[REMOVE ADS]

Chris Clark at the Roostertail.....

Do we have any idea how many times Chris appeared at the Roostertail? Looking through past posts on here I can really only come up with the one date that she performed along with the Tempts. I would assume she may have performed there more than once though. Do any 60's era live performances of her exist in the public domain?
    Thanks for any input.
    Darin

The night I was hanging out with the Temptations when they recorded their Live LP, Chris Clark showed up in the dressing room with Berry Gordy [[she was living with BG at the time), and two of Berry's sons...

A couple years back someone did post CC's live performance at the Roostertail. I think it was part of a Motown Expo that was recorded from 66 or 67. Definitely worth searching for in the archives here.

So I found this on Youtube. It's listed as from Motown's sales convention in San Francisco 1967. But the MC sounds a lot like Scott Regan on other Roostertail recordings.

Cross referencing her set list with DFTMC it appears that this is in fact a live recording from the 1967 Motown convention in Detroit, at the Roostertail!! Great live recording!

Set list: Head to Toe
    Medley - Who Can I Turn To [[When Nobody Needs Me)/It's Not Unusual/Yesterday/Feelin' Good
    Got To Get You Into My Life
    [[12:35)
    Last edited by SatansBlues; 06-16-2021 at 05:57 PM.

I was going to say, that definitely sounds like Scott Regan. I guess I didn't do the most obvious and do a Youtube search! Thanks Satansblues.
    Thank you for the replies so far everyone.
    Darin

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Cross referencing her set list with DFTMC it appears that this is in fact a live recording from the 1967 Motown convention in Detroit, at the Roostertail!! Great live recording!

Set list: Head to Toe
    Medley - Who Can I Turn To [[When Nobody Needs Me)/It's Not Unusual/Yesterday/Feelin' Good
    Got To Get You Into My Life
    [[12:35)
    Yes, a great find. Thanks so much. CC does indeed sound captivating here.

I found this write up on the '67 sales convention.

MOTOWN RECORDS SALES GOING THE CONVENTION WAY . . . SEPTEMBER 9, 1967

From the MCRFB NEWS archive: 1967

Hitsville U.S.A Catalogs Record LP Release, Record Billings

DETROIT — The Motown Record Corporation’s single largest record release, 15 packages for fall, was introduced at the company’s first sales convention, held at the Hotel Ponchartrain, Friday to Monday, August 25 to 28. The Motown convention theme was “Showcase ’68.”
    Barney Ales, vice-president in charge of sales for Motown, reported a record $4 million in billings for the 15 albums were received at the convention party.
    “This party has been a success,” Ales told Billboard. “The acceptance of the product itself has been unbelievable and the album release is our best to date.”

Motown’s vice-president in charge of sales, Barney Ales with Marvin Gaye in 1967.
    Pointing to the tremendous growth rate to the record industry and the growth of rhythm and blues-oriented companies, Ales told the distributors, “We feel that here in Motown, we have indeed created new dimensions in the world of R&B, because we have worked for world-wide acceptance. While many of our competitors were busy merchandising their old sounds, Motown writers, producers and artists were busy creating a new sound and we take great pride in its having become ‘the sound of young America.’ ”

