[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Jackie Wilson "To Be Loved" on The Ed Sullivan Show

One of my favorite Jackie Wilson songs:

Nice to see this. Ed must have really like Jackie's talent. He sang three songs on this show, including the operettic ALONE AT LAST, which was based on a classical music piece,
    " Tchaikovsky's !st Piano Concerto "

And, he also sang LONELY TEARDROPS

Thanks for posting this. There was some great talent in the fifties that some younger people may not be familiar with

This video is kind of sad to watch, but it is part of the music industry that we love. Jackie made loads of money when he was on top, but it ended up in other people's hands.

I just watched this 20/20 video again. There were so many singers of the fifties and sixties that were taken advantage of, ripped off, and remained with nothing in their later years.

The Jackie Wilson Story would make a good movie or Broadway Musical. Actually, I remember seeing a musical about Jackie Wilson about twenty years ago at the Apollo in NYC. I don't know if it was a show that toured the country, but it was very good. I believe Melba Moore was in it too as his mother. It was only there for a short run..

Another show that I saw off Broadway was about Dinah Washington, and that also did not last long. We got two Billie Holiday movies, why not some stuff about Jackie, Dinah and other stars from the fifties that are starting to be forgotten?

I wonder if Berry Gordy, Jr. sat and watched this when it was first run. Imagine the euphoria he must have felt if he did.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    This video is kind of sad to watch, but it is part of the music industry that we love. Jackie made loads of money when he was on top, but it ended up in other people's hands.

Thanks Milven for posting these additional clips. I have not seen that 20/20 clip before. I knew Jackie died broke but didn't realize how young he was when he had the stroke. Those nursing home videos are so sad. I agree he would make for a great movie or musical. If they do I hope the story stays about him and not the women fighting for his money.