[REMOVE ADS]

"You're The One" - The Three Degrees

DON'T get me started. Just ... don't. I love love love the Little Sister original version of the song and remain embittered about a nameless person who borrowed my copy of the Stone Flower 45 that I purchased in a wig shop and never returned it. One must move on. AND ... when I purchased the 3D lp 'Maybe' at the Korvettes on 34th street in Manhattan I virtually had to be resuscitated while standing in line at the checkout counter when I saw that 3D included their version of YTO on the lp. I had never seen this clip and, as always, salute you, Reese! In addition ... I find it annoying that this cut is never included in lists of early rap performances. HUH! Only you!
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 06-20-2021 at 08:31 PM.

We talked about this album on a recent thread. It is virtually one blockbuster after another. Their voices were never better and their choice of material on this album is flawless. It includes “MacArthur Park,“ “Stardust,“ “sugar on Sunday,“ and their rework of the early Chantels song “maybe“ which is produced by Richard Barrett as was the earlier version. One of the best albums ever which pointed the way towards a lot of the more dramatic, cover songs with spoken intros, along the lines of Margie Joseph‘s “stop! In the name of love“ and Laura Lee’s “ “Since I Fell for You.”

Their complete Roulette recordings are available on a double CD set and it is well worth seeking out.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    We talked about this album on a recent thread. It is virtually one blockbuster after another. Their voices were never better and their choice of material on this album is flawless. It includes “MacArthur Park,“ “Stardust,“ “sugar on Sunday,“ and their rework of the early Chantels song “maybe“ which is produced by Richard Barrett as was the earlier version. One of the best albums ever which pointed the way towards a lot of the more dramatic, cover songs with spoken intros, along the lines of Margie Joseph‘s “stop! In the name of love“ and Laura Lee’s “ “Since I Fell for You.”

Their complete Roulette recordings are available on a double CD set and it is well worth seeking out.
    Indeed, Kenneth! And that double CD is a killer.

THE THREE DEGREES - one of the most overlooked and underappreciated groups ever! They have a history of fantastic records!!!!!

Agreed. I just adore that double cd set.
    I love every line up of the 3D. They are certainly one of the premier female vocal groups. They just might be my very favourite female group. The lack of success in the States of the later line up's baffles me to this very day.

I didn't know the group had even ever covered this song. Enjoyed the mess outta that
    performance. I didn't follow the group's career as much as I did others. Still I had a
    crush on Valerie for a minute. Laura Lee, that woman could sing, sang, coo, croon and growl. Scare the piss outta you too...I try to get all of her stuff but I know there's some
    I've missed....

BTW, Peace, probably the reason this song like so many others, gets omitted in discussions
    of early rap history is because it rapping was a technique employed occasionally in American popular music decades before kids adopted it as a completely distinct genre.
    You can examples in Soul, Gospel, Jazz, Blues, Funk [[of course) and even country music.
    If the Three Degrees had come out on stage and rapped through an entire set of songs
    they'd have faced a walk out for sure back then....

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    Sorry guys but Sly Stone and Little Sister tore this one up. The radio always played Part 2 here and I still listen to it. I remember seeing this version in the record store but did not realize it was the same song until this was posted. I am way too accustomed to Little Sister. Those girls were amazing singers. Too bad they didn't last longer or had an album. I also liked their version of Somebody's Watching You and the alternate. You're The One is one hot funky track!
    Actually for the record, nathan, I don't think anybody on this thread was saying anything
    close to the 3D "besting" Little Sister over a tune they originated and brother Sly wrote
    and produced. It was simply about the Three Degrees cover and performance...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Actually for the record, nathan, I don't think anybody on this thread was saying anything
    close to the 3D "besting" Little Sister over a tune they originated and brother Sly wrote
    How stupid but typical on here. Sorry, I just had an opinion nothing more but did not follow the "rules" according to you splanky. I deleted my comment just for you.

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Indeed. And 'Here, here'.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    How stupid but typical on here. Sorry, I just had an opinion nothing more but did not follow the "rules" according to you splanky. I deleted my comment just for you.
    Hey, no one needs any permission here to weigh in on the merits of any version over another...God knows I do it constantly without being asked!

I like both versions. Little Sister's of course is raunchier and funkier and the 3 Degrees' version is more polished and slicker. I think it's a great song and they both do well by it. I had the single by Little Sister and later the "Maybe" album on which it appeared by the 3 Degrees.

I can't believe Little Sister never had an album!

Yvonne Fair could have torn apart this song as well.

Hey, no one needs any permission here to weigh in on the merits of any version over another...God knows I do it constantly without being asked!

I like both versions. Little Sister's of course is raunchier and funkier and the 3 Degrees' version is more polished and slicker. I think it's a great song and they both do well by it. I had the single by Little Sister and later the "Maybe" album on which it appeared by the 3 Degrees.

I can't believe Little Sister never had an album!

Yvonne Fair could have torn apart this song as well.
    The Enigma of Little Sister has always fascinated me. Are the 3 songs all that Sly recorded with them?