[REMOVE ADS]

what song most deserved a Grammy?

given Miss Mary Brewster's colorful commentary about Diana Ross shitting a grammy sideways lololol made me think about the songs that were nominated. and of course SO MUCH wonderful content wasn't even nominated.

what songs or albums [[solo or group) should have received a grammy?

I'll start

Supremes Sing Rodgers & Hart
    diana 1980
    Ain't No Mountain High Enough

Ain't No Mountain High Enough
    Lady Sings The Blues
    Touch Me in the Morning
    The Boss
    Endless Love
    Missing You
    What About Love

“Turn Me Over” remains under appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    That would be my choice too Ollie along with the rest of Silk Electric and Why do fools!

For Diana solo:

"Upside Down" without a doubt. I also think the album "diana" should have been a strong contender.

For some reason, I also think "Remember Me" is Grammy worthy; maybe not for the win, but definitely for a nomination.

The Supremes/DRATS:

"Love Child" [[single) should have had a nomination. Perhaps the subject matter was just "too much"? "Little Green Apples" won in 1969, LOL.

"Diana Ross and the Supremes Join the Temptations" [[LP). Was this one of the first examples of two extremely popular groups joining forces?

Now the real question: do you think the Grammy's [[etc.) always threw a little bit of shade at Mr. Gordy for his "record keeping practices"? And the Supremes suffered because of it?

One last thing: did the Supremes ever attend the Grammy's? By today's standards, they should have either performed or at the very least, been seated in the front row of the ceremony. Didn't Mary say that the year "STOP" was nominated, they didn't find out until AFTER?

hahaha - Ollie which would you award the statue to? lol

Turn me over
    girls
    I am me

lol

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Now the real question: do you think the Grammy's [[etc.) always threw a little bit of shade at Mr. Gordy for his "record keeping practices"? And the Supremes suffered because of it?

One last thing: did the Supremes ever attend the Grammy's? By today's standards, they should have either performed or at the very least, been seated in the front row of the ceremony. Didn't Mary say that the year "STOP" was nominated, they didn't find out until AFTER?
    absolutely. I don't know if it was so much about recordkeeping practices. but more just that Motown was an upstart. a puny little independent that was rocking the boat too much. Plus motown wouldn't let the RIAA in to certify and so that certainly didn't help

and back then i don't know that the ceremonies were that big of a deal. not like today

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post

Not sure why Motown was so neglected at the Grammys during the 60s, but I suspect many winning companies could also be accused of less than ideal record-keeping.

As to whether the Supremes attended a ceremony, the ceremonies in the 60s weren't the star-studded spectacles we see today. I think they would get together at a hotel or ballroom and give out the awards. The awards ceremony wasn't even televised until 1971. Before then, they would do tv specials that paid tribute to the winners.

For the Supremes
    "You Can't Hurry Love"

For Diana
    Call Me I Love You
    Ani't No Mountain High Enough

I was going to make this thread!

Supremes - Baby Love, You can't hurry love, You keep me hanging on, Rodgers and Hart, Reflections. Love Child.

Solo - Mountain, Remember Me, LSTB, The Boss, Diana, Missing You.
    Last edited by Bluebrock; 06-18-2021 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    hahaha - Ollie which would you award the statue to? lol

Turn me over
    girls
    I am me

lol
    Probably “Turn Me Over” as all production credits are attributed to Diana alone. I can’t remember if a co-writer was involved or whether it was penned entirely by herself.
    If so, it certainly deserved some form of accolade. Best original song perhaps?.

Probably “Turn Me Over” as all production credits are attributed to Diana alone. I can’t remember if a co-writer was involved or whether it was penned entirely by herself.
    If so, it certainly deserved some form of accolade. Best original song perhaps?.
    I am amazed this song has not become a standard, but i guess there is still time!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I am amazed this song has not become a standard, but i guess there is still time!
    There were rumours of an expanded version, but i personally have never heard it.
    It certainly would have lent itself to a club mix.

There were rumours of an expanded version, but i personally have never heard it.
    It certainly would have lent itself to a club mix.
    I was devastated we did not get additional mixes on the Silk Electric expanded edition! Hopefully there is still time.

now let's be honest here. it was just a funny little gimmick for the vinyl. no one really intended this as a "song" but more like today's little hidden tracks or those snippets that were hidden on cds before or after a track. like on the #1s when Diana laughs and jokes after You Keep Me Hangin On

it's fun and unique

It should be a standard classic in her live act. Stop In The Name of Love leads right into Turn Me Over. Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    it's fun and unique
    Its more then even that, it’s totally amazing.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 06-18-2021 at 01:03 PM.

