[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Telephone

Telephone

What a wonderful song question is who was she trying to get the phone

Is RCA song really moves me it makes you want to make phone calls and connect with people that I haven’t seen in a long time other than that it’s a great song with your phenomenal voice

She was trying to find a horny man on the phone to beckon him to come on over as she had needs to be filled.

Do have needs to be filled

Diana sounds terrific on this slow jam which proved an r & b smash. Certainly one of her best recordings for rca.
    It had the potential to go huge pop as well as r &b had it featured on the Silk Electric album. The perfect follow up single to “Muscles”.
    A lot of my friends who were not crazy on Ross liked this particular song very much.

I looked up the " 12 inch vinyl on eBay..only two promo copies without picture sleeve..was it not released commercially on " 12 inch ?

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    I looked up the " 12 inch vinyl on eBay..only two promo copies without picture sleeve..was it not released commercially on " 12 inch ?
    I don't think there was a commercial 12". Back then I lived in the record stores so I definitely would have bought one if it existed. I have one of those promo 12"s and I think it is the same as the album version.

man that is some masterful drum-machine programming.

Someone years ago they played it in the summer once in New York and the whole neighborhood was loving it.. nice memory

Someone years ago they played it in the summer once in New York and the whole neighborhood was loving it.. nice memory
    It was indeed very infectious. I so wish Bernard Edwards had produced more of the songs on Swept Away. “We Are The Children” and “Rescue Me” are appalling recordings for someone of Diana’s musical stature.
    Had “Telephone” been recorded just a couple of year earlier i think it could have gone top ten. RCA appeared to have little faith in it’s pop potential as it was serviced mostly to r &b radio stations. At that point in time they were probably right.

Diana’s vocals on this song sound terribly painful and strained. It was like someone was pinching her. Not a pleasant vibe and thus not a pleasant listen, IMHO.

She sounds absolutely Phenomena her voice is like magic but telephone is calling everyone saying I love you

The 12 inch version is indeed just the album version.

Name:  R-964710-1423167981-7191.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  57.7 KB

[QUOTE=Ollie9;633861]It was indeed very infectious. I so wish Bernard Edwards had produced more of the songs on Swept Away. “We Are The Children” and “Rescue Me” are appalling recordings for someone of Diana’s musical stature.
    Had “Telephone” been recorded just a couple of year earlier i think it could have gone top ten. RCA appeared to have little faith in it’s pop potential as it was serviced mostly to r &b radio stations. At that
    point in time they were probably right.[/QUOTE

What was RCA thinking? Both All Of You and Swept Away had placed in the pop top 20; Missing You, the previous single, peaked in the top 10. Telephone definitely has an R&B vibe, but it’s surprising they had such little faith in promoting it as a follow up to the biggest hit from the LP.

[QUOTE=JohnnyB;633966]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    It was indeed very infectious. I so wish Bernard Edwards had produced more of the songs on Swept Away. “We Are The Children” and “Rescue Me” are appalling recordings for someone of Diana’s musical stature.
    Had “Telephone” been recorded just a couple of year earlier i think it could have gone top ten. RCA appeared to have little faith in it’s pop potential as it was serviced mostly to r &b radio stations. At that
    point in time they were probably right.[/QUOTE

What was RCA thinking? Both All Of You and Swept Away had placed in the pop top 20; Missing You, the previous single, peaked in the top 10. Telephone definitely has an R&B vibe, but it’s surprising they had such little faith in promoting it as a follow up to the biggest hit from the LP.
    It was nice to have a few songs on the album which would appeal to her r & b/soul fans. I would have made it the lead single in the UK where “Missing You” never took off.
    She performed a wonderful live version of the song when i saw her in concert at the UK’s Royal Albert Hall during 85.
    A whole album with Bernard might have proved a terrific follow up album to SA and reunited her with r & b fan base who were feeling a little left out in the cold at this point in time.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 06-06-2021 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post

Despite the pop success of ALL OF YOU and SWEPT AWAY, MISSING YOU had a hard road there. Initially it only peaked in the 50s [I think] on the pop chart while hitting #1 R&B. It wasn't until Diana appeared on the American Music Awards that it gained pop radio attention. RCA might very well thought its pop success was a fluke.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Despite the pop success of ALL OF YOU and SWEPT AWAY, MISSING YOU had a hard road there. Initially it only peaked in the 50s [I think] on the pop chart while hitting #1 R&B. It wasn't until Diana appeared on the American Music Awards that it gained pop radio attention. RCA might very well thought its pop success was a fluke.
    Taborrelli told a story of an RCA promotions assistant throwing a copy of the single at a radio dj saying " play it if you want to but it's crap"...not the most professional attitude to have...

