[REMOVE ADS]

Diana's "Cross My Heart"

If we're going to post random Diana songs to fawn over, I thought I'd offer one of my favorites from the Lady.

The album "Red Hot Rhythm and Blues" never did much for me [[although I wish the US version would have included "Mr. Lee"), but this song is a GEM.

Just a very pretty song, with a fantastic vocal by Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    [video=youtube;3Zrv1yPblxc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zrv1yPblxc

In a nutshell....

If we're going to post random Diana songs to fawn over, I thought I'd offer one of my favorites from the Lady.

The album "Red Hot Rhythm and Blues" never did much for me [[although I wish the US version would have included "Mr. Lee"), but this song is a GEM.

Beautiful song. This little gem along with the sublime "It's hard for me to say" proved she could put out quality music in the 80's. I always loved this song. Simply gorgeous.

i was just listening to it too, the other day. it's a very strong song on RHRAB.

it made me sit and think what on that album might have appealed to the overall pop market. and i don't think this would have done that. I wondered at first, maybe it might. but i think it's a little too sweet and cute. beautifully produced and sung. but i think something a bit more harder is necessary for the 80s pop audience

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i was just listening to it too, the other day. it's a very strong song on RHRAB.

it made me sit and think what on that album might have appealed to the overall pop market. and i don't think this would have done that. I wondered at first, maybe it might. but i think it's a little too sweet and cute. beautifully produced and sung. but i think something a bit more harder is necessary for the 80s pop audience
    To your point, I don't think it made a good fit on an album called "Red Hot Rhythm and Blues". It is much more "pop" sounding than R & B.

Fun fact: the writer of this song also wrote "New Attitude" for Patti LaBelle.

Given the songs that made Red Hot Rhythm and Blues, what would have been a more suitable album title?

To your point, I don't think it made a good fit on an album called "Red Hot Rhythm and Blues". It is much more "pop" sounding than R & B.
    I wish the whole album had consisted of modern, contemporary material.. Red Hot R & B it certainly wasn't, but there really are some lovely songs and performances on the album.
    This little gem is just one casualty of being marooned on an album that couldn’t quite make up its mind what it wanted to be.
    The title was fake advertising, to long winded and probably hurt prospective sales.

This how all songs on WSFFIL and Silk should have been sung and produced.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I wish the whole album had consisted of modern, contemporary material.. Red Hot R & B it certainly wasn't, but there really are some lovely songs and performances on the album.
    This little gem is just one casualty of being marooned on an album that couldn’t quite make up its mind what it wanted to be.
    The title was fake advertising, to long winded and probably hurt prospective sales.
    i agree. and at this point in her career, doing a specialty album or a retrospective, wasn't a good idea. she needed something very calculated and strategic to re-establish herself on the charts. she hadn't had a pop #1 since Endless Love. she came close a few times with RCA content but that last real hit was Missing You several years prior.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Given the songs that made Red Hot Rhythm and Blues, what would have been a more suitable album title?
    I would have left "Cross Your Heart" off and included it on a more pop oriented release.

but there weren't a ton of highly viable tracks left off the US version. yeah Mr Lee and another one or two. but frankly those weren't really great either

Lovely song!

Not sure if i have said this before but RH was a mish mash of two proposed albums. One album was meant to be the original soundtrack to the tv special containing principally cover versions, whilst the other album was meant to be made up of modern, contemporary material. When it became evident she was leaving rca they settled upon an uneasy mixture of both styles.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i agree. and at this point in her career, doing a specialty album or a retrospective, wasn't a good idea. she needed something very calculated and strategic to re-establish herself on the charts. she hadn't had a pop #1 since Endless Love. she came close a few times with RCA content but that last real hit was Missing You several years prior.
    Absolutely. Diana’s profile, at least in the UK was pretty low at the time of the albums release. I can kind of understand why certain songs were left off the USA version of the album.
    At that point in time Diana desperately needed commercial, contemporary material that would restore her to the charts. “Tell Mama” And “Mr Lee” were not likely to do that and should have been left alone for the tv special.
    “Cross My Heart” and “Shine” were the two songs most likely to achieve pop chart success. “Hard For Me To Say” would most probably have done well on the r & b charts.
    Releasing the hauntingly beautiful “Summertime” might have been a risk worth taking.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    “Flop Mess”

