[REMOVE ADS]

Detroit Soul - Andrew Kingslow

Hi guys, I came across this album the other day, produced by Andrew Kingslow, called Detroit Soul. A compilation of some really good, authentic Motown sounding tracks I thought.

I don’t know any of the featured singers on it very well, apart from James Hunter, of the James Hunter Six!

Here's my favourite track!!!!

A great track featuring James Hunter!

For some reason "RSVP" reminds me of "Quicksand".
    Both tracks are very listenable.

Thanks 144, I thought so too. I thought "RVSP" sounded like a Smokey song, and I could hear The Supremes or Vandellas singing it.

"RVSP
    Kisses through the letterbox just for my baby
    RVSP
    Get back to me with a definite maybe!"

This one really sounds like some early Motown, like something Marv Johnson could have recorded!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    This one really sounds like some early Motown, like something Marv Johnson could have recorded!

The first one sounds like a Supremes' 1966 song in the lyrics and vocals, but the instrumentation is awful compared to the Funk Brothers' 1964-66 sound.

The James Hunter has a really good vocal, it's a well-written song, too. All in all, it sounds pretty good. definitely a temptations 1967-style song. The instrumental is a lot better than the first song. it still sounds a little "thin" and needs a plunky piano. But, I don't like those slam-bang, instant endings. They should taper them off in a trail.
    The 3rd song sounds like it was written for Marv Johnson in 1963. But the singer's voice and delivery sounds more like Herman Griffin. I would like to have heard Joe Hunter's band doing this song in late 1962 or 1963, with Dr. Beans Bowles on the flute. The new style instrumentation sort of ruins it for me, but everything else is great. I'd like to hear The Andantes behind Marv on this one. It sounds like some of those B. Holland-Bateman-Gorman songs written for Marv while he was with UA.

All in all, though, these are a pleasant surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    The first one sounds like a Supremes' 1966 song in the lyrics and vocals, but the instrumentation is awful compared to the Funk Brothers' 1964-66 sound.

The James Hunter has a really good vocal, it's a well-written song, too. All in all, it sounds pretty good. definitely a temptations 1967-style song. The instrumental is a lot better than the first song. it still sounds a little "thin" and needs a plunky piano. But, I don't like those slam-bang, instant endings. They should taper them off in a trail.
    The 3rd song sounds like it was written for Marv Johnson in 1963. But the singer's voice and delivery sounds more like Herman Griffin. I would like to have heard Joe Hunter's band doing this song in late 1962 or 1963, with Dr. Beans Bowles on the flute. The new style instrumentation sort of ruins it for me, but everything else is great. I'd like to hear The Andantes behind Marv on this one. It sounds like some of those B. Holland-Bateman-Gorman songs written for Marv while he was with UA.

All in all, though, these are a pleasant surprise.
    Thanks Robb. I have to agree with you on the slam bang endings, it would be better to let them fade out [[like most normal songs). And, you're right, while the instrumentation can’t compare to the Funk Brothers, I thought they had done a nice job recreating the spirit and sound of Motown!

Hey All - noticed your notes on this, and agree on the slam bang endings but due to the nature of the brief I was given on these albums I had to do that for sync and cinema purposes... Thanks for taking the time to listen - I also have a whole album of northern soul inspired tracks should people care to hear more. the albums were all recorded fully live using mic techniques and instruments akin to the era they attempt to emulate. Kind Regards Andrew Kingslow

Hey Andrew, great to have you here!

I have that Northern Soul album too and it’s equally fantastic! I think both albums really succeed in emulating the classic Motown sound. My favourite track from Northern Soul is "Teardrop"!

Who are the lead singers on both albums? I’ve tried to find out more online but I’ve not had much luck.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hey Andrew, great to have you here!

I have that Northern Soul album too and it’s equally fantastic! I think both albums really succeed in emulating the classic Motown sound. My favourite track from Northern Soul is "Teardrop"!

Who are the lead singers on both albums? I’ve tried to find out more online but I’ve not had much luck.
    the singer for this track is Louise Marshall - She sings lead vocals for a fairly well known UK piano player called Jools Holland

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    the singer for this track is Louise Marshall - She sings lead vocals for a fairly well known UK piano player called Jools Holland
    Ah I see, thanks Andrew!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  21.1 KB
    He had a late night TV variety show for quite a while, didn't he? That must have been when I spent a lot of time in The UK during the 1990s and early 2000s. "Later, With Jools Holland" 1992-2010, on The BBC.
    Last edited by robb_k; 07-08-2021 at 12:56 AM.

Jools is on our TVs every New Year's Eve with his Hootenanny. Has some very good guests. Martha Reeves has been on it.

Jools Holland first made his name playing keyboards with the group, Squeeze.