[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Sensational HOME

This is One of the best songs out there take it home sister you’re incredible

Sorry, but it's horseshit next to Stephanie Mills.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Uh wow.

I love Diana's version of Home too!

She comes no where near Diana Rosses version not even close

Diana’s version is good but Stephine’s version is fabulous

Diana's version of "Home" is one of my favorite of all of her songs. I was so enthralled by one camera shot of her singing it in the movie, "The Wiz." If she wasn't done live, she sure did an excellent job of lip-synching it and displaying the emotions of the lyrics at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Diana's version of "Home" is one of my favorite of all of her songs. I was so enthralled by one camera shot of her singing it in the movie, "The Wiz." If she wasn't done live, she sure did an excellent job of lip-synching it and displaying the emotions of the lyrics at the same time.
    Definitely was not live, but it is a phenomenal scene. I love her version and that film so much. Just fills you up with so much love and hope. I cannot get enough of this woman.

Love “Home” by Diana Ross.

The performances of "Home" by Stephanie Mills and Diana Ross are both phenomonal and there is little need for me at least to favor one over the other [[the live versions by Whitney Houston and Shanice Williams are impressive too). In her essay about Diana Ross, Daphne A. Brooks describes how she re-watched Ross's performance of "Home" at Central Park after George Zimmerman was acquitted of killing Trayvon Martin. I love what Brooks writes:

<< What speaks to me now about her version of the song and the context in which she sang it that night in 1983 is that it was linked to her effort to fund the building of a symbolically safe place for children at the center of a city that would see, in the 1980s, teen boys of color shot in the back by vigilantes and wrongfully convicted of gang rape in that same park. What if this music could literally and figuratively make a new home for them, touch others and challenge other to love outside of their own interests? […] What if it could transform social fear into social love, so that it would be possible for all children – regardless of color – to joyfully roam and get home safely? >>

Daphne A. Brooks [[2014), ‘Let’s Talk About Diana Ross’, in C. Wilson [[ed.), Let’s Talk About Love: Why Other People Have Such Bad Taste, 2nd ed., New York: Bloomsbury, pp. 205-220.

Wow thank you for this

Personally speaking i wouldn't have put it in such graphic terms, but i do agree with you in principal.
    Everyone on here knows how much i love, adore and admire Ms Diana Ross. I feel blessed and honoured to be referred to as her friend for over 30 glorious years, but even i have to concede this to Stephanie Mills whose version just has to be the definitive version. Diana does a mighty fine version, but Ms Mills owns this song game set and match.

I think Ross gave a heartfelt performance of Home. I think it pales in comparison to Stephanie Mills' version, but it is still good in its own merits.

Well I gave Stephanie’s home version another chance just listen to it I find it pretty awful actually I couldn’t even watch the whole thing there’s no way in my humble opinion but she is better than Diana Ross on the song no way no way no way no need to retaliate but that’s what I been hearing

Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post
    Well I gave Stephanie’s home version another chance just listen to it I find it pretty awful actually I couldn’t even watch the whole thing there’s no way in my humble opinion but she is better than Diana Ross on the song no way no way no way no need to retaliate but that’s what I been hearing
    You are perfectly entitled to your opinion, but you must also accept that not everyone agrees with that opinion. Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one. You should respect other members opinions even if they differ from yours. Variety is the spice of life and it would be a dull old world if we all had the same opinion.

Exactly I’m sure most agree with me cheers and a big hug

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    You are perfectly entitled to your opinion, but you must also accept that not everyone agrees with that opinion. Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one. You should respect other members opinions even if they differ from yours. Variety is the spice of life and it would be a dull old world if we all had the same opinion.
    Thanks for my first big chuckle of the day Blue.

