[REMOVE ADS]

B J Thomas has died

Name:  B J Thomas pic.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  82.8 KB

• Singer B.J. Thomas has died at the age of 78

• He was best known for his hit songs “Hooked on a Feeling” and “Raindrops Keep Fallin’ on My Head.”
    • He was also awarded membership to the Grand Ole Opry.

Thomas was, in some respects, a hot mess. Yet he was also a wonderful, understated singer with an instantly recognizable sound and style. Interesting that he was on Sceptor as I found his 'holding back' style to be similar to his brilliant label-mate Dionne. Sing on, BJT, and your voice will be heard on several iconic singles for at least the near future.

BJ used to record at the American Sound Studios with The Memphis Boys rhythm section and The Memphis Horns... RIP...

Rest In Peace. Great singer, my fave of his is "Hooked On A Feelin'" .

Yes that was one of his many great songs. But that group Blue Suede that butchered it should have been horsewhipped.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtWLlHE0CX0

big blue - eyed Northern Soul play.
    Last edited by snakepit; 05-30-2021 at 02:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Thomas was, in some respects, a hot mess. Yet he was also a wonderful, understated singer with an instantly recognizable sound and style. Interesting that he was on Sceptor as I found his 'holding back' style to be similar to his brilliant label-mate Dionne. Sing on, BJT, and your voice will be heard on several iconic singles for at least the near future.
    I do not know much about his private life so i cannot comment on him being "a hot mess", but he was a very talented singer/songwriter. His Sceptor recordings were generally excellent. Ace records released a superb compilation many years ago. I am less familiar with his later recordings. I always planned to check them out. Perhaps this sad news will finally persuade me to. May he r.i.p.

He was one of my all-time favorite singers along with James Brown. I too agree he was underrated and you didn’t realize how great he was because of his understated style. He had so many great songs and so many phases to a long career.

His gospel albums, his live albums, and the albums that came close to being country all showed how versatile he really was. The only thing he really didn’t sing was rhythm and blues. But I’m convinced he could have if he wanted to. And on some of his early albums he even performed some old standards such as “smoke gets in your eyes“ and he sang those beautifully as well.

After his early days of substance-abuse, he had a wonderful life and was married to the same woman for over 50 years. His two memoirs are also worth checking out and well worth reading.

When I moved last year cross country, I pared down my record collection by almost 2/3, but I didn’t let any of his albums go just like I hung onto all my James Brown albums as well. In my opinion neither one of these two singers could ever be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    Name:  B J Thomas pic.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  82.8 KB

• Singer B.J. Thomas has died at the age of 78

• He was best known for his hit songs “Hooked on a Feeling” and “Raindrops Keep Fallin’ on My Head.”
    • He was also awarded membership to the Grand Ole Opry.
    Eyes of a New York Woman is my favorite.

One of the recent obits mentioned that Dionne introduced BJ to Bacharach & David at Sceptor. No reason why this would not be true, but I wonder if anyone knows it as a verifiable fact? I plan to access BJ via: Spotify this weekend: it would be interesting to hear expanded posts from others regarding favorite / notable lps, etc. I'm happy to see Thomas as well-remembered. For a time there was always a new BJT song on the radio and it was always great.

One of the recent obits mentioned that Dionne introduced BJ to Bacharach & David at Sceptor. No reason why this would not be true, but I wonder if anyone knows it as a verifiable fact? I plan to access BJ via: Spotify this weekend: it would be interesting to hear expanded posts from others regarding favorite / notable lps, etc. I'm happy to see Thomas as well-remembered. For a time there was always a new BJT song on the radio and it was always great.
    In the book SCEPTER WAND FOREVER, Huey Meaux is credited with bringing B.J. to Scepter. But B.J. and Dionne did record a couple of duets that went unreleased for years.

@Peace,

I never heard that Dionne Warwick had brought BJ Thomas into Specter Records. I would say that if that story was circulated by Florence Greenberg, the head of the company, I think she was notoriously unreliable as far as some things she stated in interviews. At one time she referred to BJ Thomas, her own artist, as a good looking guy but a one hit wonder! Of course the former part of that statement is true, he was great looking, but certainly not the latter!

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    In the book SCEPTER WAND FOREVER, Huey Meaux is credited with bringing B.J. to Scepter. But B.J. and Dionne did record a couple of duets that went unreleased for years.
    Thanks, Reese. The story seemed a little press-release-friendly!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    @Peace,

I never heard that Dionne Warwick had brought BJ Thomas into Specter Records. I would say that if that story was circulated by Florence Greenberg, the head of the company, I think she was notoriously unreliable as far as some things she stated in interviews. At one time she referred to BJ Thomas, her own artist, as a good looking guy but a one hit wonder! Of course the former part of that statement is true, he was great looking, but certainly not the latter!
    I concur that BJ was a handsome guy! But I wonder why Greenberg would refer to him as a OHW? On Scepter alone he had more than one hit ...

