[REMOVE ADS]

All for One 💛

This is one of my favourites the Forcefulness in her voice is Magic

It is quite simply another superb song from a quite superb album. I loved her performance of it at Vegas. It's a pity she dropped it from the next tour, but by that time the focus was on the Chic album.

thank god for her HBO special in early 1980 because that is just an amazing show AND includes 5 of the 8 songs from The Boss. and every single other song on the show is stunning. that rendition of My Man is spine shilling. and of course that intro of Mountain and the movie screen!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    It is quite simply another superb song from a quite superb album. I loved her performance of it at Vegas. It's a pity she dropped it from the next tour, but by that time the focus was on the Chic album.
    Actually Diana kept All For One in her shows until 1983, typically as a closer or encore. She must have really enjoyed The Boss LP as Its My House, No One, the title track and All For One were all still in her show through 1982.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    Actually Diana kept All For One in her shows until 1983, typically as a closer or encore. She must have really enjoyed The Boss LP as Its My House, No One, the title track and All For One were all still in her show through 1982.
    wow! interesting that so many of the tracks were still included that late. sure Silk Electric didn't necessarily offer up many gems for the show. but i'd think that by 82 she'd have had Upside Down, Coming Out, Endless Love, Why Do Fools, Mirror Mirror and muscles. not to mention the Supremes medley, Lady stuff, mahogany, mountain, ROAT. i just would have thought House, No One and All would be gone

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    wow! interesting that so many of the tracks were still included that late. sure Silk Electric didn't necessarily offer up many gems for the show. but i'd think that by 82 she'd have had Upside Down, Coming Out, Endless Love, Why Do Fools, Mirror Mirror and muscles. not to mention the Supremes medley, Lady stuff, mahogany, mountain, ROAT. i just would have thought House, No One and All would be gone
    When I saw her in August 1982, she included IT'S MY HOUSE, NO ONE GETS THE PRIZE, and the title track from THE BOSS in her set. When I saw her in August 1983, she was only doing IT'S MY HOUSE.

Marvin Gaye told David Ritz he loved the track and wanted to sing it live with Diana but " she could be funny about things like that"....

I didn't realise that. I don't recall her performing them when i saw her live in the early 80's, but maybe i have just forgotten.

I have the feeling Diana loved/loves The Boss album, yet never recorded with Nick and Val ever again. It’s a bit of a head scratcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I have the feeling Diana loved/loves The Boss album, yet never recorded with Nick and Val ever again. It’s a bit of a head scratcher.
    I don't wish to tread on anyones toes, but when i spoke with Val Simpson several years ago she told me she and Nick sent demos to Diana in the 80's, but they were seemingly rejected. I never heard this story from Diana herself, but she always spoke in glowing terms about Nick and Val so it all comes over as somewhat curious.

I don't wish to tread on anyones toes, but when i spoke with Val Simpson several years ago she told me she and Nick sent demos to Diana in the 80's, but they were seemingly rejected. I never heard this story from Diana herself, but she always spoke in glowing terms about Nick and Val so it all comes over as somewhat curious.
    Curious indeed. The only reason i can think of is the fact there were no mega hit singles released from The Boss, making her reluctant to risk a whole album again.
    Once she had got the self producing bug out of her system, 83 would have been the perfect year for a reunion.

A&S definitely had a much stronger r&b following than pop. of course they had breakthroughs here and there but not to the degree of others. in the 80s it's my opinion that Diana was pushing for more pop work than r&b. i would guess that's why she also didn't work as much with Luther [[along with his age).

I think The Boss is the strongest and most enjoyable album, track for track, of her entire discography

A&S definitely had a much stronger r&b following than pop. of course they had breakthroughs here and there but not to the degree of others. in the 80s it's my opinion that Diana was pushing for more pop work than r&b. i would guess that's why she also didn't work as much with Luther [[along with his age).

I think The Boss is the strongest and most enjoyable album, track for track, of her entire discography
    I guess A & S songs did not usually cross over to the pop charts by this time. There are exceptions of course.
    Her reasons for ditching the demos were probably similar to her ditching Luther's. She wanted pop success over r&b success. It's a great pity she was so short sighted

I guess A & S songs did not usually cross over to the pop charts by this time. There are exceptions of course.
    Her reasons for ditching the demos were probably similar to her ditching Luther's. She wanted pop success over r&b success. It's a great pity she was so short sighted.

Her reasons for ditching the demos were probably similar to her ditching Luther's. She wanted pop success over r&b success. It's a great pity she was so short sighted
    Do you think she regrets it a little now Mr B?.

Not sure if this is true, but I read that Ashford & Simpson’s Solid was originally submitted to Diana in 1983 or 1984. What could have been—it became A&S’s biggest pop hit...

Trust me, I love the song, as I love all of the songs from this Ashford/Simpson project. Do you know how when introduced to something the first time, that first time experience sticks with you? I recall when first listening to this track back in the day, my ears perked up and I had that "whattttt?" expression on my face when I heard the phrase, "You live, you give, you have a ball." Did she sing "ball"? I had to play it over and over until I finally understood the context of the word in that phrase. And no, I didn't have any shady thoughts. It just stuck out to me at that time to be an odd choice of words. I 'get it' now; however, at that time I didn't. Just sharing a little story.

Perhaps, but she was not one to admit her regrets. She once told me she preferred to look back on the positives rather than the negatives of her past.

Not sure if this is true, but I read that Ashford & Simpson’s Solid was originally submitted to Diana in 1983 or 1984. What could have been—it became A&S’s biggest pop hit...
    I don't believe that was true. I know she loved that song and i have a vague recollection of her saying she would have loved to have recorded it. The demos sent to her were submitted in the late 80's rather the early/mid 80's. I do not think she would have rejected Solid. She loved that song.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Trust me, I love the song, as I love all of the songs from this Ashford/Simpson project. Do you know how when introduced to something the first time, that first time experience sticks with you? I recall when first listening to this track back in the day, my ears perked up and I had that "whattttt?" expression on my face when I heard the phrase, "You live, you give, you have a ball." Did she sing "ball"? I had to play it over and over until I finally understood the context of the word in that phrase. And no, I didn't have any shady thoughts. It just stuck out to me at that time to be an odd choice of words. I 'get it' now; however, at that time I didn't. Just sharing a little story.
    oh yes - i had friends that always chuckled at I Ain't Been Licked. dirty minds are a wonderful thing lol

oh yes - i had friends that always chuckled at I Ain't Been Licked. dirty minds are a wonderful thing lol
    I've never heard Marilyn's version of licked..I'm sure it's on YouTube I'm scared to listen lol

This is a lovely song and I love it!