[REMOVE ADS]

Drury Lane 1977 Supremes Farewell Contest

1. Why wasn't this concert released as an album?
    2. Was "Somebody We'll Be Together" the final live performance song by The Supremes?

I have this on CD. Last song performed was "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking".

But I did found out what we heard is not exactly how the live show went.
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I have this on CD. Last song performed was "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking".

It's been on YT many times. As Roberta said 'I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking' was the final song sung. Not sure why it was never released as at the time, no chance now. The song choice was very poor but they sounded good. I have it on CDr but have not played since I made it!

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    But I did found out what we heard is not exactly how the live show went.
    Not sure what you have heard, but if you listen to the recording, the last song definitely is "IGLMHDTW". Scherrie, Susaye, and Mary ad lib a lot of "bye byes" and at the end, Scherrie says "bye bye, but not for long" then they're introduced and brought off stage.

What I meant was this isn’t the full concert. There are songs missing from the You tube audio that all of us heard.
    Not sure what you have heard, but if you listen to the recording, the last song definitely is "IGLMHDTW". Scherrie, Susaye, and Mary ad lib a lot of "bye byes" and at the end, Scherrie says "bye bye, but not for long" then they're introduced and brought off stage.

what we have heard is a bootleg of the edited concert that the BBC broadcast. i don't believe they broadcast the show live but taped it and then aired the portion we've all heard. the actual concert was a bit longer and included some other songs like HMM and Driving Wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    what we have heard is a bootleg of the edited concert that the BBC broadcast. i don't believe they broadcast the show live but taped it and then aired the portion we've all heard. the actual concert was a bit longer and included some other songs like HMM and Driving Wheel.
    I recall listening to it on the radio back in the day, but i don't remember it being a live event. I think you are right when you say they broadcast an edited version. I had seen them live shortly before and it was pretty much the same show albeit in an edited form.

What I meant was this isn’t the full concert. There are songs missing from the You tube audio that all of us heard.
    I misunderstood; sorry!

I thought that the concert was a bit "short", just coming in under an hour.

Here's the info, from Wiki:

Set list:

"Everybody Gets To Go To The Moon"/"Corner Of The Sky"
    "Let Yourself Go"
    "Stoned Love"
    "The Way We Were"
    "Maybe This Time"
    "Someday We'll Be Together"
    "You Keep Me Hanging On"
    "Where Did Our Love Go"
    "Baby Love"
    "Love Child"
    "Stop! In the Name of Love"
    "My World Is Empty Without You"
    "Knocks Me Off My Feet" - solo performance by Susaye Greene
    "What About Today?" - solo performance by Scherrie Payne
    "A Song for You" /"How Lucky Can You Get" - solo performance by Mary Wilson
    "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking"

In her second autobiography Supreme Faith: Someday We'll Be Together, Mary Wilson recalls other songs being performed as latter day singles by the group such as "You're My Driving Wheel", "He's My Man" and "You're What's Missing In My Life". However, Wilson also states that the concert closed with "Someday We'll Be Together". Susaye Greene has stated in several on-line interviews that she does not recall the concert specifically [[it was just another engagement at that time, as Scherrie and Susaye planned to continue The Supremes with a new member. The Ladies later chose Joyce Vincent-Wilson, formerly of Tony Orlando & Dawn, as their third member.) Greene also stated that Scherrie Payne took lead vocals on "Tossing and Turning", and that she herself performed "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother", which had been a highlight of the group's live act for the past twelve months.

I would dispute Mary's claim that "Someday" was the final song, based on listening to the bootleg concert.

Interesting to see that by this time, the 60's songs were in a short medley, and other than "Stoned Love", not other early 1970's "hits" like "Ladder", "Nathan Jones", "FJ", etc. were included.

