[REMOVE ADS]

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    I wish the fans would have loved the "I Love You" album more because 15 years is a long wait for a new album from Diana Ross.Vocally, Diana Ross is superb on the "I Love You" album. Case in point, "Always and Forever".
    With the exception of two of the songs, i find Diana’s vocals on the “I Love You” album to be tired and totally uninspired.. Proof of this is are her far superior live versions of some of the songs. She also sounds so much better on the new single, even though fifteen years later.

I love the song too. Probably her liveliest since Take Me Higher!

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post

I wish the fans would have loved the "I Love You" album more because 15 years is a long wait for a new album from Diana Ross.Vocally, Diana Ross is superb on the "I Love You" album. Case in point, "Always and Forever". "I just want to say" that I am thankful for the upcoming album by Diana Ross.

Imagine a future album of the songs of Dinah Washington. From the "Blue" album,
    "What a Difference a Day Makes" by Diana Ross is always on my playlist. Oh my...
    I love the I Love You album. It's in my car at the moment. Was Diana not happy with the response of the album? While 15 years is a long while to release an album, Miss Ross gave us so much. An album a year is a lot of material. Not to mention the expanded editions that came out [[not really counting the remixes, but expansions like Diana Ross [[1970) and Diana with a whole host of songs created during that era.)

Certainly I Love You wouldn't feature as one of my favourite Diana albums.

There are a couple of tracks I'd like to forget about but overall I don't think it's that bad.

I adore What About Love and I Will and I think she makes a good fist of Take My Breath Away - we didn't get that on the UK album - instead they gave us Crazy Little Thing Called Love - no comment!

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Certainly I Love You wouldn't feature as one of my favourite Diana albums.

There are a couple of tracks I'd like to forget about but overall I don't think it's that bad.

I adore What About Love and I Will and I think she makes a good fist of Take My Breath Away - we didn't get that on the UK album - instead they gave us Crazy Little Thing Called Love - no comment!
    Its interesting how musical tastes can vary so completely regarding one song.
    I think “Take My Breath Away” quite awful and see clearly why it was left off most versions of the album. She performs it as if reading from a song sheet for the first time. It sounds totally devoid of any emotion whatsoever. The least said about “Crazy Little Thing” the better.
    I do agree on “What About Love”. A sensitive and tender performance from Diana. She also sounds good on “I Love You” and “Always And Forever”.

Personally, while I think I Love You is not bad, I wouldn’t want another covers album, of any kind. To me, its been done, was entirely pleasant, but that should be it. And, if "Thank You" is anything to go by, Diana doesn’t need to be resorting to covers to keep releasing good music.
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 06-29-2021 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Its interesting how musical tastes can vary so completely regarding one song.
    I think “Take My Breath Away” quite awful and see clearly why it was left off most versions of the album. She performs it as if reading from a song sheet for the first time. It sounds totally devoid of any emotion whatsoever. The least said about “Crazy Little Thing” the better.
    I do agree on “What About Love”. A sensitive and tender performance from Diana. She also sounds good on “I Love You” and “Always And Forever”.
    I don't mind I Love You - except for the title song and Take My Breath Away.

How could anyone not like and love "Lovely Day" - she does a better job than Bill Withers did.

Both that album and Aretha's last album have a bit of that karaoke feel - I wonder if that had to do with saving money?

I cannot Listen to this album. I know that I have never played it all the way through nonstop. I don’t even think I ever played any of the cuts all the way through when I first got it. And it’s the biggest disappointment I’ve had from her since funny girl, which I was really looking forward to until I heard it. I have learned to like what about love, and I do like the look of love live, at least I did for the first few years she was doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I cannot Listen to this album. I know that I have never played it all the way through nonstop. I don’t even think I ever played any of the cuts all the way through when I first got it. And it’s the biggest disappointment I’ve had from her since funny girl, which I was really looking forward to until I heard it. I have learned to like what about love, and I do like the look of love live, at least I did for the first few years she was doing it.
    I thought it was a dire effort. Her voice was okay, but the production values were of a karaoke standard.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post

How could anyone not like and love "Lovely Day" - she does a better job than Bill Withers did.

Both that album and Aretha's last album have a bit of that karaoke feel - I wonder if that had to do with saving money?
    It was done very much on a budget. She knew this right from the start, but the offers were not exactly rolling in for her so she accepted it knowing full well it would likely be less than inspired. She was so unhappy with the finished product that she turned down several more lucrative offers in the following years fearing similar uninspired results. Even Clive Davis could not persuade her to record again.

In your dreams lol. Bill has this one for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    It was done very much on a budget. She knew this right from the start, but the offers were not exactly rolling in for her so she accepted it knowing full well it would likely be less than inspired. She was so unhappy with the finished product that she turned down several more lucrative offers in the following years fearing similar uninspired results. Even Clive Davis could not persuade her to record again.
    Given what Clive produced on Aretha for her last album, Sing the Diva Classics, that might have been a good thing.

