[REMOVE ADS]

Motown Bio Pics & Mini Series

I was in school when the Jacksons: American dream miniseries came out and i remember it being a big hit

Same for the Temptations series a few years later

and after that nothing

In the meantime there was the critically acclaimed and Oscar winning Ray, critically acclaimed and Oscar winning [[and thin Motown illusion) Dreamgirls, a Soul Train series, TWO major Aretha projects, the NatGeo Genius miniseries and upcoming Jennifer Hudson movie

Where are the Motown projects?

Other than the Marvin Gaye movie that can't seem to get off the ground, the Jesse Martin one ran out of money before it was finished I haven;t hears of any rumors of a Motown movie

To be fair there are the theater projects. A couple Marvin plays [[enjoyed them both) Motown the Musical and Temptations play

But where are the Oscar bait big screen adaptions?

Where are the 8-10 episode miniseries?

Same scenario for the long departed Motown Cafe's; in New York City, Las Vegas, and Orlando? Why haven't they survived even in a reduced capacity forum? A doggone
    shame in my opinion.

The Temptations mini series is one of my favorite things in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimal Saint View Post
    ...To be fair there are the theater projects. A couple Marvin plays [[enjoyed them both) Motown the Musical and Temptations play..
    What were the Marvin Gaye plays that you saw? Were they plays or musicals? I know there was a musical in Chicago that never made it to Broadway. I think it was called The Marvin Gaye Musical or maybe Pride & Joy. I remember reading the good reviews on that and hoped it would make it to NYC.

I did see a touring show at the Beacon Theatre in NYC which was only there for three days before going to another city. The play was written by Marvin's sister. The book of the play was very good, and the show would have been a lot better had it just been a play. It was a musical that could not use Marvin's music and so the music that they did use just got in the way of the story. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it.

There is a new musical about Michael Jackson coming to Broadway this winter, MJ, The Musical.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    What were the Marvin Gaye plays that you saw? Were they plays or musicals? I know there was a musical in Chicago that never made it to Broadway. I think it was called The Marvin Gaye Musical or maybe Pride & Joy. I remember reading the good reviews on that and hoped it would make it to NYC.

I did see a touring show at the Beacon Theatre in NYC which was only there for three days before going to another city. The play was written by Marvin's sister. The book of the play was very good, and the show would have been a lot better had it just been a play. It was a musical that could not use Marvin's music and so the music that they did use just got in the way of the story. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it.

There is a new musical about Michael Jackson coming to Broadway this winter, MJ, The Musical.
    saw pride & joy which was very well done and we’ll cast [[especially 60s Marvin) the other was years ago it was called something like silky soul singer
    I saw it at Lincoln theater in Washington DC

The temps series is a cult classic,but i'd love to see it done for the big screen with spike lee directing!