[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: After you

After you

And as for loving again
    Somewhere, somebody might need me
    But where would it lead me?
    I'd just be rising to fall

Such a beautiful, timeless song that seems to remain a fan favourite. In an interview Diana herself said it was one of her favourites from the Diana Ross 76 album. It was most certainly commercial enough to have been released as a single at the time.
    Favourite line from the song....”You took a part of me as you were passing through”.

It’s one of my favourites the way she sings it is unbelievable

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Such a beautiful, timeless song that seems to remain a fan favourite. In an interview Diana herself said it was one of her favourites from the Diana Ross 76 album. It was most certainly commercial enough to have been released as a single at the time.
    Favourite line from the song....”You took a part of me as you were passing through”.
    She did indeed like this one Ollie.
    I have probably already told this story previously, and i forward my apologies if people have already heard it, but i recall one particular conversation i had with her regarding the Diana Ross76. I told her how that album held a special place in my heart. She said she liked it too but was unhappy with the album title. I asked her for her favourites from the album and she said Mahogany, After You and Smile.
    I said how about I thought it took a little time [[ a particular favourite of mine) and to my dismay she said she could not recall that song.
    I almost fell off my chair with shock. How could she not recall such a beautiful tune which was also briefly a single? She thought i was crazy when i told her of my surprise at her forgetting the song.
    A few weeks later when we were preparing for an interview on UK tv she suddenly looked at me and started singing "Am i really hard to please perhaps i have such special needs". She stopped and awaited my reaction. I didn't know whether to laugh, cry or applaud. I think i may have done all three. She winked at me and said "you are right. It is a beautiful song. How could i forget about it?"
    Lovely memories. I absolutely adored her when she was in a happy place. It more than made up for all the less happy times.
    Getting back on topic After You is an absolute beauty that still sounds stunning today.

this song has been a B side a few times but i always thought it should have been a A side . just a beautiful album and my first Ross album.
    it remains a favorite . i was just listening to it last night

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I have probably already told this story previously, and i forward my apologies if people have already heard it, but i recall one particular conversation i had with her regarding the Diana Ross76. I told her how that album held a special place in my heart. She said she liked it too but was unhappy with the album title. I asked her for her favourites from the album and she said Mahogany, After You and Smile.
    I said how about I thought it took a little time [[ a particular favourite of mine) and to my dismay she said she could not recall that song.
    I almost fell off my chair with shock. How could she not recall such a beautiful tune which was also briefly a single? She thought i was crazy when i told her of my surprise at her forgetting the song.
    A few weeks later when we were preparing for an interview on UK tv she suddenly looked at me and started singing "Am i really hard to please perhaps i have such special needs". She stopped and awaited my reaction. I didn't know whether to laugh, cry or applaud. I think i may have done all three. She winked at me and said "you are right. It is a beautiful song. How could i forget about it?"
    Lovely memories. I absolutely adored her when she was in a happy place. It more than made up for all the less happy times.
    Getting back on topic After You is an absolute beauty that still sounds stunning today.
    I love this story, Bluebrock. ITITALT is also one of my all-time favorites and I wish it had been given an opportunity to grow as a single; I think it would have quite well. It’s interesting to note she was not happy with the LP title. I assume this means the, “creatively entitled Diana Ross,” line Diana used in concert was actually sarcasm regarding a lack of creativity. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    this song has been a B side a few times but i always thought it should have been a A side . just a beautiful album and my first Ross album.
    it remains a favorite . i was just listening to it last night
    I agree. "After You" deserved to be an A side.

A lovely recollection Bluebrock. It’s the poignant lyrics that make “After You” such a special song for me. It should have been the follow up to “Love Hangover”. I think the song has aged slightly bette then “ITITALT”.
    p.s Cher at the BBC just came on the tv. Is the one with Diana still going ahead?.

A lovely recollection Bluebrock. It’s the poignant lyrics that make “After You” such a special song for me. It should have been the follow up to “Love Hangover”. I think the song has aged slightly bette then “ITITALT”.
    p.s Cher at the BBC just came on the tv. Is the one with Diana still going ahead?.
    Yes it is. Tina Turner is next week, and i hope Diana follows that.

My first time hearing this. Thank you so much for retelling this. Why did she not like the album title? Did Motown pick her album titles?

But LMAO @ "she said she could not recall the song"!!!

It is such a story teller this happens to someone every day 🧡 what I’m I gonna do

Quote Originally Posted by JLoveLamar View Post
    My first time hearing this. Thank you so much for retelling this. Why did she not like the album title? Did Motown pick her album titles?

But LMAO @ "she said she could not recall the song"!!!
    The album was called "Diana Ross" which was the exact same title as her debut solo album only 6 years earlier. Motown did pick the album titles.

For me I Thought It Took a Little Time is just an okay record.

But it is interesting that it didn't do very well in the UK [[peaked just outside the top 30) at a time when Diana was still hot after the top 5 Do You Know Where You're Going to and Top 10 Love Hangover.

Of course the Diana Ross 76 album was still hovering around the lower end of the top 20 after some 4 months so maybe the fans didn't feel the need to buy the single.

However this single marked the beginning of a relatively low period in Diana's popularity in the UK until Upside Down brought her right back with a bang.

Did Diana Ross ever indicate what she would have liked the album to have been entitled?

And question for everyone--what would have been a good title for the album?

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    For me I Thought It Took a Little Time is just an okay record.