I Love You is alright. Some interesting song choices. Remember, What About Love. To Be Loved, Always and Forever stand out for me. But I'm glad she has a new album of original songs coming out and not covers, or all duets, or remakes, like many heritage/legacy artists find themselves recording.

Bill Withers owns that song Lock, Stock and Barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Given what Clive produced on Aretha for her last album, Sing the Diva Classics, that might have been a good thing.

I Love You is alright. Some interesting song choices. Remember, What About Love. To Be Loved, Always and Forever stand out for me. But I'm glad she has a new album of original songs coming out and not covers, or all duets, or remakes, like many heritage/legacy artists find themselves recording.
    She had so many offers to do covers albums, but thankfully she spurned them all. I thought she was being too picky or too demanding, but i am glad she stuck to her guns.
    Not many heritage artists would be so brave. Not many heritage artists are given the opportunity.

Both that album and Aretha's last album have a bit of that karaoke feel
    Ohhhh wee! I definitely would not say it is better, but I do love her version. I love the whole I Love You album except the album opener. I always envision Miss Ross is singing "I Love You" to me. How could you all not love The Look Of Love? Seeing her perform that live on t.v had me obsessed with the song. My two favorites from the album are I Want You [[y'all just do not know how this song moves my spirit. Especially the opening with Miss Ross vocalizing. Just speaks wayyyy deep to me. I remember the first time I popped this cd in the cd player and played it all the way through.), and More Today Than Yesterday. Doesn't that make you wanna get up and just love on the world? I also pretend Miss Ross is singing this to me and she is saying she loves me more than everyone.

About the Karoke feel, I actually like that. Sometimes I tire of the bigness of the clear cut, supremely perfect studio sound where the artist's voice is sometimes overpowered by everything else in the studio. I kind of like the "we don't have very much money, let's do it in 1 take, back of the juke joint, hot gritty grits" sound where it's just the artist and they did not do much cleaning up of the vocals. It kinda feels like a back to our roots sound, if that makes any sense.

I love the I love you album she does a great job on it And I don’t know where this Karaoke thing came from her elevator music it sounds nothing like that so I’m just like to Twitter Twatt taught that is the nature of the beast in all reality this album is a lot better than a lot of the modern day Dave is putting out music at least she can sing

Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post
    I love the I love you album she does a great job on it And I don’t know where this Karaoke thing came from her elevator music it sounds nothing like that so I’m just like to Twitter Twatt taught that is the nature of the beast in all reality this album is a lot better than a lot of the modern day Dave is putting out music at least she can sing
    Who's Dave??. Do you really think the karaoke thing came from her elevator music?. It’s certainly food for thought.

I am not sure i understand your point, and i'm not sure that i want to. If you would care to explain what you are trying to say i may be able to offer a more constructive response.

Please could you put a bit of punctuation into this, so that I can understand what you're trying to say?

Many thanks.

Can someone translate it?? lol

I like the songs Diana chose for I Love You, the photo/video shoots she did to promote it and the overall concept, but the production is really bland and uninspired.

Who on here thinks this album is going to be incredible our Boss Lady needs to do more outings to promote this album like an appearance at the Central Park Concert , or go on the Andy Cohen show don’t be shy our dear just do it for the sake of love

Who on here thinks this album is going to be incredible our Boss Lady needs to do more outings to promote this album like an appearance at the Central Park Concert , or go on the Andy Cohen show don’t be shy our dear just do it for the sake of love
    She will be doing promotion for the album a little nearer the time of release.

“Thank You” is garnering plenty of airplay here in the UK. I’m actually rather pleased Diana has chosen to record inspirational songs. It’s what the world needs right now.
    Chomping at the bit for its release.

After repeated listenings to this song, I have enjoyed it more. "Thank You" will be a great song to hear Diana Ross sing in concert. I especially look forward to singing along with the audience to the "Thank You" lyrics. "I just gotta say" has great commercial appeal. Looking forward to this new album. The extended versions of this song reveal its sweet complexity. Fine varied vocals by Ms. Ross. Five stars *****

Have official remixes been commissioned? All those remixes appear to be unofficial/fan remixes. Considering the success Diana has had with remixes in the past few years, I hope that remixes of Thank You are forthcoming. It would be great to pair the new song remixes with continuing remixes of the catalog. Theme From Mahogany, to my knowledge, has never officially been remixed.

I'm hoping to see this hit big with the Fall release , am liking the new mixes of Thank You

Sorry to push this back up again but does anyone know if there are official remixes coming on Thank You?

I heard one remix but honestly didn't care for it.

I see a posting showing Thank You is Number One on the BBC Radio 2 Airplay Chart - not sure what this chart means overall but.............

I see a posting showing Thank You is Number One on the BBC Radio 2 Airplay Chart - not sure what this chart means overall but.............
    airplay is everything. The song then slowly becomes part of everyone’s life and memory.

Does that radio station have any influence?

Honestly it is really starting to grow on me. It could be a good change for Diana's intro into her concerts but I know she will not change I'm Coming Out. Maybe right after ICO. She could also make it the last song instead of Ain't no Mountain High or I Will Survive. It has a feel good appeal to it.

