[REMOVE ADS]

In My Lonely Room [[Alternate Mix) from The Supremes A' Go-Go Expanded Edition

During this period of waiting in between Supremes releases, I decided to go back and rediscover some of the previous expanded editions that I have not played in a little while [[gasp!). I decided to give the Supremes A' Go-Go Expanded Edition a spin today. I find that when these excellent releases first come out, I tend to get overwhelmed [[in a good way) by all of the new mixes and awesome content, which sometimes causes me to overlook or not fully appreciate some tracks until much later.

One track that I rediscovered today is the amazing alternate mix of "In My Lonely Room". I recommend listening to this one on a full sound system. They really did a great job in bringing out the strings and background vocals on this particular mix. It sounds much more orchestral and lovely. If you haven't heard it before, you can hear it in the video below.

This rediscovery brought me to my next thought, which I know has been consistently vocalized here, but I felt it deserved to be said again...we are truly lucky to have Andy, George, Kevin and their supportive team behind these Supremes and Ross Expanded Editions. It has been amazing to get these new mixes and rare content for each release, versus a straight-plain, direct-to-disc reissue. They have taken the time and effort to breathe new life into each album. I can only hope there is more to come

Just listened to the alternate mix followed by Martha & The Vandellas’ version. While the remix is a great improvement over the anemic original mix, M&TV's is still superior, imo, on almost any dimension and should have gone Top Ten.

Great Mix!

Great to hear the lovely harmony!

Great choice Carlo! I remember my intro to Martha and the V's version was via the 1966 Greatest Hits album which, if memory serves me, was the first M&V album I collected. I loved "In My Lonely Room" from the intro to the ending and couldn't help but think, man, would this have been a great one for the Supremes. It was some years before I discovered the Supremes had actually recorded a version and then a few more before I got my hands on it.

I was disappointed. The entire group, Diana included, seemed to be buried in the mix. I could hear the instruments better than I could the singers. Diana was a bit more audible than Flo and Mary, who were barely coming through the music. Thankfully, we got a better mix with the A Go Go EE. Diana is appropriately audible, and she handles the lead as well as I always figured she would. Unfortunately I'm still somewhat disappointed that Flo and Mary aren't more audible. Yes, it's ten times better than the other mix, but I still feel like Flo and Mary are more orchestration than vocal support, which is the opposite of what the Vandellas were doing on Martha's version.

I'm also disappointed that the handclaps are not on the new mix. To me, that's another part of what makes Martha and the Vandellas' version jump. Maybe by 1966 they thought handclaps were passe. But that couldn't be it because handclaps are on "This Old Heart Of Mine" and "These Boots". The missing handclaps are also another reason why I'm not too fond of the Supremes' "Honey Boy". The handclaps make Mary Wells' "Honey Boy" sound richer, fuller.

Anyway, complaints aside, I do enjoy listening to this one. I think it was a worthy replacement for some other song that actually made the original album.