Taborrelli told a story of an RCA promotions assistant throwing a copy of the single at a radio dj saying " play it if you want to but it's crap"...not the most professional attitude to have...
    Wasn't that “Eaten Alive”??

I'm sure it was telephone

He did mention that TELEPHONE was only serviced to black radio stations.

But he didn't specifically name which record it was that was tossed like a Frisbee. He mentioned that RCA promotion men thought she was no longer of interest to a pop music audience because of her consistently weak showing in the record stores. Considering how badly the following singles EATEN ALIVE and CHAIN REACTION did pop-wise, it could have been any one of them.

Did she include the track in her live shows at that period ?

Did she include the track in her live shows at that period ?
    I attended the Swept Away tour in April of 1985 while Missing You was in the Billboard top 10 and Telephone was not performed. But, friends who saw later dates of the tour report she added the song to her set list.

I attended the Swept Away tour in April of 1985 while Missing You was in the Billboard top 10 and Telephone was not performed. But, friends who saw later dates of the tour report she added the song to her set list.
    Thanks Johnny..I wonder how it sounded live compared to the studio cut..not the easiest sound for a live band to reproduce

[QUOTE=Ollie9;634065]

It was nice to have a few songs on the album which would appeal to her r & b/soul fans. I would have made it the lead single in the UK where “Missing You” never took off.
    She performed a wonderful live version of the song when i saw her in concert at the UK’s Royal Albert Hall during 85.
    A whole album with Bernard might have proved a terrific follow up album to SA and reunited her with r & b fan base who were feeling a little left out in the cold at this point in time.
    I also enjoyed her live version of the song. I seem to remember it being a A lot softer with lots of flute work.

One of her rca singles with no music video - along with it's never too late,up front and let's go up..was she just trying to cut costs at times ?

She performed the song well into the Eaten Alive tour so she must have loved it. It worked very well live, sounding pretty faithful to the album version. It was used to introduce several of the band members and having them solo on the track. One of my favourite live memories!

Quote Originally Posted by whitesoxx View Post
    She performed the song well into the Eaten Alive tour so she must have loved it. It worked very well live, sounding pretty faithful to the album version. It was used to introduce several of the band members and having them solo on the track. One of my favourite live memories!
    Agree. For me it was the unexpected highlight of the concert.
    One that slipped through the net.

One of her rca singles with no music video - along with it's never too late,up front and let's go up..was she just trying to cut costs at times ?
    Not entirely sure, but i do know she did not enjoy making music videos. She thought of them as a necèssary evil, but in the examples you quoted seemingly not an absolute necessary evil.
    She was rarely at her best when standing around for hours on end awaiting instructions from the director. I witnessed lots of drama during these shootings.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Not entirely sure, but i do know she did not enjoy making music videos. She thought of them as a necèssary evil, but in the examples you quoted seemingly not an absolute necessary evil.
    She was rarely at her best when standing around for hours on end awaiting instructions from the director. I witnessed lots of drama during these shootings.
    Fascinating Blue..you would think after hundreds of tv appearances,the specials and three movies under her belt she would be used to shooting delays and hours waiting for camera time..but maybe that's why she could become exasperated on music video shoots with her experience she knew when time was being wasted ? Or did she get performance anxiety ?

I have the bootleg of the concert in Ahoy where she sings "Telephone", but even if it's an excellent performance, she doesn't sing as high as on the single.
    Do you think she can sing in such a high register while performing live?
    I think of songs like Telephone, Watching you or Summertime, tell me again

Yes, she has said this in a few interviews, but pertaining to filming movies. She describes herself as a high energy person, and she cannot stand the waiting around. So sad about that. She should have a lot more music videos than she does.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    I have the bootleg of the concert in Ahoy where she sings "Telephone", but even if it's an excellent performance, she doesn't sing as high as on the single.
    Do you think she can sing in such a high register while performing live?
    I think of songs like Telephone, Watching you or Summertime, tell me again
    It probably depends on the song. Singers often drop keys when they sing a song in concert, even if it is for a relatively new recording. Doing it a few times in the studio is quite different from having to do it every night on tour.

[QUOTE=Ollie9;634065]

Telephone doesn't sound to me like a big UK hit - I don't see it would have got much airplay.

Diana wasn't being very cleverly handled by EMI in the UK at that time - Touch By Touch was entirely the correct lead single from Swept Away and had it had any decent promotion behind it was definitely top 20, even higher.

