[REMOVE ADS]

New mini-doc on Dyke & The Blazers

A newly-published mini-documentary from Craft Recordings tells the potted history of funk pioneers Dyke & the Blazers. The clip sets up the June 25 release, digitally and on vinyl, of the new compilations celebrating the R&B combo, Down on Funky Broadway: Phoenix [1966–1967] and I Got a Message: Hollywood [1968–1970].
    “We geek out on tracing the music we love back to its sonic origins,” writes the label in a social media post, “so we put together this mini-doc on the groundbreaking, too-often-overlooked funk band.” The film traces the coming together of the collective fronted by Buffalo, NY native Arlester “Dyke” Christian, and how their discovery in a Phoenix club led to the release of their signature “Funky Broadway” on the Original Sound label.

See the mini-doc here:
    https://youtu.be/AswFa_v_9no

Great find; will watch this weekend. I'm a dilettante fan of D&tB so this will stoke my interest.