[REMOVE ADS]

Martha Reeves to receive star on Hollywood Walk of Fame

Congratulations to Martha, who I have known & loved since 1962. One of the most important musical artists in my lifetime!

ROCK ON, Dr. Reeves! A well-deserved honor for an honorably lived life. Sometimes [[such as now!) I wish I could tell my beloved performers, personally, what they have added to my life and just how much I admire them and wish them well. Martha Reeves, b!tch$s - BOW DOWN!

I love this! Long overdue recognition for one of my favorite and beloved singers.

Unrelated side note [[sort of): Tracee Ellis Ross will get her own Hollywood Walk of Fame Star for Television!

Congratulations to Martha Reeves... I notice that they have greatly increased the number of honorees per year... Used to be about 24 honorees per year and now it's up to 38... Just 7 years ago the fee from the recipient or representative was $25,000... I believe it's $50,000 today [[Andy Garcia told me that his star in the 90's was $5,000)... At 50k a pop, they are pulling down nearly 2 million this year for the cost of the ceremonies and mostly, maintenance...

A great honor for a great lady. Im so
    proud of Dr Reeves the First Lady Of Motown Records. I hope her sisters and her son are by her side. Very well deserved and long overdue.

Very deserving. Martha has been out there over 50 years giving it her all. Time
    to be acknowledged. Thank you Martha [[and Vandellas) for all the great music.

Well deserved. What took so long? Is it just her or is it MR&V?

About time Martha got some recognition. Dancing In The Street is not just Motown but Americana iconic. I've never tired of hearing it. All the major Motown acts deserve a star in Hollywood. Yeah, really, what took them so long?

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Well deserved. What took so long? Is it just her or is it MR&V?
    What likely took so long is that Martha apparently never had a nomination submitted for consideration by someone willing to guarantee the fee [[now $50,000 plus other incidental expenses, usually for a reception and other associated costs) for consideration...Once nominated, the numerous nominees names and bios go before a selection committee to decide who will be in the next years class of recipients in the various categories [[recently upped from 24 per year to now 38)... The sponsors then have 5 years to schedule the event and most importantly, submit the fee in full to the Chamber of Commerce before they will schedule that event and select a location... As I previously mentioned, it's apparent that the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce [[who runs the Walk Of Fame) has recently increased both the number of Stars presented each year, and the cost to the nominator/sponsor...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 06-19-2021 at 02:26 PM.

Thanks Stubass. I just figured a rock and roll legend like Martha already had star on the Walk of fame. Even with your explanation, it still baffles me that this wasn’t done before.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Thanks Stubass. I just figured a rock and roll legend like Martha already had star on the Walk of fame. Even with your explanation, it still baffles me that this wasn’t done before.
    Yes, no problem... Likely, nobody willing to guarantee $50,000 ever nominated her... The Chamber of Commerce only considers those with nominations and biographies submitted to them by willing sponsors...I have an acquaintance, a legendary musician who shall remain nameless that would be a shoo in for a Star if nominated, and I even offered to submit the nomination [[I've done one before) if I could count on his friends to come up with the fees...This person and his management/family is quite humble and told me he doesn't want to put his friends on the spot...and he has MANY very wealthy and famous friends...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 06-19-2021 at 02:49 PM.

This is long overdue. Congratulations Ms. Reeves!

Years ago, Harry Balk called me into his office to tell me he wanted me to revive Martha's career. I remember she and I had one meeting. I don't remember anything after that. I think Motown moved west, leaving the Detroit operation up in the air. I'm not sure I could have pulled off what Harry asked me to do, but I did have some good ideas,

Congratulations to Martha Reeves. Always love her showmanship.Great summer gig line-up was to see Ms. Reeves, her back up singers and The Contours. "Dancing in the Streets" and "Do You Love Me" in the same night was an awesome concert experience. Seeing Martha Reeves always keeps me running back.

Congratulations, Martha! Of all the Motown artists, your Martha & The Vandellas' Motown recordings are still among my very favorites and always will be.

Martha SHOULD have been had her star but I'm glad she's getting it while she is still with us!

Just another Motown legend to add to the cemented star plateau of the WOF.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Years ago, Harry Balk called me into his office to tell me he wanted me to revive Martha's career. I remember she and I had one meeting. I don't remember anything after that. I think Motown moved west, leaving the Detroit operation up in the air. I'm not sure I could have pulled off what Harry asked me to do, but I did have some good ideas,
    I so wish that had happened, Ralph. I love your productions [[i.e., Stoney & Meatloaf). That would have been just the boost that Martha needed to start getting airplay again.