I thought it was a dire effort. Her voice was okay, but the production values were of a karaoke standard.

agreed. I’m glad she knew it stunk, but then why release it? Although it did get some shockingly good reviews, so what do I know? I wish she would’ve taken up with a vocal coach for six months or a year before she recorded it. She went on tour to plug it completely unprepared vocally, it was as if she hadn’t sung in several years. She got better as it went on.

Does that radio station have any influence?
    It's the most listened to radio station in the UK. The kids don't tune in but it usually averages 8-9 million listeners during a typical day.

It's the most listened to radio station in the UK. The kids don't tune in but it usually averages 8-9 million listeners during a typical day.
    I’m hearing it all the time on the radio which is wonderful. It’s upbeat sound matches the sunny weather at the mo. Bodes well for the new album.
    Just like old times lol...
    Last edited by Ollie9; 07-16-2021 at 04:30 AM.

I’m hearing it all the time on the radio which is wonderful. It’s upbeat sound matches the sunny weather at the mo. Bodes well for the new album.
    Just like old times lol...
    Glad you are enjoying it Ollie.

Glad you are enjoying it Ollie.
    I certainly am. I see Blondie has a new album out....
    76 appears to be the new 40.

I certainly am. I see Blondie has a new album out....
    76 appears to be the new 40.
    Yes i was reading about Blondie yesterday. I was madly in love with Debbie Harry back in the day.
    Happy memories of happier times.

Yes i was reading about Blondie yesterday. I was madly in love with Debbie Harry back in the day.
    Happy memories of happier times.
    It´s actually not a new album, it´s a live recording. But they have a new studio album on the horizon, which I am really looking forward to. Loved their last one and saw them live [[for the first time) when they were touring it.

Quote Originally Posted by djessie View Post
    It´s actually not a new album, it´s a live recording. But they have a new studio album on the horizon, which I am really looking forward to. Loved their last one and saw them live [[for the first time) when they were touring it.
    I haven't listened to their last couple of albums. The last one i heard was from maybe 10 years ago. I think it had a yellow or mustard cover.
    I have never seen them live for whatever reason, but i did follow them as a teenager. I had posters of Debbie on my bedroom walls. I vowed to marry her, but for whatever reason i have yet to get her to the altar. I guess i have to meet her before that can happen! A boy can dream.

I had posters of Debbie on my bedroom walls.
    Ha-ha. Me too - along with Kate Bush.

Debbie's voice is not what it was but she still brings a lot of energy to their live shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    Ha-ha. Me too - along with Kate Bush.

Debbie's voice is not what it was but she still brings a lot of energy to their live shows.
    Kate Bush was a stunning beauty for sure.
    Debbie's voice is most certainly not what it was, but i am sure she can still cut it live. She is so charismatic.

not sure , but i am hearing THANK YOU is #1 in UK, very exciting but of course here in the states , nothing much.
    i think part of the issue might be the album is available to order but not the single unless you order just the song from the album.
    imo the single should be listed seperately to generate sales and interest.
    hope it does well for her

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    not sure , but i am hearing THANK YOU is #1 in UK, very exciting but of course here in the states , nothing much.
    i think part of the issue might be the album is available to order but not the single unless you order just the song from the album.
    imo the single should be listed seperately to generate sales and interest.
    hope it does well for her
    I think she’s set up a website where you can buy the single and the album

I think she’s set up a website where you can buy the single and the album
    Yes she has.

Bluebrock

What do you think is the latest stage at which Diana's UK concerts might be cancelled.

Any slight chance that she might have come in person to our shores to promote the album is surely gone now.

Diana's first priority is to herself and her family and even at this stage I would seriously worry whether she would be wise to fulfill the dates.

Canada is now the most vaccinated country in the world; it appears the current thinking is that there will be a 4th wave here too but this will become the "pandemic of the unvaccinated".

So, assuming Diana is totally vaccinated, should she not be safe?

Canada is now the most vaccinated country in the world; it appears the current thinking is that there will be a 4th wave here too but this will become the "pandemic of the unvaccinated".

So, assuming Diana is totally vaccinated, should she not be safe?
    Just because one is vaccinated, it does not mean that you are immune from getting COVID. It just means the chances are reduced, and if you do get it, the likelihood that it will be a severe case will be minimal. But you can still get it, and still transmit to others, who may not be vaccinated, and for those not vaccinated, the odds are greater that COVID could have a highly adverse impact on them.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Bluebrock

What do you think is the latest stage at which Diana's UK concerts might be cancelled.

Any slight chance that she might have come in person to our shores to promote the album is surely gone now.

Diana's first priority is to herself and her family and even at this stage I would seriously worry whether she would be wise to fulfill the dates.
    Officially i am told the tour is still planned. That is the promoters stance on the subject.
    Unofficially i am told it has a 50/50 chance of taking place. She wants to carry out a few domestic dates before fully committing.
    She will not be coming over to promote the album, but will do a few satellite interviews. That is as much as i know at the moment.