[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes 60th Anniversary

This year marks the 60th Anniversary of The Supremes signing with Motown. With the year half over, it seems that this milestone will not receive any media attention. Since our beloved Mary Wilson passed away, there is no longer a member who is championing the group like she did. She had lined up appearances on shows like Today and Entertainment Tonight but she had passed on prior to those appearances. I honestly don't see any media coverage for this happening now. What with Mary passing and her digital only release of her Expanded Edition, that seems to be the end of Universal's relationship. Diana Ross has released her first solo effort in decades, but that is more of a celebration of her and I am sure her focus will rightfully be on that and not on anything about the Supremes. Florence has passed, I am still wondering about her chances for a stamp that Mary tried so hard for, the group's 60th Anniversary would be an ideal PR for the USPS. Cindy is unwell and out of the public eye. Jean has removed herself from the public eye. Lynda retired and no longer has performed. Scherrie & Susaye still perform as the FLOs but with the pandemic and their limited scheduling as well as the public not being quite as familiar with them-they have not been able to tour or promote the group's anniversary. It just seems sad that this milestone has been forgotten, mainly because our beloved Mary is no longer here to champion the group that she helped start and remained in until it ended. Berry Gordy was right, Mary was the glue that held it all together.

The glue is the recorded music with an iconic lead vocal. Mary and other “karaoke” singers singing Diana’s lead vocals did little, imho, of keeping the memory alive. Elvis, Sinatra, Janis Joplin, The Doors, and other iconic vocalists, including those who are retired, live forever based on their life, their great vocals, and legendary recordings.

Give it a rest I’m tired of your BS
    Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    The glue is the recorded music with an iconic lead vocal. Mary and other “karaoke” singers singing Diana’s lead vocals did little, imho, of keeping the memory alive. Elvis, Sinatra, Janis Joplin, The Doors, and other iconic vocalists, including those who are retired, live forever based on their life, their great vocals, and legendary recordings.

I agree regarding the recorded music with an iconic lead singer. Less so about Mary. Given the right material she was a gifted vocalist and a charismatic entertainer. She also worked hard in ensuring the Supremes legacy was not forgotten.
    Perhaps Universal feels it would not be financially profitable to put yet another career retrospective package out there. Some kind of documentary would seem fitting, but with Mary no longer with us that seems further unlikely.

what a load of BS. No-ones taking anything away from your beloved Miss Ross.
    it is an undisputed historical fact [[to most sane people) that The Supremes were more than one member however iconic that lead vocal maybe .

Mary did everything keeping that legacy alive [[for many reasons) and that their is no celebration of the 60th anniversary and she is not here to be involved or lead on it is heartbreaking.

meanwhile as you mention Karaoke… the new Diana single has awful lead vocals, hardly iconic like some of her previous classics and clearly auto tuned .
    different strokes for different folks I guess

Can we all take a breather please? This forum has been such a pleasant place to visit recently. Can we please keep it that way? Do we really want a return to the bad old days? By all means disagree, but let us remain respectful towards each other and accept that others may have opinions that differ from our own. Everyone has the right to express their point of view, but let us do it in a dignified and respectful manner. There is enough strife in the world today. I want a break from that strife when i visit this site, and i am sure most other members feel the same.
    Getting back on point we must accept there is little hope of Universal or anyone else officially celebrating the 60th Anniversary of the Supremes. Therefore we shall have to mark the occasion in our own low key way by sharing our memories of the group.
    I have a few stories that will be welcomed by many fans. I am just awaiting official permission to share them with you courtesy of Ms Ross.
    In the meantime i look forward to reading other members stories and memories.