Tossin was one that [[oddly) they were doing in early 76 when Susaye joined. there's a bootleg of them at the Royal Hawaiian doing it. of course MJL did this song back in 72 to promote the Jimmy Webb lp. no idea why they'd bring it back in 76. other than they were looking to rotate material in and out to keep things fresh and it was certainly faster and cheaper to re-use existing material

Tossin was one that [[oddly) they were doing in early 76 when Susaye joined. there's a bootleg of them at the Royal Hawaiian doing it. of course MJL did this song back in 72 to promote the Jimmy Webb lp. no idea why they'd bring it back in 76. other than they were looking to rotate material in and out to keep things fresh and it was certainly faster and cheaper to re-use existing material
    I think TOSSING AND TURNING was mentioned by Mary as one of the songs they planned to do at their ill-fated Richard Nader concert.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I think TOSSING AND TURNING was mentioned by Mary as one of the songs they planned to do at their ill-fated Richard Nader concert.
    oh you're right!! forgot about that!! good memory

I believe that was March of 77. right around the time they did the Mike Douglas show doing Let Yourself Go and You Are The Heart of Me. both were their last US appearances, from what i understand. last tv and last concert gigs.

oh you're right!! forgot about that!! good memory

I believe that was March of 77. right around the time they did the Mike Douglas show doing Let Yourself Go and You Are The Heart of Me. both were their last US appearances, from what i understand. last tv and last concert gigs.
    I sent away for a copy of the fan club newsletter around that time. I actually still have it although I didn't join. But I remember one of the stories in it was the upcoming Richard Nader gig and how some fans were really against it.

we've stated on here a zillion times how the group should have had atl sets for their shows.

over the years the girls performs dozens, if not hundreds, of songs live. and each song would have had the necessary orchestral scores. while i realize this idea would have added complexity, they should have anticipated that they were playing very different audiences at times. so instead of the sup medley, they could have pulled out the full-length versions to various songs. it's not that they would have to be ready at the drop of a hat to perform each and every song in their entire library. they could have simply had a "cabaret" version of their show and one that was more hits focused.

From wiki: Susaye Greene has stated in several on-line interviews that she does not recall the concert specifically [[it was just another engagement at that time, as Scherrie and Susaye planned to continue The Supremes with a new member. The Ladies later chose Joyce Vincent-Wilson, formerly of Tony Orlando & Dawn, as their third member.)

I know you can take wiki with a grain of salt.....but.....

Was this concert not billed as the "Farewell" of Mary Wilson? You would THINK that Susaye would have a better memory, since it was a pretty mountainous event. The last founding member of the group leaving is hardly "just another engagement".

From wiki: Susaye Greene has stated in several on-line interviews that she does not recall the concert specifically [[it was just another engagement at that time, as Scherrie and Susaye planned to continue The Supremes with a new member. The Ladies later chose Joyce Vincent-Wilson, formerly of Tony Orlando & Dawn, as their third member.)

Was this concert not billed as the "Farewell" of Mary Wilson? You would THINK that Susaye would have a better memory, since it was a pretty mountainous event. The last founding member of the group leaving is hardly "just another engagement".
    also it was their last engagement as the supremes. neither she nor scherrie worked again as Supremes. they did as Flo's. and as a duo. but it was their last concert as Suppremes

Don't know if it was billed as Farewell of Mary Wilson, but it was mentioned at end of show when they said their goodbyes during IGLMHDTW. Sherrie said something like,
    "We're not really saying goodbye, we'll always be together and even though we're singing about our hearts doing the walking, we know that Mary will always be a Supreme, and our hearts will always be with Mary".

As it turns out, Sherrie was right. Mary continued to tour as a Supreme in one form or another. I always wondered why this Farewell of Mary [[which turned out to be the Farewell of the Official Supremes) did not occur in the states

As it turns out, Sherrie was right. Mary continued to tour as a Supreme in one form or another. I always wondered why this Farewell of Mary [[which turned out to be the Farewell of the Official Supremes) did not occur in the states

That's another good question.

