[REMOVE ADS]

Love [[makes me do foolish things)

Another uplifting songs has any other artist had so many incredible songs

I still prefer Martha & The Vandellas version of this song.

Martha's is the ultimate but I do think the DRATS version is really very nice and had Martha NOT done it, it would have been an excellent recording. probably not a single release but makes a great album track

I just listened to the Martha version after enjoying her singing this song Diana Ross comes up on top there’s a beauty in Diana Ross’s voice that cannot be matched The forcefulness and the soulfulness is heaven

Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post
    I just listened to the Martha version after enjoying her singing this song Diana Ross comes up on top there’s a beauty in Diana Ross’s voice that cannot be matched The forcefulness and the soulfulness is heaven
    Has Diana Ross ever recorded a version of any song at any time over the past 60 years that you have found to be inferior to a recording by any other artist dead or alive?

Not really because she has that voice from the heavens one of the only songs I disliked was I’m me

Not really because she has that voice from the heavens one of the only songs I disliked was I’m me
    That is indeed a truly awful song, but to the best of my knowledge we have not had any other versions of that crime to humanity. I cannot even comprehend why anyone would wish to cover that song. One listen to Ms Ross's version should be enough to last a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    That is indeed a truly awful song, but to the best of my knowledge we have not had any other versions of that crime to humanity. I cannot even comprehend why anyone would wish to cover that song. One listen to Ms Ross's version should be enough to last a lifetime.
    NOT on my watch!!!!!! 😂🤣😅😅🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂😂😂. I love I Am Me. That was a biggie for me when I had turned 18 😀

Another not so great one was girls

Quote Originally Posted by JLoveLamar View Post
    NOT on my watch!!!!!! 藍藍藍藍藍. I love I Am Me. That was a biggie for me when I had turned 18 
    Sorry if i have upset you Lamar but i have always hated I am me. If it is any consolation to you Ms Ross herself quite likes the song and insisted it be included on the Voice of love compilation album much to my horror!

Another not so great one was girls
    Agree with you on this one too. Spoiled an otherwise decent album.

I prefer Martha and the Vandellas version. But Diana Ross and the Supremes did do a nice version.

Has Diana Ross ever recorded a version of any song at any time over the past 60 years that you have found to be inferior to a recording by any other artist dead or alive?
    Thank you for saying what everyone else is thinking, LOL.

Although I prefer Martha's version I think Diana does a great job and her vocals suit the song. Never been a huge fan of the song, no matter who sang it. The problem for me is the backing track on the Supremes' version. It just feels heavy to the ears compared to Martha and the Vandellas' version. Maybe we'll get another version or mix in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by JLoveLamar View Post
    NOT on my watch!!!!!! ����������������������������. I love I Am Me. That was a biggie for me when I had turned 18 ��
    lolol i like it too!! i agree it's not her penultimate moment on vinyl but i've never understood the vast hatred of it lol. Same with Girls

I especially enjoy needling Bluebrock on these two!!! lolol I'm sure he's long since just written off to bizarre American taste lol

Sorry if i have upset you Lamar but i have always hated I am me. If it is any consolation to you Ms Ross herself quite likes the song and insisted it be included on the Voice of love compilation album much to my horror!
    oh i would LOVE to have been a fly on the wall at the meeting where she stated this and watch you attempt to hold your composure lol

btw i'm sitting here at my desk humming along in my head to I Am Me lol

"i'm not carbon copy of no one else. right or wrong..."

lol

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    btw i'm sitting here at my desk humming along in my head to I Am Me lol

"i'm not carbon copy of no one else. right or wrong..."

lol
    I like the lyrics, it’s Diana’s voice that i find grating on this one. She never seems to alter pitch making her voice sound rather manufactured. I also find her backing vocals quite harsh.
    A simpler, more laid back approach as in “It’s My House” might have worked wonders.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 06-17-2021 at 01:43 PM.

oh i would LOVE to have been a fly on the wall at the meeting where she stated this and watch you attempt to hold your composure lol
    It was a case of obeying "she who must be obeyed"! No one else wanted that damn song to be included, but she said it was her album and if we wanted her to promote it she insisted upon it's inclusion.
    To rub salt in my already deep wound she later told she wouldn't have minded had we left it off the album! I could have screamed, and almost did!
    I can laugh about it now, but it was much less amusing back in the day.
    I did get very frustrated when i didn't get my way, but it was never ever dull.
    Last edited by Bluebrock; 06-18-2021 at 03:14 AM.

It was a case of obeying "she who must be obeyd"! No one else wanted that damn song to be included, but she said it was her album and if we wanted her to promote it she insisted upon it's inclusion.
    To rub salt in my already deep wound she later told she wouldn't have minded had we left it off the album! I could have screamed, and almost did!
    I can laugh about it now, but it was much less amusing back in the day.
    I did get very frustrated when i didn't get my way, but it was never ever dull.
    hahaha oh that's great that she later told you she was bluffing!

how about the flip side? where there songs that you all really wanted and she was like "meh"

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I like the lyrics, it’s Diana’s voice that i find grating on this one. She never seems to alter pitch making her voice sound rather manufactured. I also find her backing vocals quite harsh.
    A simpler, more laid back approach as in “It’s My House” might have worked wonders.
    i hear you on that one. it's a very mechanical vocal performance but i don't know that that isn't too bad here. she's also this way on Lovin Livin Givin. and it sort of works. i don't know if that was really an artistic decision - might be giving her too much credit and she really was just being lazy.

I definitely agree with overall fan opinion that her production of her own vocals typically was lacking. and on SE she really got carried away with the echo effects, as if that was going to hide the fact that she really wasn't giving her all

I see SE as her saying "hey - i've been under the thumb of a manager and company for decades and always been told what to sing and how to sing it. i was to experiment and try a little of everything on this lp"

so the connective thread is interpreting each song in a different style and genre. i get it - that's not a very strong unifying concept. but you have 50s doo wop, disco, heavy metal, reggae, soap opera soul, pop, power ballad, novelty.

i hear you on that one. it's a very mechanical vocal performance but i don't know that that isn't too bad here. she's also this way on Lovin Livin Givin. and it sort of works. i don't know if that was really an artistic decision - might be giving her too much credit and she really was just being lazy.

I definitely agree with overall fan opinion that her production of her own vocals typically was lacking. and on SE she really got carried away with the echo effects, as if that was going to hide the fact that she really wasn't giving her all

I see SE as her saying "hey - i've been under the thumb of a manager and company for decades and always been told what to sing and how to sing it. i was to experiment and try a little of everything on this lp"

so the connective thread is interpreting each song in a different style and genre. i get it - that's not a very strong unifying concept. but you have 50s doo wop, disco, heavy metal, reggae, soap opera soul, pop, power ballad, novelty.
    I never thought of Silk electric that way--a concept album exploring a variety of vocal approaches. Not one of my favorite albums by her, but now will have to give it a re-listen with this in mind.

As for Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things, it's Martha all the way. The Supremes' version is more of another album filler cut they recorded. It's alright. Martha and the Vandellas' version has passion and deep soul.

hahaha oh that's great that she later told you she was bluffing!

how about the flip side? where there songs that you all really wanted and she was like "meh"
    I wanted It's hard for me to say or cross my heart. I wanted something from her rca years that she sung with passion and committment rather than half hearted wishy washy froth.

And as the old saying goes too many cooks spoil the broth!

And as the old saying goes too many cooks spoil the broth!
    oh Blue - you're such a Debbie Downer lol