I gave a listen to the 'Everybody's Out of Town' lp, the follow-up to the mega-successful 'Raindrops'. A near-great lp only made a tad inconsequential by one-too-many over-covered covers [[lookin' at 'Bridge Over Troubled Waters'). But nicely arranged and beautifully sung, and containing the near-hit title song [[an odd single choice, IMO) one big hig [['I Just Can't Help Believing') some nice, lesser-known Bachrach-David numbers and very credible covers of 'What Does It Take [[To Win Your Love For Me)', 'Oh Me Oh My' [[a personal favorite) as well as the cringe-worthy-in-2021 'Created For Man'. I would argue these 50 eons on that the title song was not a great single choice and would have preferred OMOM, but certainly a good lp.

I concur that BJ was a handsome guy! But I wonder why Greenberg would refer to him as a OHW? On Scepter alone he had more than one hit ...
    I know! I think it was in a Goldmine article years ago where I read that. Even in the article, they fact checked her. I imagine she was pretty old by then. Maybe she was suffering from Quincy Jones Syndrome!

some people seem to have a god given singing voice:

love it.

RIP BJ Thomas

I didn't know anything about BJ beyond Raindrops and Hooked on a Feeling
    RIP, Mr Thomas...

I developed a love for B.J.'s music in the late '70s when I discovered his Christian music, especially "Home Where I Belong". Then I started buying his Pop albums on MCA as well. From then on, I continued buying ALL of his CDs, including his complete, earlier Scepter recordings which were released as 2-fer CDs. Can't forget his two autobiography books. I'll forever love and miss B.J. He was a good guy with a beautiful voice.

https://youtu.be/rlwon4AQJL4

I lost track of his music after 1978 once he went fully to christian music. But, what an amazing portfolio!

My favorites of his are:

I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
    Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head
    Everyone's Gone Out Of Town
    Hooked On A Feeling
    Rock & Roll Lullaby
    Hey, Won't You Play Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song
    Everybody Loves A Rain Sing
    Don't Worry, Baby [[a Beach Boys cover)
    Last edited by soulster; 05-31-2021 at 05:30 AM.

I liked his Christian album that had the song Story Book Reality on it. I don't think it was ever released on CD. Maybe now it will come out.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    I liked his Christian album that had the song Story Book Reality on it. I don't think it was ever released on CD. Maybe now it will come out.
    Mr. June, I may be able to help you there, or, at least, steer you in the right direction.

Back in 2014, Real Gone Music [[bless their hearts!) reissued all four of B.J. Thomas' Christian albums from the Myrrh label onto two 2-fer CDs. The track you're looking for -- "Storybook Realities" -- is from the first of BJ.'s four albums-- "Home Where I Belong", which leads off the first 2-fer. I checked Amazon and eBay so that I could provide the CD photos for you, but their B.J. Thomas selection is practically non-existent. If you check Real Gone Music's website, they just might still have these CDs in stock. All four of B.J's Christian CDs on Myrrh are excellent, which probably explains why they all sold out on Amazon and eBay.

For the benefit of those who may be interested, the CDs and tracklists are as follows:

[NOTE: Most of B.J.'s Christian recordings are inspirational. However, there are a few song titles below which lean more heavily toward the religious/gospel realm. If you're easily offended, STOP RIGHT HERE and read no further.]

B.J THOMAS - "Home Where I Belong" [[1976) and "Happy Man" [[1978)

Real Gone Music RGM- 0314 [[2014)

"HOME WHERE I BELONG" [[1976)

1) Without A Doubt
    2) You Were There To Catch Me
    3) Storybook Realities
    4) Common Ground
    5) Down Isn't So Bad
    6) Home Where I Belong
    7) Starving Sinner, Sleeping Saint
    8) Shine On
    9) I Wanna Be Ready
    10) Hallelujah

BONUS TRACKS:
    11) Odessa Beggerman
    12) Evermore

"HAPPY MAN" [[1978)
    13) From The Start
    14) He's The Hand On My Shoulder
    15) Bridge Of Love
    16) I Want To Be More Like Jesus
    17) Beautiful Music
    18) Happy Man
    19) What A Difference You've Made
    20) He's Got It All In Control
    21) Thank You Lord
    22) The Word Is Love

B.J. THOMAS - "You Gave Me Love" [[1979) and "Miracle" [[1982)

Real Gone Music RGM-0315 [[2014)

"YOU GAVE ME LOVE" [[1979)