Personally speaking i wouldn't have put it in such graphic terms, but i do agree with you in principal.
    Everyone on here knows how much i love, adore and admire Ms Diana Ross. I feel blessed and honoured to be referred to as her friend for over 30 glorious years, but even i have to concede this to Stephanie Mills whose version just has to be the definitive version. Diana does a mighty fine version, but Ms Mills owns this song game set and match.
    I'm very colorful and call a spade a spade, LOL. But I'll concede that maybe "horseshit" was a bit too much. Regardless, I think when you have a song that's so synonymous with an artist, anything else will look like a valiant effort, and nothing else. "I Will Survive" will ALWAYS belong to Gloria Gaynor. On the flipside, "Mahogany" by Mariah or J-Lo will never, ever hold a candle to Diana's glorious production.

So there. For the record, I DO LOVE Diana Ross. But I don't think every single song she did was worthy of her shitting a Grammy sideways.

It’s no good sitting on the fence.

I'm very colorful and call a spade a spade, LOL. But I'll concede that maybe "horseshit" was a bit too much. Regardless, I think when you have a song that's so synonymous with an artist, anything else will look like a valiant effort, and nothing else. "I Will Survive" will ALWAYS belong to Gloria Gaynor. On the flipside, "Mahogany" by Mariah or J-Lo will never, ever hold a candle to Diana's glorious production.

So there. For the record, I DO LOVE Diana Ross. But I don't think every single song she did was worthy of her shitting a Grammy sideways.
    Nice choice of words in your final sentence, but i have to applaud you and pretty much agree with everything you say, but i am experiencing some difficulty in putting that ghastly thought out of my head!

My favorite version is Stephanie Mills' version on her 1988 album Home backed by Take 6. But I also enjoy Diana Ross' version.

Nice choice of words in your final sentence, but i have to applaud you and pretty much agree with everything you say, but i am experiencing some difficulty in putting that ghastly thought out of my head!
    At least I said a Grammy and not an AMA!

I appreciate your long association and friendship with Miss Diana, and I hope you know most of my words are in jest. I admire and love the Lady much, much more than will every be portrayed on a public forum; many of the reasons personal. But admiration doesn't mean I place her on a pedestal. The same with Mary. I'm very much Team Wilson, but I do have two eyes also; over the years, the same eyes that have rolled with some of Mary's antics.

I just wanted to thank you Bluebrock for always sharing your wonderful stories.

I think this is the first time im disagreeing with yoiu my dear one but im not a fan of the Stephanie Mills version at all. When I saw the 1979 TV Show on HBO of Miss Ross and the veins in her neck bulging out as she belted out the wiz I think i went to Heaven. Im glad i didnt. Thats my fanal destination and yours too but not for many many many more years. xx

Agreed it’s one of the most uplifting songs of all time Diana has a beauty in her voice unmatched ��

At least I said a Grammy and not an AMA!

I appreciate your long association and friendship with Miss Diana, and I hope you know most of my words are in jest. I admire and love the Lady much, much more than will every be portrayed on a public forum; many of the reasons personal. But admiration doesn't mean I place her on a pedestal. The same with Mary. I'm very much Team Wilson, but I do have two eyes also; over the years, the same eyes that have rolled with some of Mary's antics.

I just wanted to thank you Bluebrock for always sharing your wonderful stories.
    Of course i know you are speaking tongue in cheek for the most part!
    I think it is wrong to place anyone on a pedestal. As you can guess i am and have always been team Ross rather than team Wilson, but like yourself i can find many faults in the behaviour of both ladies over the years. I learned things i will never go public with, and that is especially the case now Mary has passed. I just wish they had made their peace when they were able to, but nothing can take away what they achieved together with Flo in the 60's.
    I am always pleased when i receive positive feedback. I am very careful with what i post, and i have been repremanded on a couple of occasions for saying too much.
    Nowadays if i think i may be overstepping the line i seek permission before posting. I have no desire to undo almost 35 years of friendship in one misguided moment!
    Thank you again for your kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    I think this is the first time im disagreeing with yoiu my dear one but im not a fan of the Stephanie Mills version at all. When I saw the 1979 TV Show on HBO of Miss Ross and the veins in her neck bulging out as she belted out the wiz I think i went to Heaven. Im glad i didnt. Thats my fanal destination and yours too but not for many many many more years. xx
    I agree with you regarding Ms Ross's full blooded performance on the Vegas show. She was on fire around that time and she knew it too.
    I have no problem with you disagreeing with me. It's very much a close run thing with me too, but i have to give the nod to Ms Mills who really made that role her own when she was a young performer.
    Hope all is well with you my dear friend.