That's another good question.
    i think the reasoning is they weren't a significant concert draw. they had had some strong successes with the MSS lineup but also some real debacles. I would never say my timeline info is 100% complete but there's an absolute absence of US dates. the girls would typically count on decent crowds at Magic Mountain and Bachelor III in Ft Lauderdale area. they still got the occasional tv appearance too - Merv and Mike D were the most dependable.

what i have in 76 is:

*Royal Hawaiian from April 12 - 25
    *Europe tour in May
    *Bachelor III in June-ish? I have the bootleg but not sure the dates. but ticket sales were very poor. there's hardly anyone in the office and mary even mentioned some night they cut back to 1 show instead of 2
    *L'Scala at Caracas, Venezuela - July 13 - 16
    *Roostertail in Detroit - Aug
    *Aladdin Las Vegas - Sept
    *Caesar's Palace - Dec

*Europe tour - jan 77
    *madison square garden - March 77
    *Bachellor III - maybe early or spring 77?
    *Europe tour - may - june

they also appeared at some point in 76 at The Cave in Vancouver, and i know MSS did the Fairmont in San Fran at some point. not sure when

So they had poor sales in Ft Lauderdale in May-ish 76, they had the terrible Caesar's performance in Dec. then boo'd off stage at Mad Square in March. that is NOT a solid live show track record. Odds are clubs were no longer interested in booking them

So they had poor sales in Ft Lauderdale in May-ish 76, they had the terrible Caesar's performance in Dec. then boo'd off stage at Mad Square in March. that is NOT a solid live show track record. Odds are clubs were no longer interested in booking them

I think what's interesting to remember is, how many groups from the 1960's were still active in the mid-1970's? The "oldies" circuit was something entirely new. My point is, who, exactly, were the Supremes playing to? The "old teenagers" that wanted to hear the 60's hits and see the sequins, or the new generation that wanted something hipper and current. You've said it a million times; the Supremes needed two sets of material.

i think that was part of the problem with the Madison Square Garden gig. sure they were playing a top notch venue in the largest US city. but the event positioned itself as a trip down memory lane. acts would do a handful of their good ole hits and then exit. the supremes COULD have done that - pulling out full-length versions of the hits. but instead they did their new disco numbers and cover tunes.

In Sup Faith, mary talks about an earlier concert for Operation PUSH with MJL. she says that even though she thought they did a great job with their segment and the audience loved them, their segment was cut from the theatrical release and the video. But fans have stated that their reception was not very strong. they got up there and did the Cabaret medley and other MOR tunes. and the audience wasn't thrilled.

i think that was part of the problem with the Madison Square Garden gig. sure they were playing a top notch venue in the largest US city. but the event positioned itself as a trip down memory lane. acts would do a handful of their good ole hits and then exit. the supremes COULD have done that - pulling out full-length versions of the hits. but instead they did their new disco numbers and cover tunes.

Without fault, it does make sense that Mary would have wanted the group to perform something "current". Even with the bill being an "oldies" revue, it made perfect sense to say, hey, we're still recording, and this is our new single.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the audience made up of mostly bikers? The Supremes were probably going to be too slick and sequinned, regardless.

Does anyone else know who else was on the MSG bill with the Supremes?

Without fault, it does make sense that Mary would have wanted the group to perform something "current". Even with the bill being an "oldies" revue, it made perfect sense to say, hey, we're still recording, and this is our new single.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the audience made up of mostly bikers? The Supremes were probably going to be too slick and sequinned, regardless.

Maybe MSS should have opened their MSG oldies show gig with a cover of Rick Nelson's "Garden Party"?

i don't know how many bikers there were, i remember Mary's book mentioning something about that. I'd guess that most of the audience just wasn't a disco crowd. If the girls had stuck to just singing their own hits and doing them more true to form, it would have probably been a big hit. but they'd rarely ever made the effort to perform their own material that way

i think Jay and the Americans were on the bill. Dion too maybe?

another part of the story is that during rehearsal, Mary talks in Sup Faith about how the promoter was quite upset with the Sups set. that it was too contemporary and not appropriate. Mary describes how she and the promoter got into it and left the rehearsal in the huff.

