[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Temptations - Since I Lost My Baby in Digitally Extracted Stereo

Is there any way to obtain this version please?

I don't know of an official way to obtain it.

Rovereab, check you private messages.

I'd forgotten how brilliant this song was.

"Digitally-Extracted Stereo", Gary? This sounds beautiful, as always, but it sounds like the regular Stereo version to me. What is supposed to be different about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    "Digitally-Extracted Stereo", Gary? This sounds beautiful, as always, but it sounds like the regular Stereo version to me. What is supposed to be different about it?
    Is there a regular stereo version? I thought I read a post a while ago that stated that there isn't a true stereo mix of this song. Maybe I am mistaken???

I don't know, Gary. That's news to me. "SInce I Lost My Baby" is from The Tempt's "Temptin' Temptations" album/CD which is in Stereo. The version included above sounds exactly like the Stereo version that I'm used to. If there are any differences, they're apparently subtle.

I don't know, Gary. That's news to me. "SInce I Lost My Baby" is from The Tempt's "Temptin' Temptations" album/CD which is in Stereo. The version included above sounds exactly like the Stereo version that I'm used to. If there are any differences, they're apparently subtle.
    Maybe my 56 year old ears are deceiving me. Before I responded to your original post, I listened to my Temptin' CD, and the mix sounds mono to my ears. Anyhow, see here:

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...reo-mix.40669/

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Maybe my 56 year old ears are deceiving me. Before I responded to your original post, I listened to my Temptin' CD, and the mix sounds mono to my ears. Anyhow, see here:

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...reo-mix.40669/
    Gary, I put on my headphones and dived deep into "Since I Lost My Baby" twice -- first on the Japanese CD pressing of the "Temptin' Temptations" and, I've gotta say, it sounded fantastic! If Harry says it's not a true Stereo mix, I believe him. He knows the Motown mixes better than all of us put together. But, to my 70-year-old ears, it sounded like true Stereo to me. Not once did it make me cringe like other record companies' fake, reprocessed Stereo. It sounds like the real deal to me. I then listened to the Mono version of "Since I Lost My Baby" on Vol. 5 of "The Complete Motown Singles: 1965. Wow! This, too, sounds fantastic under headphones. There was nothing negative about either version. The "WOW" factor was in high gear for the alleged Stereo version as well as the Mono version.

After listening to the true Stereo version of "Since I Lost My Baby" on "The Motown Stereo Box", I went back and compared it with the version on the Japanese pressing of the "Temptin' Temptations" Stereo CD. I now understand what a reviewer meant when they said it sounds like a "wet" mix as opposed to a dry Mono mix. In other words, if the "Temptin' Temptations" version is indeed Mono, it glistens like a Stereo mix -- unlike the Mono 45 mix on Vol. 5 of "The Complete Motown Singles: 1965."

I always thought this track only existed in mono, apart from an alternate stereo mix.

I know I've not heard the original track in stereo before, so that's why this was a nice surprise!

The first-time-ever Stereo mix of The Tempts' "Since I Lost My Baby" is available on the 4-CD box set of "The Motown Stereo Box" from 2012. It's located on Disc 3, Track 2.

Here's a photo of the box set with complete track list. Just scroll down through to find it in its entirety.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000A0GPOK...4QEA7Q17G7HACS
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 07-04-2021 at 03:14 AM.

Digitally extracted stereo means the mono mix had its elements separated with special software, then remixed just as if it were a multitrack. There is a record company called Eric Records based in San Leandro, California that routinely releases such recordings.
    Last edited by soulster; 07-06-2021 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Digitally extracted stereo means the mono mix had its elements separated with special software, then remixed just as if it were a multitrack. There is a record company called Eric Records based in San Leandro, California that routinely releases such recordings.
    Eric Records does a fantastic job. I am well pleased with the DES stereo oldies they have produced and I have gladly purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    Eric Records does a fantastic job. I am well pleased with the DES stereo oldies they have produced and I have gladly purchased.

Yes, I was very impressed with Eric Records' product. Will be purchasing some of these hopefully in the near future.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  21.1 KB
    This sounds like the stereo version of this song that I've always heard. I don't hear anything new at all.

I don't own the Motown Box and it's no longer on YouTube. I totally forgot it existed so the version I linked to was, I thought, new to me. Sorry for any confusion.

After listening to the true Stereo version of "Since I Lost My Baby" on "The Motown Stereo Box", I went back and compared it with the version on the Japanese pressing of the "Temptin' Temptations" Stereo CD. I now understand what a reviewer meant when they said it sounds like a "wet" mix as opposed to a dry Mono mix. In other words, if the "Temptin' Temptations" version is indeed Mono, it glistens like a Stereo mix -- unlike the Mono 45 mix on Vol. 5 of "The Complete Motown Singles: 1965."
    Ah thanks Gary! I had assumed the version on The Motown Box was the alternate stereo version, but it is actually the original, in glorious stereo! I have been listening to it non stop.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Ah thanks Gary! I had assumed the version on The Motown Box was the alternate stereo version, but it is actually the original, in glorious stereo! I have been listening to it non stop.
    You're very welcome, Tom! Have you noticed how different James Jamerson's electric bass sounds on the true Stereo Motown Box? It kicks butt! "Since I Lost My Baby" has never sounded so fresh and exciting!

You're very welcome, Tom! Have you noticed how different James Jamerson's electric bass sounds on the true Stereo Motown Box? It kicks butt! "Since I Lost My Baby" has never sounded so fresh and exciting!
    Oh yes, everything in that mix POPS!!!!

Oh yes, everything in that mix POPS!!!!

I have got to get that box set!!

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    I have got to get that box set!!
    Oh yes gary, it’s great!!! It has new, extended stereo mixes of LOADS of the best Motown tracks [[and if they're not new extended mixes, they're still in stereo, and still pop!). It’s the kind of compilation that you could put on and would please die-hard fans and casual listeners alike!!!

Oh yes gary, it’s great!!! It has new, extended stereo mixes of LOADS of the best Motown tracks [[and if they're not new extended mixes, they're still in stereo, and still pop!). It’s the kind of compilation that you could put on and would please die-hard fans and casual listeners alike!!!
    Could somebody please explain to me what 'digitally extracted stereo' actually means please - I'm a bit lost

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Could somebody please explain to me what 'digitally extracted stereo' actually means please - I'm a bit lost
    Special software is used on a digital mono recording to isolate the sounds of the various instruments and vocals into seperate tracks. A stereo mix is then made from these multi tracks. [Soulster mentioned this above.]

https://www.ericrecords.com/des_explan-htf17.html
    Last edited by calvin; 07-09-2021 at 01:52 PM.

Most of us have heard The Tracks of My Tears a lot over the years. However, until you hear the version on this set, you have not really heard it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Just to say, the video at the beginning of this thread has the track in ‘digitally extracted’ stereo, not the mix from the Motown Box.
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 07-10-2021 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown4Ever518 View Post
    Most of us have heard The Tracks of My Tears a lot over the years. However, until you hear the version on this set, you have not really heard it!!!
    i AGREE M4EVER!!!!!!!