I agree with you regarding Ms Ross's full blooded performance on the Vegas show. She was on fire around that time and she knew it too.
    I have no problem with you disagreeing with me. It's very much a close run thing with me too, but i have to give the nod to Ms Mills who really made that role her own when she was a young performer.
    79 was just a spectacular period for Miss Ross. live and in studio her voice was perfect

Home has never been a song i cared much about, one way or another. i agree Diana gives a passionate performance. But let's face it - in 1978 you would EXPECT diana to deliver that. of course she would sing the heck out of it.

but stephanie was young, inexperienced and still delivered that powerhouse! that's exceptional.

I have no complaints my dear Bluebrock. I feel very blessed we surviced this but Im not ready to take my mask off just yet. Sending you love and light.

xxx

"Home" was to "THE WIZ" what "And I Am Telling You" was to "DREAMGIRLS". The masterpiece of the play, and later, movie. Watching a young Jennifer Holliday BELT out that number is something that can't ever been compared or topped. Jennifer Hudson gave it a go, and it was fabulous. But Holliday peed all over that stage with that number.

I'm not saying Diana's "Home" was bad. By a long shot. Like others have said, she was really in her prime around this time. But Stephanie OWNED that song and made it hers.

"Home" was to "THE WIZ" what "And I Am Telling You" was to "DREAMGIRLS". The masterpiece of the play, and later, movie. Watching a young Jennifer Holliday BELT out that number is something that can't ever been compared or topped. Jennifer Hudson gave it a go, and it was fabulous. But Holliday peed all over that stage with that number.

I'm not saying Diana's "Home" was bad. By a long shot. Like others have said, she was really in her prime around this time. But Stephanie OWNED that song and made it hers.
    Have to agree with you regarding "And i'm telling you". Jennifer Holliday will NEVER be topped despite creditable attempts by Jennifer Hudson and Whitney Houston, and i say this as someone who found Ms Holliday to be one of the worst examples of a human being i have ever encountered. I cannot tell you how rude that woman was, and you would not believe what she said to me when i complimented her on her vocal capabilities. A totally ghastly woman, but an absolute peerless vocalist.

I tend to believe that the artist that originates the song usually owns it. I do appreciate and love the covers especially when they are reinvented or interpreted in a different way. I know it’s discussed in a different thread but I love the Tops Reach Out and the A&S reinvention of it for Diana. To me, People and The Way We Were belong to Barbra and to me, her version of Somewhere is the definitive version.

Have to agree with you regarding "And i'm telling you". Jennifer Holliday will NEVER be topped despite creditable attempts by Jennifer Hudson and Whitney Houston, and i say this as someone who found Ms Holliday to be one of the worst examples of a human being i have ever encountered. I cannot tell you how rude that woman was, and you would not believe what she said to me when i complimented her on her vocal capabilities. A totally ghastly woman, but an absolute peerless vocalist.
    About two decades or so ago, I shared a stage with JH for a small Pride celebration in Saint Paul, MN. This was around the time that she REALLY lost a lot of weight. She was late, and was VERY diva-ish. All I could think about was how much a fall does one have to take that you're once the toast of Broadway; now you've got drag queens opening for you on a small stage in the heat of summer in the Midwest.

About two decades or so ago, I shared a stage with JH for a small Pride celebration in Saint Paul, MN. This was around the time that she REALLY lost a lot of weight. She was late, and was VERY diva-ish. All I could think about was how much a fall does one have to take that you're once the toast of Broadway; now you've got drag queens opening for you on a small stage in the heat of summer in the Midwest.
    She was truly dreadful, and treated everyone like dogshit. It is such a pity that someone with such a God given talent could be such a vile and loathsome human being. I kept my composure during the time i spent with her, but i made a vow that i would rather French kiss a family of rabid skunks than work with that woman again.
    I am sorry you experienced similar behaviour during your encounter.

how much a fall does one have to take that you're once the toast of broadway; now you've got drag queens opening for you on a small stage in the heat of summer in the midwest.
    boom,splat, plop

My goodness, what an expose' for a Friday morning!!! If she was THAT bad, did anyone ever put her in her place?

