Do any of our longtime Detroit area forum members have any recollection of a Stokey's Bungalow and Lounge located at 2434 Elmwood and E. Vernor? Last week I purchased a small photo archive from a gentleman in Detroit that included professionally taken photos of The Supremes performing on stage in 1963, one with Stokey Dye who I assume was the owner of the lounge. The Supremes photos were all signed by Mary and Flo, and inscribed to Stokey. Evidently Diana wasn't available to sign at the time, unfortunately! Although not revealed to me by the seller, I assume all of the photos belonged to Stokey as he's in most of them.

Some of the photos had information on the back which has given me about all the information I am able to provide above, which isn't much. I did some research and almost nothing comes up, so I'm hoping a forum member might recall this place.

When I googled Stokey Dye Detroit, about the only decent lead that came up is his photo in a book on Detroit, in which he appears with Billy Eckstine and Billie Holiday no less! The book is "Detroit's Paradise Valley" and he appears on page 70. From what I can gather though, he was a mover and a shaker back in the day!

Thanks for any help/information as I really didn't have any other place to pose this question.
Darin

https://books.google.com/books?id=sh...chigan&f=false