But it is interesting that it didn't do very well in the UK [[peaked just outside the top 30) at a time when Diana was still hot after the top 5 Do You Know Where You're Going to and Top 10 Love Hangover.

Of course the Diana Ross 76 album was still hovering around the lower end of the top 20 after some 4 months so maybe the fans didn't feel the need to buy the single.

However this single marked the beginning of a relatively low period in Diana's popularity in the UK until Upside Down brought her right back with a bang.
    It seems to divide opinion. Some of us love it whilst others regard as merely okay. It was pushing it somewhat to expect to get 3 top 30 hits from àn album back in 1976 that had already sold quite well
    It did okay all things told. There was no promotion for it. It relied totally on airplay mainly from Tony Blackburn who made it the record of the week on his radio 1 mid morning show.

It seems to divide opinion. Some of us love it whilst others regard as merely okay. It was pushing it somewhat to expect to get 3 top 30 hits from àn album back in 1976 that had already sold quite well
    It did okay all things told. There was no promotion for it. It relied totally on airplay mainly from Tony Blackburn who made it the record of the week on his radio 1 mid morning show.
    I'm a fan of both 'I Thought ...' and 'After You', but to me 'I Thought..." is more of a great LP cut and 'After You' more possibly hit single material. I think the vocal on both is superb but perhaps 'I Thought...' a bit quiet for radio and 'After You' a bit more 'hook-y'.

Yes, certainly a lifetime memory! Diana surely must value your presence.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Did Diana Ross ever indicate what she would have liked the album to have been entitled?

And question for everyone--what would have been a good title for the album?
    Considering that LP’s at that time typically referenced a song title, how about...
    “One Love”

I love this story. Thank you so much for sharing.
    I also love this song and wish it would have been a big hit.

It really is hard to believe that some don’t like I thought it took a little time to fall in love I fell in love the first time it was released it’s pure love and Diana 🧡

I just love ITITALT! Heard it the first time in 1995, when I was 14, and have loved it ever since. It is so much better than the melodramatic Do you know.. and it sounds so much like the Diana we have come to love so much.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Yes, certainly a lifetime memory! Diana surely must value your presence.
    I would like to think she did. She certainly felt comfortable enough to hire me for around 13/14 years.
    I have so many memories. Not all of them happy ones, but the good ones more than made up for that.
    It was a rollercoaster ride. You literally did not know what to expect from day to day. I preferred it that way. I have a low boredom threshold and i thrived on the unpredictability of not knowing what the next day would bring. Tantrums and tears could be followed by hearty laughter and insightful conversation.
    I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Bluebrock what years did you work for her what an honour she is our music Angel 🧡🖤🖤

I think she wanted to called it Love Hangover.
    Great album

After You is one of my favorite Michael Masser songs. I love Diana's heartfelt vocal. But I also love the beautiful instrumental on the Mahogany soundtrack album. It's so poignant and melancholy yet gentle and soothing.

I always thought Diana's vocal on I Thought It Took A Little Time is one of her best interpretive performances ever. It should have been given a chance to be the third hit from Diana Ross 1976. I personally retitled the album Today I Fell In Love.

I included both After You and ITITALT on my playlist of the 25 best Diana Ross vocal performances of her solo career. I think After You could also have been a Pop hit. [[I thought the choice of One Love In My Lifetime as a follow-up single was a mistake).

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    After You is one of my favorite Michael Masser songs. I love Diana's heartfelt vocal. But I also love the beautiful instrumental on the Mahogany soundtrack album. It's so poignant and melancholy yet gentle and soothing.

I always thought Diana's vocal on I Thought It Took A Little Time is one of her best interpretive performances ever. It should have been given a chance to be the third hit from Diana Ross 1976. I personally retitled the album Today I Fell In Love.

I included both After You and ITITALT on my playlist of the 25 best Diana Ross vocal performances of her solo career. I think After You could also have been a Pop hit. [[I thought the choice of One Love In My Lifetime as a follow-up single was a mistake).
    Lucky2012, if you don’t mind my asking, can you share the rest of your top 25 playlist?

Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post
    Bluebrock what years did you work for her what an honour she is our music Angel 李
    1988 through to 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I think she wanted to called it Love Hangover.
    Great album
    That would have been the ideal title in my opinion.

Yes it is. Tina Turner is next week, and i hope Diana follows that.
    Many thanks. I like the fact the performances are interspersed with interviews for additional interest. I’m guessing the episode featuring Diana will be based around her hits....Unfortunately.

Many thanks. I like the fact the performances are interspersed with interviews for additional interest. I’m guessing the episode featuring Diana will be based around her hits....Unfortunately.
    Yes it is. There are segments from her interviews with Russell Harty, Parkinson, Wogan, Clive Anderson and Clive James. I fought like hell to get some lesser known performances included, but they fell on deaf ears, but i am sure you will enjoy it.
    My only beef is it could have been so much better.

i like After You better than I Thought. but i think I Thought was a better single.

After You is a beautiful song but the structure of the song is less defined. IMO songs with more clearly defined verses and choruses tend to fare better with the general public. when being broadcast over the radio, these structured songs just work better. of course that's not an absolute or a requirement. just an observation.

That's part of the magic HDH crafted. very clear stories told through very consistent and clear song structure with catchy hooks and memorable lyrics

If you use that lens to rate these two songs, I Thought fits the mold better

But After You might be the song you picked the needle up off the vinyl and played the song again and again

Excellent track, though the verse is stronger than the chorus.
    Can't stop singing "raining again...".