I have heard over the years that both Dionne and Shirley Bassey could have their less-than-cordial moments but I guess since I adore both of them, I never wanted to believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    My goodness, what an expose' for a Friday morning!!! If she was THAT bad, did anyone ever put her in her place?

I have heard over the years that both Dionne and Shirley Bassey could have their less-than-cordial moments but I guess since I adore both of them, I never wanted to believe it.
    I never worked directly with Dionne, but i can certainly verify that working with Dame Shirley should come with a Government health warning!

Quote Originally Posted by Deepdishus2001 View Post
    I tend to believe that the artist that originates the song usually owns it. I do appreciate and love the covers especially when they are reinvented or interpreted in a different way. I know it’s discussed in a different thread but I love the Tops Reach Out and the A&S reinvention of it for Diana. To me, People and The Way We Were belong to Barbra and to me, her version of Somewhere is the definitive version.
    Barbra's version of Somewhere is one of my very favourite performances of all time. The song has always greatly moved me, but when i heard Bab's version it took me to paradise and back. I told her this when i worked with her 2 or 3 years ago, and she seemed genuinely delighted when i told her how much her version meant to me.
    Nowadays i don't listen to any other version. I want that recording to be played at my funeral.

I wonder, Mr. B, if you have any ideas about what what makes some stars become such ... inhospitable ... persons? The stress of public expectations is of course one idea. There seems to be a larger percentage of ... inhospitable ... public persons than of private persons [[though of course we all have run into equally shite coworkers!) Have you ever assisted Marianne Faithfull in her perambulations? AND ... do you celebrate Father's Day in the UK?

Barbra's version of Somewhere is one of my very favourite performances of all time. The song has always greatly moved me, but when i heard Bab's version it took me to paradise and back. I told her this when i worked with her 2 or 3 years ago, and she seemed genuinely delighted when i told her how much her version meant to me.
    Nowadays i don't listen to any other version. I want that recording to be played at my funeral.
    I agree wholeheartedly. It is absolutely spine tingling, in my opinion. I loved the two return to Broadway albums.

I truly think everyone that surrounded JH was filled with admiration.....and fear. I don't really recall what her "issue" was, but I believe it stemmed around her hotel accommodations, and went from there. She did put on a spectacular show however; I vividly recall her killing "No Frills Love", and of course, "AIATY".

I have seen her "Unsung" and have since given her some grace; she's definitely dealt with some demons over the years. But that day, she was not the God-fearing woman she's played off herself to be.

She was truly dreadful, and treated everyone like dogshit. It is such a pity that someone with such a God given talent could be such a vile and loathsome human being. I kept my composure during the time i spent with her, but i made a vow that i would rather French kiss a family of rabid skunks than work with that woman again.
    I am sorry you experienced similar behaviour during your encounter.
    Anecdotal evidence from friends & acquaintances here in the NYC area who work production have also reported the following as HMM's [[hot, miserable messes): Van Morrison, 'Miami' Steve Van Zant, Judy Collins, William Shatner, Dionne Warwick, Stephanie Mills, Aretha Franklin, Meatloaf, Damn Shirley, Jon Bon Jovi ... probably more, but these come first to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Deepdishus2001 View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly. It is absolutely spine tingling, in my opinion. I loved the two return to Broadway albums.
    It’s the ultimate version for me as well. funnily enough i hate the B.S version of “Home”. Way to over orchestrated in my opinion and not a patch on Diana’s.

As for me, I prefer by far, Diana's rendition of "Home".

Stephanie, Diana and Whitney all give powerful performances of Home. I love all three but would not compare them to each other.

