[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: R.i.p. Al kent

R.i.p. Al kent

I just learned of the passing of Al. I'm always shocked when this happens. Al was a special guy and it seems I knew him forever. Detroit has lost another giant in the Detroit music scene.

No offense, but I thought he was already dead. Nevertheless, RIP Al and thank you for the music.

That's really sad news. I met him at the last Detroit A-Go-Go event a couple of years ago. He was a really nice guy and seemed genuinely excited to meet his fans.

His book is well worth a read as well to anyone interested in Detroit Soul music, which I imagine most forum members are.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    I just learned of the passing of Al. I'm always shocked when this happens. Al was a special guy and it seems I knew him forever. Detroit has lost another giant in the Detroit music scene.
    Very sad news. Such a great talent. May he rest in eternal peace.

Very sad for us Detroit followers. Thank you for the music Al.

He did "You Move Me" on The Supremes for their "Right On" lp, it remains one of my all time favorite songs. RIP Al

Very sad news. I remember way back being introduced to the work of Al Kent aka Al Hamilton through the Ric-Tic recordings by The Fantastic Four. Not only did he work on the early Fantastic Four recordings, he also wrote and produced some of their later work, notably the Alvin Stone album. [[This album was incidentally engineered by Ken Sands who passed just days ago.) Everything he touched was terrific. Whilst everyone knows "You Got To Pay The Price, Al thought his greatest creative achievement was the track "Goddess Of Love" by the Fantastic Four. Not only did Al produce the track, he also co-wrote it with his wife Norma Toney. Here it is with its original strings. RIP Al.

You read about Al on this soulfuldetroit page...
    https://soulfuldetroit.com/web07-gol...-al%20kent.htm

Quote Originally Posted by nsoule View Post
    That's really sad news. I met him at the last Detroit A-Go-Go event a c ouple of years ago. He was a really nice guy and seemed genuinely excited to meet his fans.

His book is well worth a read as well to anyone interested in Detroit Soul music, which I imagine most forum members are.
    Ralph and I sat with Al and his niece at the Detroit A-Go-Go where Ralph and his brother were part of a panel discussion with Al and Clay McMurray -- another giant taken too soon.

We also bought his gigantic book, from Amazon, Custodians of the Hummingbird.
    Last edited by 9A; 06-01-2021 at 01:54 PM.

I've placed orders twice for Al's book, but each time the fulfillment failed and I was reimbursed. It is just impossible to get. I have read excerpts and it is very informative. Hopefully it will regain distribution

Sad News, Rest in Peace Al, Thanks for The Music, No One can ever take that away from us!

The book regular comes up for sale on Ebay, and Amazon UK, but you will pay just Under £40 which is about $57, there is a new copy on Ebay at present, and one like new.

The thing you have to be concerned about is the shipping and handling. The book is over 600 pages long and strongly resembles a Sears Roebuck catalog like they used to put out.

There are a lot of previously unseen pictures from the Ric Tic/Golden World/Wingate era that you will enjoy. It is a good investment, but keep in mind the shipping. I got mine way back when it was released and took advantage of Amazon's PRIME shipping rates.

The book is great but it lacked a proofreader. Often times you would see a persons name spelled correctly on one page and incorrectly on the next. You have to stretch your imagination sometimes when you read it. It is a long long read, unfortunately, there is no index at the back to help you out.
    Last edited by woodward; 06-05-2021 at 10:45 AM.