1) Using Things And Loving People
    2) Jesus On My Mind
    3) You Gave Me Love [[When Nobody Gave Me A Prayer)
    4) The Faith Of A Little Child
    5) I'm Gonna See Jesus
    6) Lord I'm Just A Baby
    7) What Your Love Did For Me
    8) I Need To Be Still [[And Let God Love Me)
    9) Love Has Arrived
    10) He's Waking In My Shoes

"MIRACLE" [[1982)

11) Satan, You're A Liar
    12) Would They Love Him Down In Shreveport
    13) Hey Jesus, You're My Best Friend
    14) Hand Of The Man
    15) Born Again
    16) Mr. Heartache Mender
    17) I Need A Miracle
    18) I'm In Tune [[Finding How Good Life Can Be)
    19) The Owner Of The Store
    20) Sail On Atlanta

BONUS TRACKS:
    21) The Only Man-Made Thing In Heaven Are The Scars On Jesus' Hands
    22) Away In A Manger
    23) The First Noel

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Mr. June, I may be able to help you there, or, at least, steer you in the right direction.

Back in 2014, Real Gone Music [[bless their hearts!) reissued all four of B.J. Thomas' Christian albums from the Myrrh label onto two 2-fer CDs. The track you're looking for -- "Storybook Realities" -- is from the first of BJ.'s four albums-- "Home Where I Belong", which leads off the first 2-fer. I checked Amazon and eBay so that I could provide the CD photos for you, but their B.J. Thomas selection is practically non-existent. If you check Real Gone Music's website, they just might still have these CDs in stock. All four of B.J's Christian CDs on Myrrh are excellent, which probably explains why they all sold out on Amazon and eBay.

For the benefit of those who may be interested, the CDs and tracklists are as follows:

[NOTE: Most of B.J.'s Christian recordings are inspirational. However, there are a few song titles below which lean more heavily toward the religious/gospel realm. If you're easily offended, STOP RIGHT HERE and read no further.]

B.J THOMAS - "Home Where I Belong" [[1976) and "Happy Man" [[1978)

Real Gone Music RGM- 0314 [[2014)

"HOME WHERE I BELONG" [[1976)

1) Without A Doubt
    2) You Were There To Catch Me
    3) Storybook Realities
    4) Common Ground
    5) Down Isn't So Bad
    6) Home Where I Belong
    7) Starving Sinner, Sleeping Saint
    8) Shine On
    9) I Wanna Be Ready
    10) Hallelujah

BONUS TRACKS:
    11) Odessa Beggerman
    12) Evermore

"HAPPY MAN" [[1978)
    13) From The Start
    14) He's The Hand On My Shoulder
    15) Bridge Of Love
    16) I Want To Be More Like Jesus
    17) Beautiful Music
    18) Happy Man
    19) What A Difference You've Made
    20) He's Got It All In Control
    21) Thank You Lord
    22) The Word Is Love

B.J. THOMAS - "You Gave Me Love" [[1979) and "Miracle" [[1982)

Real Gone Music RGM-0315 [[2014)

"YOU GAVE ME LOVE" [[1979)

1) Using Things And Loving People
    2) Jesus On My Mind
    3) You Gave Me Love [[When Nobody Gave Me A Prayer)
    4) The Faith Of A Little Child
    5) I'm Gonna See Jesus
    6) Lord I'm Just A Baby
    7) What Your Love Did For Me
    8) I Need To Be Still [[And Let God Love Me)
    9) Love Has Arrived
    10) He's Waking In My Shoes

"MIRACLE" [[1982)

11) Satan, You're A Liar
    12) Would They Love Him Down In Shreveport
    13) Hey Jesus, You're My Best Friend
    14) Hand Of The Man
    15) Born Again
    16) Mr. Heartache Mender
    17) I Need A Miracle
    18) I'm In Tune [[Finding How Good Life Can Be)
    19) The Owner Of The Store
    20) Sail On Atlanta

BONUS TRACKS:
    21) The Only Man-Made Thing In Heaven Are The Scars On Jesus' Hands
    22) Away In A Manger
    23) The First Noel
    Gary, I just checked this thread and saw your post. Yep, I missed it but will still look around to see if anyone else has the 2 for CD. Thank you very much for all of the information that you posted.

Edit: I found a copy on Ebay. I paid triple the cost but that's OK. I really like the songs
    Last edited by mr_june; 06-14-2021 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    Gary, I just checked this thread and saw your post. Yep, I missed it but will still look around to see if anyone else has the 2 for CD. Thank you very much for all of the information that you posted.

Edit: I found a copy on Ebay. I paid triple the cost but that's OK. I really like the songs
    You're very welcome, Mr. June.
    Congratulations on your lucky find! I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying it.

God Bless you and your family!

Thanks! And the same to you and yours.