A few months ago, someone posted a great quality clip of MSC on a british tv show doing HMM. and someone posted that Mary and the producer got into there too.

another part of the story is that during rehearsal, Mary talks in Sup Faith about how the promoter was quite upset with the Sups set. that it was too contemporary and not appropriate. Mary describes how she and the promoter got into it and left the rehearsal in the huff.

A few months ago, someone posted a great quality clip of MSC on a british tv show doing HMM. and someone posted that Mary and the producer got into there too.
    The down side of having only one show worked out. It's interesting that in later years as a solo act, Mary had 3 types of shows: The Up Close show of jazz and ballads; the Symphony show for numbers in which an orchestra could provide appropriate backing; and her bread and butter Supremes Oldies Show to do on the oldies circuit. There was some overlap in material between the shows, but she could do a show appropriate for the venue and audience. Imagine if the later Supremes line ups had a couple of shows to draw upon!

The audience is enthusiastic and appreciative. Yet, regardless of contracts, 'rights', talent, etc., this sounds nothing whatsoever like the Supremes. The S's grandstand and oversing at each and every opportunity. Sorry. Just doesn't sound like the Supremes. And goodness. Could the set list have been any more dated if they had tried? And the pace. I get nervous just listening to how fast a song can be tossed off. A believing few are CERTAIN that this line-up was denied world domination by scheming record company politics. So be it.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 06-25-2021 at 10:04 AM.

I think that would be their 1975 appearance on Top of the Pops promoting HMM. Mary clashed with the show's producer Johnnie Stewart regarding the slot that had been allocated for the girls. It all turned most unpleasant, and Stewart vowed the Supremes would never be invited to appear on the show ever again. TOTP was a slick well oiled machine that had no time for diva behaviour. Having said that, Stewart was reputed to be a hard taskmaster, and i'm sure both sides could have handled it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I think that would be their 1975 appearance on Top of the Pops promoting HMM. Mary clashed with the show's producer Johnnie Stewart regarding the slot that had been allocated for the girls. It all turned most unpleasant, and Stewart vowed the Supremes would never be invited to appear on the show ever again. TOTP was a slick well oiled machine that had no time for diva behaviour. Having said that, Stewart was reputed to be a hard taskmaster, and i'm sure both sides could have handled it better.
    Mary also mentions that during the MJL tour of the UK, Jean was problematic with the producers of TOTPs and he held this against the group for years too.

while it might be a bit harsh to say it, after 1970, the girls frankly needed EVERYTHING to be on their side. while they were still the top selling female group for a couple more years, it was obvious that starting in 71 things were declining. records were not selling as they used to and the clubs were getting smaller. while out of control diva behavior is never appropriate no matter how big a star you are, when you're starting to struggle it's DEFINITELY not the time to start copping an attitude. you need people fighting on your side

Mary also mentions that during the MJL tour of the UK, Jean was problematic with the producers of TOTPs and he held this against the group for years too.

while it might be a bit harsh to say it, after 1970, the girls frankly needed EVERYTHING to be on their side. while they were still the top selling female group for a couple more years, it was obvious that starting in 71 things were declining. records were not selling as they used to and the clubs were getting smaller. while out of control diva behavior is never appropriate no matter how big a star you are, when you're starting to struggle it's DEFINITELY not the time to start copping an attitude. you need people fighting on your side
    I never knew that. I wonder which performance Mary is referring to. Jean only appeared on totp 3 times. She /they did Stoned Love, Bad Weather and You gotta have love with the Four Tops.
    I haven't read any of Mary's books with the exception of Dreamgirls.
    As regards the HMM performance perhaps Johnny Stewart dug his heels in when Mary began behaving like a Diva. He was not a man to cross, especially when your star is very much on the wane. I think i have mentioned it previously that my friend was a young cameraman on totp and he witnessed the Johnny/Mary fight. He said it was most unpleasant and both parties behaved very badly.

