version of "Drop in the Bucket" will be fun to compare to the Mary Wells version which I think is outstanding.

Have we heard "All I Could Do Was Cry" by Yvonne Fair before? The title is familiar but maybe I'm mixing it up with "It Should Have Been Me."

Kenneth "All I Could Do Was Cry" was from Unreleased 1969.

Keith Hughes' background on the six previously unreleased sides & a few photos from the booklet are now posted at the Ace website

Just had an email from ACE that they have shipped my copy already!!

Apparently.the LAST Brenda Holloway Motown recording...that is bad news.

The band track to the MR &TV has been around on bootleg releases.
    I think I have it on a CD as "In the Snakepit" ???...need to check

Connie Haines...has this been issued prior to this CD?

I'm out of touch :[[
    Last edited by snakepit; 06-28-2021 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by booty View Post
    Just had an email from ACE that they have shipped my copy already!!
    Just ordered from Ace..27 August as date.
    Hope they ship mine just like yours...

The Ace site refers to 6 u/i..but only mentions 5, so I think Connie Haines is a 'new' u/i.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Apparently.the LAST Brenda Holliway Motown recording...that is bad news.

Ok, this breaks my heart and dampens my Monday morning; no more unreleased tracks from Brenda. How could this happen?! My quick count on DFTMC list 114 tracks, released and unreleased. With this "new" track it brings her total to 115. This makes me sad.

Apparently.the LAST Brenda Holloway Motown recording...that is bad news.

Snakepit, you're correct. When I heard the sample, I was like, "I've heard this before... where have I heard it???" And, sure enough, it is track number 18 on "In The Snakepit" and entitled there as "All The Time" [maybe that was a working title?].

As for the last Brenda Holloway recording... that IS bad news. I can only hope that somewhere, somehow, another recording[s] will be unearthed on a reel that nobody knew about. Gotta keep the faith!

Danman869

Hello.
    Thanks for confirming that. I do have the "In the Snakepit" [ nice of them to name a CD after me) bootleg but without looking, couldn't remember the "title".
    Might have guessed that there was a storming vocal to it....sounds great.
    Probably an Ivy Hunter track

Mention of Connie Haines version of 'In The Neighborhood' reminded me that I'd read that she had recorded the song. Then I remembered where.... The Chris Clark Anthology notes. So I revisited them. Tommy Good and Kim Weston are listed among those who recorded a version of the song, but I don't recall either ever being released.
    Keith or Paul, Were these just listings or are there actual recordings in the tape vault? Have they been found or are they waiting to be found? If they have been found, are they not of a releasable quality?

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    No doubt, Brenda's was done in L.A., but The Lewis Sisters' version was recorded in Detroit. It's a vastly different creation than Brenda's L.A. recording. Even if you showed me liner notes saying The Lewis Sisters' band track was done in L.A. I wouldn't believe a word of it. There is no way on earth there is an L.A. musician on The Lewis Sisters' version. Their unfinished version is heard here at the 2:39 mark:

That's a neat little video of the Lewis Sisters songs. I especially like the Marvin Gaye track. I also agree with you about the backing track on the Lewis Sisters version of My World Is Crumbling. It's sounds like nobody but the Funk Brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    Mention of Connie Haines version of 'In The Neighborhood' reminded me that I'd read that she had recorded the song. Then I remembered where.... The Chris Clark Anthology notes. So I revisited them. Tommy Good and Kim Weston are listed among those who recorded a version of the song, but I don't recall either ever being released.
    Keith or Paul, Were these just listings or are there actual recordings in the tape vault? Have they been found or are they waiting to be found? If they have been found, are they not of a releasable quality?
    After some exhaustive searching with my good pal theboyfromxtown we have come to the conclusion that 'probably' Kim never recorded a vocal as there seems to be no paperwork to support the theory either. Now Tommy is a different matter there looks to have been two vocals recorded - the first of which was criminally erased and the second which looks to have been over dubbed. And then I got REALLY excted as there was a paperwork mention of Ivy Jo Hunter BUT it looks like it was just assigned to him with no vocal ever being attempted. And so that appears to be that and Connie's version looks to be the last one in the can and there appears to be no others, however as we say over on Cellarful Of Motown - 'with Motown - never say never'

I love " in the neighbourhood/ on the avenue".
    Such a shame nobody got a release on it.
    I think it was Motown's attempt to ride the "The In Crowd" wave. Probably the trend had faded by the time it was recorded on the various artists.

[QUOTE=snakepit;640864]Apparently.the LAST Brenda Holloway Motown recording...that is bad news

Now Larry do not read too much into what appears to be some peculiar subediting of what Keith probably wrote......

Just keep your ears open and keep hoping!

[QUOTE=fatmaninthethirdrow;641335]
    Apparently.the LAST Brenda Holloway Motown recording...that is bad news

Now Larry do not read too much into what appears to be some peculiar subediting of what Keith probably wrote......

Was it just my imagination or did someone make mention in the last year or so of another possible Brenda Holloway collection? I don't recall what thread or who made the statement, but it's in the very back of my mind...

[QUOTE=fatmaninthethirdrow;641335]
    Apparently.the LAST Brenda Holloway Motown recording...that is bad news

Yes I should know better.

I also had an email from Ace yesterday advising that my order for this CD had been shipped. Given the advertised release date, I contacted them and they apologised and advised that the email had been sent out in error and the CD will not be shipped until late August.

I thought it seemed premature..although I have NOT had such an email from ACE.

I can`t believe that this is the last Brenda Holloway track as I have a list of 30 odd mainly "assigned" titles that have not seen the light of day. This could mean that they were to be recorded around the time that she left. There are some alternates as well.
    Ace have not advised that me that my copy is not coming either.