[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Frustration

Frustration

Let me start by saying that I truly appreciate all the work that Harry, George, Andy and all the engineers and others that have worked to give us and continue to try and give us the music of Diana and all the iterations of the Supremes.

There have just been announcements of the second volume of Barbra Streisand’s Release Me vault project and a new super deluxe edition of Tina Turner’s Foreign Affair album. The Donna Summer estate is continuing to get product out. The Encore box set including all of Donna’s album releases and a ton of mixes, non-album singles, one-offs, etc. is amazing. I know the collection does not include all her Sony work but it contains all her best work.

I know that, in general, it is difficult for women period to get this kind of archival/vault treatment. It is all the more amazing that we have gotten what we have so far but it is also frustrating that we have come this far and for some reason Universal won’t let the expanded editions come to their conclusion for Diana and the entire Supremes discography through the end. I wish that Universal would sell Motown to another major or that a group of music lovers could at least buy the historic catalogue back.

That being said, so looking forward to the new Diana album and the Royal Philharmonic collection and hopefully sooner rather than later the expanded editions of the return to Motown albums.

What is the new. Royal Philharmonic collection never heard of this there is absolutely no reason for universal not to release this music did George not say they are just opening there company this month Because of Covid

The last release ,Sing HDH was three years ago.
    We've been on hold ever since, even the cd releases. Seriously .it is getting old and so am I.
    I may be retired by the time universal releases something

George and Andy have said recently that something is in the works..

I'm excited about Release Me 2! I hope something is brewing soon for Miss Ross. I'd rather they release her television specials, though. Between Barbra Streisand and Diana Ross, we have so much music. Babs has released her TV specials to dvd. Even the ones her fans hate. I hope Miss Ross releases hers and is heavily involved in the restoring and commentary.

As much as I agree with the fact that the DRATS releases have slowed down and that we are overdue for some of the much talked about expanded editions...to be fair, Barbra, Donna and Tina have not had nearly as many quality reissues in recent years of their back catalogue. Barbra's older albums all remain in print and have continued to be issued as plain-straight-to-CD type of releases. The first volume of Release Me was in 2012. It took almost 10 years for the second volume to be released. There have been a handful of Donna Summer reissues in recent years, mostly all thanks to her estate, who own the rights to her Geffen output from the 80's and onward. They'll continue to milk those albums to death, as we've already seen. None of her unreleased material has been officially released thus far. Her Casablanca albums have yet to be properly remastered and expanded, outside of that new 1,000 copy limited edition box set, which came with a large book with no photos [[except for miniscule ones of the albums themselves)...and was plagued with manufacturing defects [[duplicate CDs and skipping CDs), as well as loud, brickwalled, distorted "remastering". Tina fans have had very little reissues of her solo career material up until now. Other than the Foreign Affair box set coming out, we had a 2 CD skimpy expanded edition of Private Dancer released several years ago, all containing content previously released on other compilations.

I say all of this to say that the releases from these other divas [[who also happen to be favourites of mine) have unfortunately not been up to par to the supreme standard set by Andy, George and co. We've been lucky to have received what we've had thus far. If anything, what I stated above demonstrates the difficult struggle of delivering fans quality projects when the higher ups at the big record companies typically want to follow the money by putting out lazy, subpar quality stuff. Quality and licensing is expensive, especially in an age when CD sales are on the decline and general interest is somewhat waning. I really do hope that we will get more. I'm hopeful, since I know our guys are still passionate about trying to push these projects out the door and are working on putting out the stuff that they love and we love. However, we can only hope. It's frustrating since you'd think we'd get a sense of the CD reissue flood gates opening after Mary passed. So far, it sounds like crickets. Maybe things will pick up soon??

Hopefully Diana's new studio album is not too far off?
    Last edited by carlo; 06-13-2021 at 06:28 PM.

I expressed my thanks to Harry, Andy and George in the first line of my post and made it clear my frustration is with Universal, not them and their magnificent work.

