[REMOVE ADS]

Robert Gordy & The Sensational Skylarks of Detroit

Based on Roberts son Robert Jr's recent passing I thought it would be a nice memory to share some of his fathers perhaps unknown songs. Whilst arguably being Motown related, Robert not only Berry's brother but he was also a member of the Sensational Skylarks of Detroit. As far as I know the group had one 45 on the Message label [[Harvey Fuqua's label) and three on Don Robey's Gospel label Song Bird.

Of the three Song Bird 45's Robert wrote both sides of the 45 Song Bird 1039 "Pure Relgion” & "Look To Jesus” from 1965 . In addition he part wrote "God Always Answers Prayer" jointly with "Calvin Fair" on Song Bird 1023 also from 1965. The other Song Bird 45 1086 being from 1967, which I think Robert was more ensconced at Motown at that time.

All of the songs are owned by Lion Publishing, other than "God Always Answers Prayer" amazingly owned by Universal.

The "Hayes & Laughton" Discography does not have detailed any of the members of the group, however with Robert Gordy, Bob Gandy the lead singer and two others Walter Howard and Nate Johnson I think we have them all, but no doubt over time there will be group member changes.

The Links to "Pure Relgion & Look To Jesus" are attached below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji2zZqEqJaI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGap9q10E0g

Attachment 19132
    Attachment 19133
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 06-16-2021 at 02:17 AM.

Doesn't the other post say it was Robert Gordy, Jr...?

It was Roberts son, Robert Jr [[Berry's nephew)who passed away from natural causes. Robert Sr is still alive at the age of 90...

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    It was Roberts son, Robert Jr [[Berry's nephew)who passed away from natural causes. Robert Sr is still alive at the age of 90...
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  21.1 KB
    Glad to hear that Robert is still alive. I remember him being a very genial man. Sorry to hear about the passing of his son, however.

I like The Skylarks singing very much. Bob Gandy was quite an emotional, and very talented singer. I have several of the Song Bird records, but that Message recor was tough to find. I have only one record on that label.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    This is very sad for Robert Sr.

Robert Junior was a very positive pro Motown BLM anti Trump Facebook presence

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    Doesn't the other post say it was Robert Gordy, Jr...?
    Thanks for that, I just picked it up from the forum, so glad Robert Sr is Ok.