[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Here are four blank musician contracts for the services of 7 musicians at $330 total signed by Leonard Chess.

Name:  Chess Contracts.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  95.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Wonderful information DW many thanks. Re the track "Quit Playing With Me" [[Fuqua/King/Foreman) I can`t find any other song by this trio but Harvey Fuqua and Isabella Foreman did pen "The Children`s Christmas Song" for DRATS.
    Hey Roger! I think you likely confused the actual songwriter name, Freeman, with the name listed on this mystery song--Foreman. In another thread in the DRATS forum last month, Children's Christmas Song was being discussed and I think it was determined at that time that Isabelle Freeman was the wife of LA arranger/conductor Ernie Freeman [or maybe it was Ernie writing under his wife's name due to contractual issues? Maybe?]. Anyway, the names [Foreman/Freeman] are close, so I can totally understand confusing the two.

Isn't this thread by DWSheffer A-M-A-Z-I-N-G?! It's literally peeking into a cool treasure trove of stuff we'd normally never get to see!

I assume this is a short speech Maurice may have given presenting Richard Street to an audience somewhere, which obviously references the Grammy winning Temptations song "Papa Was A Rollin' Stone". Maurice's composition for "Papa" is 15 pages long. We all know Paul Riser won a Grammy for his arrangement of the song as the Best R&B Instrumental of 1973.

Name:  PWRS Speech.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  102.2 KB

Name:  PWRS Score.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  94.0 KB

A couple blank recording studio contracts from D.M.D. Recording Co. in Ann Arbor, MI and V.R. Recording in Dearborn Heights, MI.

Name:  Recording Contracts.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  92.7 KB

My biggest hope was I would find some Supremes nuggets in the boxes. Unfortunately there weren't any rehearsal tapes with the ladies or any specific paperwork referencing the Supremes. There was one reel that was labeled Supremes, but unfortunately they were not on the tape contained in the box. At any rate, these are the only items I could possibly tie to being in the room during a rehearsal between Maurice and the Supremes. I would almost bet these pieces of sheet music were used by Mr. King in the rehearsals with the girls. [[On most all the tapes I have it's just Maurice on the piano coaching the artist's vocals.) There is also a handwritten arrangement started for "You're Nobody" which we all know the story surrounding Diana's "love" for that tune initially!

Name:  Supremes SM.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  92.0 KB

Name:  Supremes SM1.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  93.0 KB

Two more compositions, for the Detroit Emeralds "You Want It You Got It", as well as a solo David Ruffin piece "Yesterday Medley".

Name:  Ruffin Emeralds.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  93.0 KB

Another composition for "Try It Baby" for The Temptations Show TV special in 1969.

Name:  Tempts Try It.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  96.6 KB

What a treasure! Thank you so much for sharing. Duke is looking pretty sharp and you look much younger than I anticipated to have such an interest and collection. After I cook dinner I'll take a leisurely look. I love Motown, but especially The Temptations. My goal is to visit the Motown Museum this Spring or Summer. Thanks again.

I believe I'm now at the end of posting the most interesting items from the archive. I left my favorite find for last. When I acquired these items, it was a jumbled mixed up mess of totes full of papers. You would look through a pile, and in between each composition as items from different eras of Maurice's life were mixed together. When I found the grouping below I was extremely happy. I had posed a question to the forum at the time, but didn't reveal why until now.

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...s+singing+rain

I still do not know what this piece was created for. Maurice combined "Singing In The Rain" and "Rain" into this "Rain Medley" written for The Temptations. As you can see, the original sheet music for "Rain" belonged to Cholly Atkins.....we'll assume Maurice just borrowed it, haha!

I was beyond excited when I found the rehearsal lyric sheets signed and notated by David Ruffin, Melvin, I know the one is Otis' handwriting, as well as Maurice's notes. This was the most special and personal connection to the Motown inner workings I found in the archive, besides the reel to reel tapes which are in a category of their own!

I do hope everyone has enjoyed seeing the highlights of the Maurice King archive!
    Darin

Name:  Tempts.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  88.8 KB

Name:  Tempts1.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  95.9 KB

Here is David's copy:

Name:  Tempts David.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  90.7 KB

Melvin's copy:

Name:  Tempts Melvin.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  89.9 KB

Otis' copy:

Name:  Tempts Otis.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  90.2 KB

I believe this one was Paul's copy:

Name:  Tempts Paul.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  90.2 KB

This one I'm not certain who it was used by:

Name:  Tempts2.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  88.6 KB

Thanks for sharing your collection. Any idea what you might do with it all? Do you think that the Motown Museum might be interested in some of this material?

I have it separated between the Motown items, and the pre and post Motown eras of Maurice's career. I do plan on ultimately offering all of my Motown collection to the Motown Museum, if they are interested and have a proper place to house it. I briefly chatted with Robin Terry about this at Duke's book signing in May. I maybe wrong, but I doubt they will want the bulk of the King material. I've considered donating that to a number of other museums in Detroit/Michigan.

Hi Dan, You

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    Hey Roger! I think you likely confused the actual songwriter name, Freeman, with the name listed on this mystery song--Foreman. In another thread in the DRATS forum last month, Children's Christmas Song was being discussed and I think it was determined at that time that Isabelle Freeman was the wife of LA arranger/conductor Ernie Freeman [or maybe it was Ernie writing under his wife's name due to contractual issues? Maybe?]. Anyway, the names [Foreman/Freeman] are close, so I can totally understand confusing the two.

Isn't this thread by DWSheffer A-M-A-Z-I-N-G?! It's literally peeking into a cool treasure trove of stuff we'd normally never get to see!
    Hi Dan , I`m sorry I messed up and thanks for the correction. I`ve made up lists of all the composers what they wrote and who sang them and I stuffed up on this one - I`ll amend it. Yes we are indebted to DWSheffer for sharing this wonderful paperwork with us. Just imagine what Berry Gordy is holding on to!

Hi!

This is an interesting thread.
    Please find a photo of "Ching Chong" below:
    https://www.soulexpress.net/deep1_2014.htm#gladys

Best regards
    Heikki

excellent work...very interesting.

Hi Darin My name is Ted Vaillant I am a big band leader in Thunder Bay Ontario [[north of Duluth MN
    I am intrieged by this Maurice King collection. I know that prior to his days at Motown he was the musical director of an all girl big band called THe International Sweethearts of Rhythm. I am planning a concert saluting women in jazz and am looking for any of the chafts mr King wrote for this band. Here are some titles Maybe they are in your collection.
    Galvanizing
    THat man of Mine
    Dont get twisted
    shes crazy with the heat
    vi vigor
    diggin dykes

i know its a long shot but are any of titles in the collection?

ted

Hi Ted,
    The bulk of the charts are earlier material. I can't say right off if any of these titles are in the boxes of thousands that I have. I would surmise though that there are definitely examples from this era. I don't know what sort of timeframe you're working on but if I had time I might be able to do a general search.
    Darin

wow that quite kind of you...probably anything with labeled "The International Sweethearts of Rhythm" would be great but the real kickers would be original composed charts by Mr King. Even if our band could one number at our Women in Jazz show it would be special...our show is scheduled for early March but anytime would be great. Thanks Again
    Ted in Canada

Wow, Darin! Congrats on a truly fantastic haul! I'm especially impressed by those reel-to-reel recordings. It's especially exciting knowing that those reels were being recorded in the background at Motown while the rest of us were simultaneously falling in love with Motown from hundreds of miles away.