I agree Bluebrock, if the public, Motown, Berry, etc. won't acknowledge the 60th anniversary
    or do anything about it then we can. It sucks because I really hate to see the Supremes candle flicker out so quickly. Its making me appreciate what Mary did for the Supremes legacy more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Can we all take a breather please? This forum has been such a pleasant place to visit recently. Can we please keep it that way? Do we really want a return to the bad old days? By all means disagree, but let us remain respectful towards each other and accept that others may have opinions that differ from our own. Everyone has the right to express their point of view, but let us do it in a dignified and respectful manner. There is enough strife in the world today. I want a break from that strife when i visit this site, and i am sure most other members feel the same.
    Getting back on point we must accept there is little hope of Universal or anyone else officially celebrating the 60th Anniversary of the Supremes. Therefore we shall have to mark the occasion in our own low key way by sharing our memories of the group.
    I have a few stories that will be welcomed by many fans. I am just awaiting official permission to share them with you courtesy of Ms Ross.
    Thank You. I posted this because I was feeling quite sad that this milestone was passing by uncelebrated. Yes, I am thrilled for the Mary Wilson Expanded Streaming Release and Miss Ross' upcoming new material but I was quite saddened that this milestone is passing by unheralded. I was even more saddened that it had some unneeded responses. I had hoped it would bring some happy, positive memories like mine buying Up The Ladder To The Roof as my first record and then buying Reach Out and Touch later. I followed both in the 70's, went back and bought the music from the 60's, then when the group was no longer I followed Diana Ross and Mary Wilson, plus in 1978 getting The Supremes at Their Best followed by Jean Terrell's I Had To Fall in Love, next year we had Mary Wilson's solo LP, Scherrie & Susaye's Partners and Diana Ross' The Boss. Such great, happy, musical memories we should be sharing and celebrating the 60th Anniversary. It is time to celebrate, not respond in a negative, unnecessary manner.

Why the snarky comments? So totally senseless. Let it go!

Hopefully as things open up, Diana and the FLOs will have more opportunities to perform this year. I'm sure Scherrie and Susaye will incorporate some sort of tribute to Mary and the original grouping.

yes civil conversation and respect is what we need to always strive for my dear Bluebrock. We dont want to go back to the nasty name calling days. Thats all behind us. Lets love and support and treasure the ladies who are still with. Honor and respect the three ladies [[Miss Wilson and Miss Ballard and Miss Martin)that have gone home to heaven and pray for the much loved Supreme whos in real poor health.

Fondly,

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    yes civil conversation and respect is what we need to always strive for my dear Bluebrock. We dont want to go back to the nasty name calling days. Thats all behind us. Lets love and support and treasure the ladies who are still with. Honor and respect the three ladies [[Miss Wilson and Miss Ballard and Miss Martin)that have gone home to heaven and pray for the much loved Supreme whos in real poor health.

Fondly,

Roberta
    in these troubled and war-torn time, peace and understanding are the key words to our future. so let us simply, join hands. and hope that the wisdom of this move will bring ever, lasting peace.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    in these troubled and war-torn time, peace and understanding are the key words to our future. so let us simply, join hands. and hope that the wisdom of this move will bring ever, lasting peace.
    I'm lighting a candle as we speak.

There's still six months left in the year. Let's not throw our pity parties just yet. I suspect to some degree that if Mary were still alive, this anniversary would probably be a bit different. But clearly Universal is not wholly invested in honoring this anniversary of such an iconic act, because I believe the plans would've been put in last year to be rolled out throughout this year and it doesn't appear that's happening. I believe we'll get some kind of Supremes related product before the year is out, but there won't be any pomp and circumstance, bells and whistles, for the 60th. We'll just have to keep doing our part around the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    lolol didn't you recognize this line? it's the little speech Jean used for all of their closing number. Like Heaven Help us All, Exodus and Somewhere lolol

Can't wait to [[hopefully) hear them. I would hope Ms Ross would at least allow fans of the Supremes to celebrate the anniversary even if she does not want to actively participate.

Although I have a feeling in her live shows this year, she could at least mention the anniversary and Mary's passing.

Didnt that Schwartz guy from Universal say something along the lines that he was up for promoting more Mary Wilson material and Supremes Expanded Editions?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    A candle - I think we need a bonfire for anything to happen. What a crime.

I've a different, more cynical take. If Mary was still alive, sure, she'd be doing her usual media rounds promoting the 60th anniversary and the re-release of her album. But it would just be a short segment in which she would answer the same questions posed to her for the last few decades and on to the next segment following a commercial break. In no way would these promotional tours have received the same intensity of coverage that occurred right after she passed away.

Now who knows, now that Mary is dead, and thus no chance of a Supremes reunion, when Diana does whatever promotion she will do for her new album she may be a little more open to answering more questions about the Supremes. But that's a big if. And if asked, her answers will likely be her usual vapid new age positive goobleygook before she moves the conversation to how much she loves her children.