[REMOVE ADS]

"Poinciana" performed live by Smokey Robinson & The Miracles 1967

This is actually a great video for the chance to see them perform this live on TV. I associate the song with Smokey Robinson & The Miracles since I heard it on their live album [[the white one). Love the version by MFSB as well.

I know it's an old tune - long before Ahmad Jamal did anything with it I think. Ahmad did have an album released on Motown [[and Mojazz CD) called "Night Song. See the CD here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57682957305486

I had no idea Ahmad Jamal had recorded for Motown. It looks like it was a one off deal. He's a great artist. I never really understood what this song was about from the lyrics. I'll have to check it out. Another oldie which I never understood its meaning was "Cirribirribean," however you spell that!

May be a good idea for a thread...name a song which you never understood. Might be fun. There's some movies like that. For example the Bogart-Bacall classic "The Big Sleep" is generally considered one of the most confusing and difficult to comprehend story lines in film history. In fact, I believe even the original author [[Raymond Chandler?) said he didn't know who committed one murder in the book/film which was never explained! I guess the original [[pre-release) version was not so difficult to figure out, but in beefing up Bacall's part prior to release, which even involved recasting some of the roles to new actors, the story became more and more mystifying. It's a fascinating history, and I still find the film hard to follow even after having seen it a few times! TCM occasionally shows the original pre-release version, and I think both are on the DVD of the film.
    Last edited by kenneth; 06-20-2022 at 01:01 PM.