Also aware of the gap in between the release of Barbra’s Release Me volumes and would chalk that up more to her perfectionism than anything else. Brickwalling is an issue with many CD reissue projects. As for Donna, again aware of everything and same for Tina.

I was just noticing their upcoming release and hoping that we would finally be getting something in light of the Supremes 60th anniversary, Mary’s unfortunate passing, etc.

Also just reiterating the general frustration of female artists getting archival releases. Still waiting to get Cher’s original Warner Brothers stint on CD, especially the Jimmy Webb produced Stars, further expanded editions of Stevie Nick’s catalogue and such. Very thankful for David Nathan’s Soul Music label for getting quality anthology collections on Teena Marie, Regina Belle, Phyllis Hyman, Melba Moore, Angela Bofill, Gladys Knight, Patti Labell/Labelle and the reissue of Thelma Houston’s Motown albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Deepdishus2001 View Post
    I expressed my thanks to Harry, Andy and George in the first line of my post and made it clear my frustration is with Universal, not them and their magnificent work.

Also aware of the gap in between the release of Barbra’s Release Me volumes and would chalk that up more to her perfectionism than anything else. Brickwalling is an issue with many CD reissue projects. As for Donna, again aware of everything and same for Tina.

I was just noticing their upcoming release and hoping that we would finally be getting something in light of the Supremes 60th anniversary, Mary’s unfortunate passing, etc.

Also just reiterating the general frustration of female artists getting archival releases. Still waiting to get Cher’s original Warner Brothers stint on CD, especially the Jimmy Webb produced Stars, further expanded editions of Stevie Nick’s catalogue and such. Very thankful for David Nathan’s Soul Music label for getting quality anthology collections on Teena Marie, Regina Belle, Phyllis Hyman, Melba Moore, Angela Bofill, Gladys Knight, Patti Labell/Labelle and the reissue of Thelma Houston’s Motown albums.
    I'm with you, DeepDish - but a bit more fatalistic. At this point I figure we get what we get officially and have to resort to less-desired other channels until official releases appear. I'm on board for 90% of the performers you mention but my hopes are dwindling and when an un-official release appears I reluctantly jump on it. Be well!

Quote Originally Posted by Deepdishus2001 View Post

Ok great, sounds like we are both on the same page then As for Cher, it sounds like she owns the rights to Stars and those other LP's and she sadly has no interest in reissuing them at the moment, per her exchanges with a fan on Twitter. I share in your frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    The last release ,Sing HDH was three years ago.
    We've been on hold ever since, even the cd releases. Seriously .it is getting old and so am I.
    I may be retired by the time universal releases something
    I think "Funny Girl" came out digital and physical last year?

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    George and Andy have said recently that something is in the works..
    I'd bet that no one wants to release product more than these two. They truly are our advocates behind the scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I'm with you, DeepDish - but a bit more fatalistic. At this point I figure we get what we get officially and have to resort to less-desired other channels until official releases appear. I'm on board for 90% of the performers you mention but my hopes are dwindling and when an un-official release appears I reluctantly jump on it. Be well!
    I’m trying not to be fatalistic. Lol I used to purchase unofficial releases from a CD store in NYC that has long gone out of business. What I purchased though was mostly remixes of DR and every other female artist that wasn’t officially released or only released digitally. It was a fantastic independent store. Rapidly vanishing from the city.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Ok great, sounds like we are both on the same page then As for Cher, it sounds like she owns the rights to Stars and those other LP's and she sadly has no interest in reissuing them at the moment, per her exchanges with a fan on Twitter. I share in your frustration.
    Yes, I read that as well. Such a shame, especially for Stars. It is the holy grail for Cher fans like Buckingham Nicks is for Stevie Nicks fans. Lol

I kick myself for not purchasing the expanded bootleg sets the guy from Germany was selling a couple of years back..I always support the legitimate releases and can understand universal shutting down the black market..but still..those bootlegs looked fantastic !