[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    197
    Rep Power
    5

    Diana Ross & The Supremes - Let the Music

    This is one of my favourites Dianaís voice is letting us listen to beautiful music

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    4,583
    Rep Power
    102
    One of my very favorites as well. I love Diana's vocal on this.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    624
    Rep Power
    29
    Agreed. Diana's vocals are great on this. I think the rewritten lyrics work better than the original Make the Music Play by Dionne Warwick. But I also like Dionne's versions - very sweet and tender.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,167
    Rep Power
    155
    The Supremes version is by far the superior over Warwick's. Once I found out this was a track for the Symphony album I could not believe they didn't use it. Then it shows up on Let The Sunshine In. Who knew back then that it was Diana, Mary & Florence? Always has been a favorite and such a beautiful song by The Supremes. This would have fared much better as a single than The Composer.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    10,224
    Rep Power
    261
    After just discussing a Diana Ross track that I hate with a vengeance, it is a great relief to get back to a recording that I adore. Diana's interpretation is sublime.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,340
    Rep Power
    130
    It’s Dionne all the way for me on this one. Her vocal is much smoother and more relaxed. I find Diana’s enunciation a little OTT and less convincing.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    10,224
    Rep Power
    261
    Dionne's version is great as well. It never got much radio play over here thanks to a cover version by Lena Martell.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,387
    Rep Power
    157
    Kinda suprised they didn't use it on Reflections album instead of Up and Away

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    197
    Rep Power
    5
    Warwickís Version is boring as heck I canít believe she released us itís pretty bad in my humble opinion Diana Ross you canít compare her singing to Dionne Warwickís never in this world

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,340
    Rep Power
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post
    Warwickís Version is boring as heck I canít believe she released us itís pretty bad in my humble opinion Diana Ross you canít compare her singing to Dionne Warwickís never in this world
    I can and i have. In this instance i prefer Dionne's version. Itís called personal opinion and is all to do with personal preference.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    5,887
    Rep Power
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post
    Warwick’s Version is boring as heck I can’t believe she released us it’s pretty bad in my humble opinion Diana Ross you can’t compare her singing to Dionne Warwick’s never in this world
    Why ever not? Much as i love Diana Ross she was nowhere near as strong a vocalist as Dionne was in her prime.
    Dionne's version is "in my humble opinion" the way superior version. You are entitled to your opinion of course, but calling Dionne's version "boring as heck" is "in my humble opinion" somewhat unfair. Some of us can appreciate both versions.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,387
    Rep Power
    157
    One of the only songs I like from LTSI album.
    The song just stands out

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    197
    Rep Power
    5
    Dionne Warwick does not have that beauty in her voice not even close to any Diana Ross song Rossís voice is from the heavens

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    5,887
    Rep Power
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post
    Dionne Warwick does not have that beauty in her voice not even close to any Diana Ross song Ross’s voice is from the heavens
    That is a matter of opinion.
    Dionne's voice has been a big part of my life for longer than i care to remember. It's a similar story with Diana and several others too. If you cannot recognise the quality of Ms Warwick's voice back in the day then i truly feel sorry for you.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    197
    Rep Power
    5
    She has no where near the voice of Diana if you canít recognize that then same same

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    624
    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    That is a matter of opinion.
    Dionne's voice has been a big part of my life for longer than i care to remember. It's a similar story with Diana and several others too. If you cannot recognise the quality of Ms Warwick's voice back in the day then i truly feel sorry for you.
    I think Dionne has a wonderful voice. On this song there is something plaintive about how she sings this song. I've loved her voice since the first time I heard it. I've always thought that Berry Gordy wanted to mold Brenda Holloway into Motown's version of Dionne Warwick.
    Last edited by SatansBlues; 06-13-2021 at 09:59 PM.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,340
    Rep Power
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post
    She has no where near the voice of Diana if you canít recognize that then same same
    You will find as you mature that other peeps opinions need to be respected. It makes the world a much happier place for all. To quote Diana ďThereís no need to live on an island, cause everyone here respects your opinionĒ.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    197
    Rep Power
    5
    Where discussing Diana not Dionne

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    10,224
    Rep Power
    261
    In most cases, the version I hear first ends up as the version I like best.
    Because I listened to AFN, European radio stations and the pirate stations,, I was lucky enough to have heard the original versions of most 60s songs before they were covered by UK artists.
    However in the case of "Let the Music Play", although the Lena Martell version was the one I heard first, I like her version far less than Diana's and Dionne's which I rate equally.
    Last edited by 144man; 06-15-2021 at 02:34 PM.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    10,224
    Rep Power
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post
    Where discussing Diana not Dionne
    It is always legitimate to compare a cover version with the original.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    5,887
    Rep Power
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    In most cases, the version I hear first ends up as the version I like best.
    Because I listened to AFN, European radio stations and the pirate stations,, I was lucky enough to have heard the original versions of most 60s songs before they were covered by UK artists.
    However in the case of "Let the Music Play", although the Lena Martell version was the one I like best, I like her version far less than Diana's and Dionne's which I rate equally.
    I have never heard the Lena Martell version, and to be honest i am in no hurry to do so. In fact i was blissfully unaware of it's existence until someone mentioned it on here the other day.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    10,224
    Rep Power
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I have never heard the Lena Martell version, and to be honest i am in no hurry to do so. In fact i was blissfully unaware of it's existence until someone mentioned it on here the other day.
    I have amended post #19, the meaning of which was originally the exact opposite of what I intended.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    624
    Rep Power
    29
    Ok, I was curious and found Lena Martell's version... and for those who are also curious...

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    10,224
    Rep Power
    261
    Although it got a lot of plays, thankfully the Lena Martell version didn't chart in the UK.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.