I saw Stephanie Mills in the original production and was not overly impressed; when a singer decides to make almost every word of the lyrics 10 syllables long instead of two or three, apparently to showcase her voice, the meaning of the lyrics be damned, I tend to scream "stop hamming it up; you're ruining it..." [[and then I am hauled out of the theater, but that's the way it goes). When I saw Diana Ross sing the same song, showing emotion without exaggerating every damn syllable, I said, silently, "now this is how it's meant to be." No one hauled me out of the theater, but Diana elevated me and I may have floated home. In fact, the director of the movie said he saw me flying high that afternoon and added, "Damn, I wish I had observed a talent like yours when I was shooting the movie; you could have taught Rhonda, Tracee and Chudney a thing or two about how to do it..." But it was too late for a do-over, so I wasn't included in a Diana Ross film until a few years later, when I was featured in her Central Park concert, night one. If you study that film at just the right moment, I'm the one in the green New York Jets t-shirt, spirits undampened by the rainstorm. I was almost nominated for an Emmy for that appearance, but it wasn't meant to be.

For those criticizing Stephine Mills take note that she was 15 when she did The Wiz and a brand new face in the game compared to Diana who was 34 and a seasoned performer. Both are great but will give it to Mills

Quote Originally Posted by benross View Post
    I saw Stephanie Mills in the original production and was not overly impressed; when a singer decides to make almost every word of the lyrics 10 syllables long instead of two or three, apparently to showcase her voice, the meaning of the lyrics be damned, I tend to scream "stop hamming it up; you're ruining it..." [[and then I am hauled out of the theater, but that's the way it goes). When I saw Diana Ross sing the same song, showing emotion without exaggerating every damn syllable, I said, silently, "now this is how it's meant to be."
    I wholeheartedly agree! I wish artists would just sing the song and not over enunciate! Much like Diana always likes to end every word with the letter "a"!

I hear a symphony-a
    A tender melody-a

Or

Love Child! Never meant to be-a
    Love Child! Born in poverty-a

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    It’s the ultimate version for me as well. funnily enough i hate the B.S version of “Home”. Way to over orchestrated in my opinion and not a patch on Diana’s.
    Oh I don’t like her version either. Only Stephanie or Diana for me. I’m a big Stephanie Mills fan too.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Anecdotal evidence from friends & acquaintances here in the NYC area who work production have also reported the following as HMM's [[hot, miserable messes): Van Morrison, 'Miami' Steve Van Zant, Judy Collins, William Shatner, Dionne Warwick, Stephanie Mills, Aretha Franklin, Meatloaf, Damn Shirley, Jon Bon Jovi ... probably more, but these come first to mind.
    Of all those artists you mention i can only confirm Dame Shirley as being the devil in disguise, but friends and/or colleagues can verify the credentials of Aretha [[r.i.p), Dionne, Stephanie and Van Morrison.
    I was introduced to Meat Loaf many years ago, and found him to be rather loud and in your face, but reasonably amiable. Maybe i just caught him on a good day.
    I love Judy Collins and find it quite sad she is reputed to be less than respectful.

Of all those artists you mention i can only confirm Dame Shirley as being the devil in disguise, but friends and/or colleagues can verify the credentials of Aretha [[r.i.p), Dionne, Stephanie and Van Morrison.
    I was introduced to Meat Loaf many years ago, and found him to be rather loud and in your face, but reasonably amiable. Maybe i just caught him on a good day.
    I love Judy Collins and find it quite sad she is reputed to be less than respectful.
    I'm a lifer Judy Collins fan as well and found the report I heard somewhat difficult to believe as Collins has lived, sung and recorded in NYC for decades. But sometimes one bad situation can be blown out of proportion. Hasn't stopped me from loving the lady's musical output. Have you been able to see a Judy Collins live performance? I'm lucky to have done so several times across decades. I hope you are reveling in a beautiful, late-spring English day!

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Stephanie, Diana and Whitney all give powerful performances of Home. I love all three but would not compare them to each other.
    Here, here Captain!