while out of control diva behavior is never appropriate no matter how big a star you are, when you're starting to struggle it's DEFINITELY not the time to start copping an attitude. you need people fighting on your side
    The only issue being, our defense mechanisms kick in and we lash out when we struggle. What does a dog do when it's cornered? Shows its teeth. Perhaps Mary knew they were on the downslope and this was her way of coping.

I have always said that Mary lived her life thinking it was 1966 and the champagne was flowing. Fine, if it's 1966. But in 1976?

I never knew that. I wonder which performance Mary is referring to. Jean only appeared on totp 3 times. She /they did Stoned Love, Bad Weather and You gotta have love with the Four Tops.
    As regards the HMM performance perhaps Johnny Stewart dug his heels in when Mary began behaving like a Diva. He was not a man to cross, especially when your star is very much on the wane. I think i have mentioned it previously that my friend was a young cameraman on totp and he witnessed the Johnny/Mary fight. He said it was most unpleasant and both parties behaved very badly.
    it was apparently the Bad Weather episode

Mary wrote that Jean refused to rehearse during the BAD WEATHER appearance. She also wrote that during the same trip, the group was invited to a Tempts concert and from the front row, Jean talked critically and loudly about them throughout.

is it really The problem was her being a diva or him not wanting to deal with a woman

is it really The problem was her being a diva or him not wanting to deal with a woman
    He dealt with many women on the show including Shirley Bassey, Cher, Lulu, Cilla Black and Dusty Springfield to name just a few.
    Mary was a lesser name by this time than any of those ladies. If he could work in relative harmony with the likes of Ms Bassey then he must have been able to negotiate with anyone, because anyone who can do that has my everlasting admiration.
    Last edited by Bluebrock; 06-25-2021 at 05:01 PM.

I’m guessing there’s more to the story than what was said
    He dealt with many women on the show including Shirley Bassey, Cher, Lulu, Cilla Black and Dusty Springfield to name just a few.
    Mary was a lesser name by this time than any of those ladies. If he could work in relative harmony with the likes of Ms Bassey then he must have been able to negotiate with anyone, because anyone who can do that has my everlasting admiration.

But only SHE can sing Goldfinger!

This is an UK show and most of who you listed are from there and probably already had a working relationship. I’m sure there was a better way in handling it but did you expect Mary to roll over and go away?

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    The audience is enthusiastic and appreciative. Yet, regardless of contracts, 'rights', talent, etc., this sounds nothing whatsoever like the Supremes. The S's grandstand and oversing at each and every opportunity. Sorry. Just doesn't sound like the Supremes. And goodness. Could the set list have been any more dated if they had tried? And the pace. I get nervous just listening to how fast a song can be tossed off. A believing few are CERTAIN that this line-up was denied world domination by scheming record company politics. So be it.
    my sentiments exactly except: Mary nailed How Lucky Can You Get so brilliantly that sometimes it gave me goosebumps. She would occasionally over sing it, and that drove me nuts. But when she sang the song as written, there was no other word to describe it but brilliant. As I’ve said many times, she had the goods – but not to be a popstar or “a young Tina turner” No one in the final group ever nailed a song as well as Mary did. And she knew it and I was happy that she did know it.