And to think Ross wrote it herself and is still not in the Hall of Fame as a solo artist?? Outrageous!!
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 06-18-2021 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    And to think Ross wrote it herself and is still not in the Hall of Fame as a solo artist?? Outrageous!!
    Excellent point Circa.

If I recall correctly, Blossom Dearie recorded something quite similar, perhaps word by word similar, on one of the Ben Bagley series records in the '60s or early '70s. So Diana might want to lawyer up, in case she is sued for claiming authorship of this song.

Excellent point Circa.
    Thank you, Ollie

'Take Me Higher' , without a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    'Take Me Higher' , without a doubt.
    THIS times a million!!!!! One of the songs I listen to when I want to raise my vibration ����. I was shocked to find it is not well liked here

Quote Originally Posted by JLoveLamar View Post
    THIS times a million!!!!! One of the songs I listen to when I want to raise my vibration ����. I was shocked to find it is not well liked here
    It is very well liked by me, and Ms Ross herself always liked the song, but i am not sure if it is Grammy worthy.

"Remember Me" by Ashford and Simpson. Diana Ross by Diana Ross. Has anyone else sung this awesome song?

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    "Remember Me" by Ashford and Simpson. Diana Ross by Diana Ross. Has anyone else sung this awesome song?
    Other than the original demo by Val Simpson i have nor heard any other versions. It is my all time favourite Ms Ross performance, and i do not harbour any wishes to hear anyone else perform it.

I think for the 60's grouping that Stop! in the name of Love was Grammy worthy. For the 70's I am surprised that Stoned Love wasn't nominated or River Deep-Mountain High with the 4 Tops, considering Diana got a nomination for [[I Love You) Call Me. I would even say had a disco category been there that I'M Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking was worthy of a nomination. For Diana-of course Ain't No Mountain High Enough, Remember Me and Love Hangover.

Other than the original demo by Val Simpson i have nor heard any other versions. It is my all time favourite Ms Ross performance, and i do not harbour any wishes to hear anyone else perform it.

Hope you like it!

Their MAGIC album also features a great version of "I'm Ready For Love".

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post

Hope you like it!

Their MAGIC album also features a great version of "I'm Ready For Love".
    Wow! I was blissfully unaware of this version. It's quite nice actually. Very nice in fact. Thank you for posting.

In the Netherlands, "Remember Me/Ain't No Mountain High Enough" was the first single of the Boys Town Gang, which became a top 10 hit [[#7 on the Top 40, the Dutch Billboards). This was in 1981, when Diana Ross was at the peak of her popularity in the Netherlands, which undoubtedly contributed to the success of the Boys Town Gang. Their second single, "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" hit #1.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post

In the Netherlands, "Remember Me/Ain't No Mountain High Enough" was the first single of the Boys Town Gang, which became a top 10 hit [[#7 on the Top 40, the Dutch Billboards). This was in 1981, when Diana Ross was at the peak of her popularity in the Netherlands, which undoubtedly contributed to the success of the Boys Town Gang. Their second single, "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" hit #1.
    I never knew that. I have heard of the Boys Town Gang. I think they may have had a couple of hits in the UK, but i cannot recall what they were. Thank you for letting me know. It seems there are more versions of Remember Me out there than i had imagined.

I have heard of the Boys Town Gang. I think they may have had a couple of hits in the UK, but i cannot recall what they were.
    The [[minor) hits for them downunder were a disco version of 'Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You' and a hi-nrg original 'Disco Kicks'.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    The [[minor) hits for them downunder were a disco version of 'Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You' and a hi-nrg original 'Disco Kicks'.
    I much prefer Gloria Gaynor's version the dancefloor goes crazy when i dj at a gay club

I was glancing through this thread and thought that this was a genuine comment, so I put the song on… and then it played… and then I realised you guys were taking the piss…

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I was glancing through this thread and thought that this was a genuine comment, so I put the song on… and then it played… and then I realised you guys were taking the piss…
    LOL. I knew there would be somebody Tom.

LOL. I knew there would be somebody Tom.
    You got me Ollie!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I'm SCREAMING!!!!!

As a Supreme:
    Baby Love
    I Hear a Symphony
    Love Is Here and Now You’re Gone
    Love Child

Solo:
    Ain’t No Mountain High Enough
    Remember Me
    Touch Me in the Morning
    Theme from Mahogany
    Love Hangover
    No One Gets the Prize [[she slayed vocally on that track!!!)
    Upside Down
    It's My Turn

Post-Motown:
    Mirror Mirror [[rock)
    Missing You
    Chain Reaction, if RCA had properly promoted it!

Motown renaissance period:
    When You Tell Me That You Love Me
    Take Me Higher [[dance)
    Every Day is a New Day [[R&B)