Fall Package
    Motown’s own Chris Clark circa 1968 [[Click image for larger view)The new fall release features packages by Chris Clark, the Original Spinners, the Isley Brothers, San Remo Golden Strings, Gladys Knight and the Pips, Marvin Gaye and Tammy Terrell, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, Jr. Walker and the All Stars, Martha and the Vandellas, Stevie Wonder, the Temptations, the Four Tops and Diana Ross and the Supremes [[deluxe-double album package with pictures included).
    Four new singles slated for release in the fall were “I’ll Come Running,” by the Four Tops; “From Head To Toe,” by Chris Clark; “Wondering,” by Stevie Wonder; and “Window Shopping,” by the Messengers.
    A display and browser box for the new product were also shown during the Motown all-star studded extravaganza four-day event held in downtown Detroit.
    Highlight
    The convention highlight was the special Motown Showcase show presented Sunday night, August 27, at the Roostertail Supper Club. About 500 people, including the distributors plus local dealers, radio personalities and members of the press saw the two-hour show featuring Earl Van Dyke and his Orchestra, the Spinners, Gladys Knight and the Pips, Willie Tyler and Lester, Chris Clark, and Diana Ross and the Supremes.
    Berry Gordy, Jr. 1967Berry Gordy, Jr., Motown president, spoke before the show. He credited Smokey Robinson, a company vice-president as well as artist, for urging him to establish a national company with the release of the Miracles’ “Way Over There.” He also remembered his late sister Lucy Wakefield as a creative force in the company.
    Gordy pointed out that Motown demonstrated that “people of all races not only can but do work together to achieve heights previously limited by lack of understanding.”
    Education Key
    He also stated that the racial gap can be bridged by education. “I mean complete education,” Gordy continued. “Educating the black about the black, Educating the white about the white. Educating the black about the white and educating the white about the black.”
    The entire convention proceeded smoothly. On Friday night, Hal B. Cook, publisher of Billboard, gave the opening speech of the meetings. END
    ___[[Information and news source: Billboard; September 9, 1967)

Motown’s Chris Clark 1967 album ‘Soul Sounds.

Posted onApril 19, 2013AuthorJim FelicianoCategoriesFlashbacks, MCRFB [[Billboard) News, MotownLeave a Reply

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    I was going to say, that definitely sounds like Scott Regan. I guess I didn't do the most obvious and do a Youtube search! Thanks Satansblues.
    Thank you for the replies so far everyone.
    Darin
    No problem. I love little finds like this. I also love CC's line about meeting up with Barney Ales. I don't think that line would make it in her act today.

I just let the cat out of the bag in my post on my acquisition of effects belonging to Maurice King that I have discovered a personal tape of his that is likely a Roostertail performance by Chris that is different from the one above. Here is the set list:

Reach Out [[I'll Be There)
    Call Me
    Who Can I Turn To?
    It's Not Unusual
    Yesterday
    Feelin' Good

Her performance is really great at this show, super energy!
    Darin

I just let the cat out of the bag in my post on my acquisition of effects belonging to Maurice King that I have discovered a personal tape of his that is likely a Roostertail performance by Chris that is different from the one above. Here is the set list:

Call Me
    Who Can I Turn To?
    It's Not Unusual
    Yesterday
    Feelin' Good

Darin
    Any chance you could post that tape? I would LOVE to hear it.

I would love to share it at some point, but at the moment I'm not certain how to go about it. I listened to all of these through headphones directly plugged into the reel to reel player. I would have to get a system set up of some sort to be able to record the music from the reel to a digital file and go from there. Hopefully I can figure something out!
    Last edited by DWSheffer; 06-17-2021 at 03:18 PM.

I would love to share it at some point, but at the moment I'm not certain how to go about it. I listened to all of these through headphones directly plugged into the reel to reel player. I would have to get a system set up of some sort to be able to record the music from the reel to a digital file and go from there. Hopefully I can figure something out!
    That would be awesome! Keep us posted!

Call Me
    Who Can I Turn To?
    It's Not Unusual
    Yesterday
    Feelin' Good

Darin
    I have an acetate of this performance at it is indeed from the Roostertail - my acetate however begins with Who Can I Turn To and does not include the first two songs

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    I have an acetate of this performance at it is indeed from the Roostertail - my acetate however begins with Who Can I Turn To and does not include the first two songs
    Are there other songs in her performance or is the tape that you have just minus the first two songs? And what other acetates might you have in your collection? And live recordings of Tammi T or Brenda H?

Thanks Paul, it's nice to know I have possibly stumbled upon a unique performance. On my reel "Reach Out" is definitely the first song she performs after her intro.