This is an UK show and most of who you listed are from there and probably already had a working relationship. I’m sure there was a better way in handling it but did you expect Mary to roll over and go away?
    there were two sides to Mary, or actually three or four. But she could be a diva bitch on wheels sometimes especially back then. I’m not going to go into instances or share my reasons why I think she got that way, only that she had the capability to be every bit as Rossy as ross and, one time, out did them all. There was a lot of pressure on the group and on Mary and she was trying very hard and she was working with women who did not care for her and she was trying to plug a record that had totally flopped in the United States, one That she had a lot of hope for. I’m not excusing her behavior and I’m not even condemning it, lots of people act out. But as was mentioned, Mary needed them a lot more than they needed her and she didn’t understand that back in the day. After she left the group, she settled into reality beautifully And was able to make a nice career for herself. Mary was unprofessional lots of times, Cindy gave me many examples. Jean was absolutely unprofessional in how she dealt with things she didn’t like in the group. Oh inexcusable, and outrageous. Again, ego plays into it. She knew she was literally supremely talented, and the fact that she replaced diana ross, and felt superior to diana ross, helped inflate that ego quite a bit. And when she and Mary began to get at it, I believe she felt she was justified because of who she was. I just played her first two albums last night, she was brilliant period, but that didn’t give her the right to act the way she did, the way I think Barry Gordy was afraid she would.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    my sentiments exactly except: Mary nailed How Lucky Can You Get so brilliantly that sometimes it gave me goosebumps. She would occasionally over sing it, and that drove me nuts. But when she sang the song as written, there was no other word to describe it but brilliant. As I’ve said many times, she had the goods – but not to be a popstar or “a young Tina turner” No one in the final group ever nailed a song as well as Mary did. And she knew it and I was happy that she did know it.
    That's a wonderful tribute to Mary and I don't doubt you for one single second. Glad for you that you have such a wonderful memory of one of the original members of our beloved Supremes! Be well, MM. Always happy to read your posts.

it was apparently the Bad Weather episode
    Thank you for that. This is the first i have heard of this.
    By the way, what did Mary say about her own run in with the producers of TOTP?

But only SHE can sing Goldfinger!
    That much is true!

there were two sides to Mary, or actually three or four. But she could be a diva bitch on wheels sometimes especially back then. I’m not going to go into instances or share my reasons why I think she got that way, only that she had the capability to be every bit as Rossy as ross and, one time, out did them all. There was a lot of pressure on the group and on Mary and she was trying very hard and she was working with women who did not care for her and she was trying to plug a record that had totally flopped in the United States, one That she had a lot of hope for. I’m not excusing her behavior and I’m not even condemning it, lots of people act out. But as was mentioned, Mary needed them a lot more than they needed her and she didn’t understand that back in the day. After she left the group, she settled into reality beautifully And was able to make a nice career for herself. Mary was unprofessional lots of times, Cindy gave me many examples. Jean was absolutely unprofessional in how she dealt with things she didn’t like in the group. Oh inexcusable, and outrageous. Again, ego plays into it. She knew she was literally supremely talented, and the fact that she replaced diana ross, and felt superior to diana ross, helped inflate that ego quite a bit. And when she and Mary began to get at it, I believe she felt she was justified because of who she was. I just played her first two albums last night, she was brilliant period, but that didn’t give her the right to act the way she did, the way I think Barry Gordy was afraid she would.
    Thank you for that honest and balanced account. I have little doubt you could say much more but i fully understand your reasons for not doing so. Take care and stay safe.

let’s not forget Mary was in an abusive , coercive controlling relationship also and under a lot of pressure to bring the money in to keep her husband in a lifestyle he thought he deserved .
    ive no doubt she could be a diva but if you’re getting beaten and s**t at home and scared you’re going to get another beating if you don’t come through then it makes some sense

[QUOTE=mwmr;640475]let’s not forget Mary was in an abusive , coercive controlling relationship also and under a lot of pressure to bring the money in to keep her husband in a lifestyle he thought he deserved .
    ive no doubt she could be a diva but if you’re getting beaten and s**t at home and scared you’re going to get another beating if you don’t come through then it makes some sense[/QUOTE
    Nice post. I wonder if anyone told Mary that he was the wrong pick. I cannot imagine the damage to her mental and physical well-being.