[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes: Cream of the Crop 1969 [[EDIT)

In an alternate timeline Florence never got kicked from The Supremes and her trauma was dealt with behind the scenes. It baffles me she got kicked from something she started. I wish I can go back and change "Diana Ross & The Supremes" from happening and have Flo's movie deal get to her somehow and debut as an actress and have a successful solo career. I'll never understand why Flo was done wrong by the industry and even her friend [Diane] bro like that's messed up. But yeah I read flo was on a few songs [[on the Cream of the Crop album) so I edited her into the photo and took out the over arching photo of Diane.

[[Open these in a new window to look at em)
    One more thing, I want everyone to know that Flo could outsang anyone she wanted to. She wasn't promoted and was given the wrong material by ABC and Berry was turning down movie opportunities for Flo and had her music was on payola. Florence endured so much stress from her rape, betrayal, and her dream being stolen from her and being pushed to the back like a background character in a cartoon. Flo was VERY outspoken and stayed strong at the RIGHT TIMES because what she's worked hard for was getting robbed from her. People fail to understand Flo's story which is why I'll forever be an advocate for her- because I understand her. It makes me hella mad ya'll people bad mouth Flo and Mary but 100% of the stuff ya'll be saying is wrong and that's exactly what Berry and Diane wanted. But it's all over and done with and it sucks that I can't change anything. It also sucks reliving history because I know what happens to Flo and Mary.

Florence "outsanging" anyone she wanted to is a bit of a stretch. Does singing loud make one a good singer? Florence indeed had a nice voice. That can't be disputed. But nothing remarkable or special. Same as Mary. A very sweet voice. But there were 10,000 sweet voices in the 1960's that never got the breaks Florence and Mary did, as a part of the Supremes.

Florence definitely was a victim of circumstance, a role she played until her untimely death. Thankfully we have many audio and video examples of Flo in her prime, which is how she should be remembered.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Florence "outsanging" anyone she wanted to is a bit of a stretch. Does singing loud make one a good singer? Florence indeed had a nice voice. That can't be disputed. But nothing remarkable or special. Same as Mary. A very sweet voice. But there were 10,000 sweet voices in the 1960's that never got the breaks Florence and Mary did, as a part of the Supremes.

Florence definitely was a victim of circumstance, a role she played until her untimely death. Thankfully we have many audio and video examples of Flo in her prime, which is how she should be remembered.
    Excellent response. Agree with you 100%.

"I'll never understand why Flo was done wrong by the industry and even her friend [Diane] bro like that's messed up." Blackfusion

"It baffles me she got kicked from something she started."Blackfusion

Florence was a good singer with a powerful voice and was great in being primarily a background singer, but nothing special compared especially with Diana. The business entity of the Supremes could not go on due to Florence's erratic behavior including outbursts to her boss, not showing up or showing up late for performances and recording sessions, and her drinking problem. One could not put the Supremes train on hold...too many people relied on them in a business sense and financial security. Would the public accept them going on hiatus as Florence got her act together? Florence indeed had some 'demons' to deal with; however, the show must go on.

Maybe if she and Mary felt they were being wronged by Diana and Berry so much, they should have split apart from Diana and started again with another singer. I just feel they both knew Diana was too important to the group for them to start again on their own.

I agree also 100% with what marybrewster posted.

I wish Flo didn't have so many "fans" that primarily view her a big huge hapless and pathetic victim of Diana Ross, Berry Gordy, and Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    I wish Flo didn't have so many "fans" that primarily view her a big huge hapless and pathetic victim of Diana Ross, Berry Gordy, and Motown.
    Victimhood sells. People and groups of people often fight to be thought of as victims as it can be extremely profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Being a fan and being on Facebook, there are so many Supreme Tribute pages whose stated purpose is that the page is for fans to express their love of the Supremes. I find; however, that the pages are used too often as a forum for folks to bash Diana, Berry, and Motown for what happened to Florence. "Florence's voice was so much better than Diane's" [[note 'Diane' is used to somehow take a stab at her.) "It should have been Florence Ballard and the Supremes rather than DRATS" and "She started the group and 'Diane' was asked to join so their success was due to Florence" plays over and over in the comment section. And these are Supremes fans! Were they drawn to the early records with thoughts like, "I can't wait for the next Supremes single so I can listen to the background vocals. I can't stand that lead singer."?

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Being a fan and being on Facebook, there are so many Supreme Tribute pages whose stated purpose is that the page is for fans to express their love of the Supremes. I find; however, that the pages are used too often as a forum for folks to bash Diana, Berry, and Motown for what happened to Florence. "Florence's voice was so much better than Diane's" [[note 'Diane' is used to somehow take a stab at her.) "It should have been Florence Ballard and the Supremes rather than DRATS" and "She started the group and 'Diane' was asked to join so their success was due to Florence" plays over and over in the comment section. And these are Supremes fans! Were they drawn to the early records with thoughts like, "I can't wait for the next Supremes single so I can listen to the background vocals. I can't stand that lead singer."?
    I totally agree. It really does baffle me. I really don’t know how you can be a fan of the 60s Supremes and not like the lead singer. I laugh when I hear comments that Florence and Mary had better voices than Diana Ross. That’s really irrelevant since it was Diana Ross’ voice that sold all those records.

I get sick of reading things like Flo was "another Aretha Franklin " or " another Etta James.." she was nothing of the sort.

The mindsets yall got in these replies is exactly why people pin Diane against Flo. Yall downplaying her talent as well. You people are jus bein hypocrites. Damn that's sad.

Where were all those supposed "We Love Us A Victim" crowd members when Sleepin' was released? They sure didn't show up in great numbers in support of the victim described in that single, and he probably deserved support. I am willing to bet that if he and his bros had been involved in a team effort for a half-dozen years, he would have been on hand every time the team had an engagement, whether they were building bridges, playing basketball or singing pop songs. It is for sure that if they were acrobats or trapeze artists he would have been there when they were hired for a job in New Orleans so the others would not have to sing You Keep Me Hanging On while suspended in space with no one to hold them in place.

By the way, this interpretation of events may be why Diana sang "Somewhere in space I hang suspended until I know there's a chance that you care..." in I Hear A Symphony's Strangers In Paradise. She was complaining that someone else in the group was not doing her share in keeping the group flying high.