Absolutely. Diana’s profile, at least in the UK was pretty low at the time of the albums release. I can kind of understand why certain songs were left off the USA version of the album.
    At that point in time Diana desperately needed commercial, contemporary material that would restore her to the charts. “Tell Mama” And “Mr Lee” were not likely to do that and should have been left alone for the tv special.
    “Cross My Heart” and “Shine” were the two songs most likely to achieve pop chart success. “Hard For Me To Say” would most probably have done well on the r & b charts.
    Releasing the hauntingly beautiful “Summertime” might have been a risk worth taking.
    Summertime is one of my favorite Diana songs. Getting to see her sing it live at Jones Beach, an open air amphitheater on the beach in the summer was wonderful. She sang it beautifully. I also loved Stranger in Paradise. She should have ditched the title, the covers except for There Goes My Baby and called the album Dirty Looks which I quite liked and she looked stunning in the video for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deepdishus2001 View Post
    Summertime is one of my favorite Diana songs. Getting to see her sing it live at Jones Beach, an open air amphitheater on the beach in the summer was wonderful. She sang it beautifully. I also loved Stranger in Paradise. She should have ditched the title, the covers except for There Goes My Baby and called the album Dirty Looks which I quite liked and she looked stunning in the video for it.
    I never knew she had performed the song live. What year was that?.
    I agree about ditching covers and most certainly the title. I think ‘quite nice’ sums up “Dirty Looks”. It was never going to be a massive hit no matter how good a video. Diana is in superb voice throughout the album making it even more of a shame it was generally overlooked.

Did she sing Summertime live ? I have alway heard that when she did her shortened Red Hot tour, she didn't even did one song from the album

I never knew she had performed the song live. What year was that?.
    I agree about ditching covers and most certainly the title. I think ‘quite nice’ sums up “Dirty Looks”. It was never going to be a massive hit no matter how good a video. Diana is in superb voice throughout the album making it even more of a shame it was generally overlooked.
    June 27, 1987 in New York. She was pregnant with Evan I believe. Getting to see and hear her sing that and also be able to see her sing I Thought that We Were Still in Love, It’s Hard for Me to Say, Reach Out, Forever Came Today, You Are Not Alone and particularly I’m Still Waiting are all concert going highlights for me. Especially I’m Still Waiting since she rarely or hardly ever sang it in the U.S. Still hoping one day, though highly unlikely, to hear her sing I Thought It Took A Little Time. Maybe even one line like she sang for Bluebrock. Lol

Dirty Looks reached number 12 US R&B but as previously stated RCA had given up on Diana, Kenny Rogers, Barry Manilow so no chance for crossover to pop chart.
    Last edited by Deepdishus2001; 06-19-2021 at 07:09 AM.

“Cross My Heart” has been my song of the week. The fact it still sounds so fresh and relevant here in 2021 proves what a missed opportunity it was not releasing it as a single.

LMAO @ this thread! I put the RHR&B album in my car about 5 days ago and I've been listening to Dirty Looks, Shockwave [[my fave on the album) Summertime, Stranger in Paradise, There Goes my Baby and this song!!!!!

P.S, it grinds the heck out of my gears when videos are put out, but the song is on some other world edition of the album, and not the U.S version!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JLoveLamar View Post
    LMAO @ this thread! I put the RHR&B album in my car about 5 days ago and I've been listening to Dirty Looks, Shockwave [[my fave on the album) Summertime, Stranger in Paradise, There Goes my Baby and this song!!!!!
    What about the beautiful "It's hard for me to say"?

Good album.if it had been released in 83 ,probably would have hit .
    Some good tracks on Red Hot

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Good album.if it had been released in 83 ,probably would have hit .
    Some good tracks on Red Hot
    Some great songs alongside 2 or 3 not so good tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Some great songs alongside 2 or 3 not so good tunes.
    Oddly, I think this project only sold 88000 units although I could be wrong. Summertime was simply perfect and was possibly worth risking as a release. However, I did feel dupped by the title. The content overshadowed the title.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Oddly, I think this project only sold 88000 units although I could be wrong. Summertime was simply perfect and was possibly worth risking as a release. However, I did feel dupped by the title. The content overshadowed the title.
    It was anything but a major seller so you may well be right. There are 5 or 6 lovely songs on there, but there are also a handful of songs that rank alongside her very worst recordings. A very mixed bag to say the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    What about the beautiful "It's hard for me to say"?
    Love that song, also! Mr. Blue, on my way to work , I blasted the song in your honor. Thank you so much for taking care of Miss Ross for us and for answering our questions! I love this woman so damn much!

Quote Originally Posted by JLoveLamar View Post
    Love that song, also! Mr. Blue, on my way to work , I blasted the song in your honor. Thank you so much for taking care of Miss Ross for us and for answering our questions! I love this woman so damn much!
    Delighted to hear that Lamar. Thank you for your kind words. It means a lot. She is a very special lady for sure.