[REMOVE ADS]

Streaming just aint working for the artists. No money for them

Trevor Noah did an enlightening piece about streaming on his DAILY SHOW last night. It explained exactly how the streaming system works for the artist and how they get practically nothing for each stream. Then he had Aloe Blacc take on the Music Streaming Business with a remix of his hit song.

Aloe Blacc knows a thing or two about the unfairly small profit that musicians make from streaming services. He calls the integrity of the music streaming industry into question with The Daily Show-exclusive remix to his hit song “I Need A Dollar."

Trevor's breakdown of how the streaming system works was educational. Hopefully, it is available somewhere on line.

The more things change, the more they remain the same. In another thread we discussed how artists got ripped off by labels in the fifies and sixties. In this video, Aloe Blacc says it is still happening in the streaming era.

I found the Daily Show on line.
    Trevor explores the impact of streaming on the music industry. The piece about Spotify and how it and other streaming services pays the artists starts at about 8:45 mark. It is educational and depressing.

https://www.cc.com/episodes/ydl6yl/t...ason-26-ep-108

This is why i've been against streaming. But, sympathetic feelings toward the artists can't compete with a cheap subscription of a few dollars a month. When people don't have money, and it's so easy to plug a phone into a car, no one is going to pay for even one song for $1.10 when they can get everything they want for $15.

Streaming may have killed file-sharing, but hasn't helped matters. Record companies suing people and installing root-kits into computers didn't help, either.

And, on the music side, record companies play it too safe by not allowing artists to grow. So what do artists do, they release their stuff independently. The problem is that they make even less money that way because they no longer have the support system of the major record labels.

But as record companies sign fewer artists, most companies A&R teams are much smaller these days, unsigned artists are having there moment of glory with streaming, it allows them to get there material out there.

I've discussed this, my pet peeve, before. Spotify has ruined the music business I knew. As a Motown producer I would receive about 5 cents per single sale. As an independent producer, Spotify would dish about .005 cents a stream. Absolutely ridiculous.
    Last edited by ralpht; 06-20-2021 at 08:21 AM.