As for Missing You - what was going on?

It defies belief that a major UK label couldn't even chart a record in the top 75 [[nudge, nudge, wink, wink) despite several attempts at re-promotion.

Fascinating Blue..you would think after hundreds of tv appearances,the specials and three movies under her belt she would be used to shooting delays and hours waiting for camera time..but maybe that's why she could become exasperated on music video shoots with her experience she knew when time was being wasted ? Or did she get performance anxiety ?
    She would get very nervous prior to a concert, but not usually for a tv spot or a video shoot. She just did not see the point of music videos. She was old school. She thought all records were introduced via the tried and tested medium of radio. She was not part of the mtv crowd. I recall her once complaining that certain other artists [[whom we shall not name here) put more thought and effort into their video shoot rather than the actual song. She did not mince her words when privately discussing the talent or lack of talent of certain performers, but to her credit she rarely publicly criticised another performer. She was the ultimate professional.

there are some quotes of Diana enthusing about how exciting the video format was, being able to create mini movies to explore how to visually represent the song. of course it was probably intended just to be a good sound bite as the MTV world was developing.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    there are some quotes of Diana enthusing about how exciting the video format was, being able to create mini movies to explore how to visually represent the song. of course it was probably intended just to be a good sound bite as the MTV world was developing.
    Don't believe everything you read.
    She waxed lyrical about Workin' overtime to the press, yet she told me it was the biggest crock of shit she ever recorded. Her words not mine.

She waxed lyrical about Workin' overtime to the press, yet she told me it was the biggest crock of shit she ever recorded. Her words not mine.
    lol - yeah i'm not putting much faith in that statement, although for some reason i thought it was part of Secrets of a Sparrow. but i would put even LESS faith in that! lol

Ha ha that's brilliant !

You don't know how much that struck me in the chest to read! I love that song and album.

Bluebrock that’s one of the things we love about her not Criticizing other artists she is very humble

Quote Originally Posted by JLoveLamar View Post
    You don't know how much that struck me in the chest to read! I love that song and album.
    In that case i had better be careful with what i say in the future.
    I do not wish to hurt your feelings any further.

Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post
    Bluebrock that’s one of the things we love about her not Criticizing other artists she is very humble
    I always loved it when she took the high road when being criticised herself. Several other artists could have taken a leaf out of her book..
    Step forward Anita, Whitney, Mariah, and Jlo to name but four.

It is disappointing to learn an artist wasn't as big on certain music that you personally took to heart. But what do we expect these artists to say publicly, they put on a brave face , try too convincingly sell it and hope for the best . Who knows, they might have it wrong, from a distance its a lot better 'product' than they think! These recording artists were under a lot of pressure to produce and to meet contract demands even at times when they weren't particularly inspired. Just get the crap out there !

I like to learn the truth, the inside truths ....thanks for you candor Bluebrock.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I like to learn the truth, the inside truths ....thanks for you candor Bluebrock.
    Same here. I want the hard truth, even if it hurts. I appreciate the insight. Thank you, Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    It is disappointing to learn an artist wasn't as big on certain music that you personally took to heart. But what do we expect these artists to say publicly, they put on a brave face , try too convincingly sell it and hope for the best . Who knows, they might have it wrong, from a distance its a lot better 'product' than they think! These recording artists were under a lot of pressure to produce and to meet contract demands even at times when they weren't particularly inspired. Just get the crap out there !

I can supply candor by the bucketload guys, but i am not entirely sure it is condusive to a happy and stable forum. Some people cannot handle the truth, because sometimes the truth can hurt people, and i am not just referring to fans of Diana when i say that.

I can supply candor by the bucketload guys, but i am not entirely sure it is condusive to a happy and stable forum. Some people cannot handle the truth, because sometimes the truth can hurt people, and i am not just referring to fans of Diana when i say that.
    I can handle it. I mean, it pings when they hate music they've created that you love, but I Will Survive. It's all good. I definitely want you to be honest. Can you tell us what Miss Ross was like during the filming of the Red Hot R&B album and the R&B television special? What was she like when she was getting ready to leave RCA and head back to Motown?

Quote Originally Posted by JLoveLamar View Post
    I can handle it. I mean, it pings when they hate music they've created that you love, but I Will Survive. It's all good. I definitely want you to be honest. Can you tell us what Miss Ross was like during the filming of the Red Hot R&B album and the R&B television special? What was she like when she was getting ready to leave RCA and head back to Motown?
    I'm afraid all that happened before i worked with her. I only joined the party at the start of the Workin' Overtime album/tour.