[REMOVE ADS]

songs to add to the Farewell

we all seem to agree that the MOR content got a bit overwhelming. interestingly, the girls recorded a version of Lovelight for TCB. and Ran's recent post about Breathtaking has been fun to explore opinions and thoughts on a fan fav that isn't often discussed

so thought this would be a fun one

For the Farewell concerts, maybe it would have been nice to do more of their hits. a trip down memory lane.

what songs would you have liked added?

I'd vote that they should have done Where Did Our Love Go. maybe even extend it a little. position it as "the song that started it all" and do something fun with it

i think the hits medley should have been replaced with full [[or at least longer versions) of the songs.

and this would have been REALLY hard but what about requests from the audience? obviously almost all of the hits had live versions. and none of the songs were that challenging for the band. Diana could have been talking with the audience about the memories of certain songs, asking which ones the audience would like to hear.

I would have added performances of all of the hits that were not included, in particular I HEAR A SYMPHONY, LOVE IS LIKE AN ITCHING IN MY HEART, YOU CAN'T HURRY LOVE, and YOU KEEP ME HANGIN' ON. I might have also added a "flop" medley including the songs pre-WDOLG.

Definitely would have loved some of the non top charters like, Some things you never get used to and Forever came today but also some of the album fillers. Ask any girl is one of my fave album fillers. Although I don't think Cindy would have worked life on "ask any girl". The song is so great because of the mix of Diana's vocals and Florence's heavy background.
    Last edited by TYK1986; 06-11-2021 at 06:57 PM.

Love is Like an Itchin' in My Heart. This must be one of the most under-appreciated 65-66 DMF songs.

Great topic!

The Farewell album turned out to be a very nice album. Obviously it's most noteworthy for being the last DRATS album. But in the end, I don't think anyone except some diehard fans would consider it a classic live album. The Copa album might be described that way, but I don't think Farewell has aged as well at all.

I opined in another thread, last year or the year before, that the Farewell album should've been a mix of DRATS arena performance and Flamingo performance. I thought it might have been better to have the hits performed in one setting and the MOR stuff in the other. Because of this thread I'm able to reform my opinion and I've concluded that the best option for Farewell was a full length arena show. Second best option is a double album with one disk the arena show with the hits, and the other disk with the MOR stuff from the club. But I think if the Farewell album were going to really sale and ultimately land in the classic live albums column, full arena show.

I would have the ladies open with "Itchin". I think it would give off great energy and set the tone. In no particular order they would commence to performing full versions of their number one hits. In between these, there would be full versions of "My World Is Empty", "Reflections", "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me", which weren't #1 but still massively popular tunes.

Also somewhere in the show they would do a medley of more recent tunes: "In and Out of Love", "Somethings", "Forever", "Composer", "Shame", "I'll Try Something New", and "Sign". They would do another medley of older tunes: "Right Way", "Your Heart Belongs to Me", "Breathtaking", "Lovelight", "Run" and "Heartaches".

Maybe have a medley of the more popular flipsides, like "Ask Any Girl", "Remove This Doubt", "Whisper You Love Me Boy".

I think the show would obviously end with "Someday We'll Be Together", except the ladies make a false exit and end the night with the song that really started it all, "Where Did Our Love Go".

Number 46. That's as high as Diana's exit from the Supremes got. Number 31 even on the r&b chart. I believe the public really was over the Supremes in a nightclub thing.

But in a more specific answer to your question Sup, with the Farewell album as is, I would have definitely had them do "Where Did Our Love Go" and I would've had them do an early Supremes medley of the early stuff like "Your Heart Belongs" and "Breathtaking". One of the things I love about the Smokey farewell is that the group paid homage to their beginnings. Would've loved for the Supremes to have done that.

Quote Originally Posted by TYK1986 View Post
    Definitely would have loved some of the non top charters like, Some things you never get used to and Forever came today but also some of the album fillers. Ask any girl is one of my fave album fillers. Although I don't think Cindy would have worked life on "ask any girl". The song is so great because of the mix of Diana's vocals and Florence's heavy background.
    Mary and Cindy's blend would've undoubtedly been beautiful, but Flo's voice would've definitely been missed on a live version of "Ask".

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Love is Like an Itchin' in My Heart. This must be one of the most under-appreciated 65-66 DMF songs.
    I agree. You can't always tell it by how little it's broadcast to the general public [[such as commercials and such) in comparison with songs like "Hurry" and "Hangin", but I've found that there are a lot of people who rank "Itchin" as their fav Supremes song.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Totally agree. Also, Hanging On. I esp like the more "rock" edged songs ie. Nathan.....

I would have loved to hear them sing "Back In My Arms Again".

I'd love to add "Everything Is Good About You" to the Farewell set.

Of the 3 DRATS live albums, Farewell is my favorite. The set list achieves a pretty good balance between hits, covers and show songs. Only change I'd make would be to pull It's Alright with Me for You Can't Hurry Love or You Keep Me Hangin' On.

Yes I agree and the volume they had on Cindy's mic would have made it work

How could million sellers like WDOLG and YCHL not be in the show.
    Get rid of Sunshine and add all the hits back in

Let the sunshine taking over a whole side was just too much. Side 2 of disc 1 already had mostly other songs and only Love child. I think Where did our love should have been added as it was their break through song and first number 1.