[REMOVE ADS]

‘Spinning Gold’ Biopic About Casablanca Records Chief Neil Bogart

By Patrick Hipes

EXCLUSIVE: Spinning Gold, the long-in-the-works biopic about 1970s Casablanca Records chief Neil Bogart, is heating up again in time for the Cannes Virtual Market. The pic, written and directed by Bogart’s son Timothy Scott Bogart, has added Wiz Khalifa to play Parliament leader George Clinton, Tayla Parx to play Donna Summer, Ledisi to play Gladys Knight and Lyndsy Fonseca to play music manager Joyce Biawitz.

Production is now underway in New Jersey, and Capstone will introduce the film to Cannes market buyers next week.

Jeremy Jordan plays Neil Bogart in the the pic that charts the rise of his Buddah and Casablanca labels in the 1960s and ’70s with a roster that included Donna Summer, KISS, Parliament, Village People, The Isley Brothers, Gladys Knight and Bill Withers among others.

https://deadline.com/2021/06/spinnin...ic-1234777619/

Was this the same property which had Kelly Rowland attached for the Donna Summer role?

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Thanks for that link. Makes me even more anxious to see the biopic. Also brings back great memories of the disco era with Santa Esmerelda, Love and Kisses, and others.

Did not realize that Bogart was only 39 when he died. He packed quite a bit of living in his short life.

And, duh !!......It took reading the article to realize why Bogart named the label Casablanca. Of course, it is obvious, but I guess I never gave it a thought

@milven,

The drawing on the label and the 12” sleeves, which I always loved, certainly paid homage to the film.