[REMOVE ADS]

"I'll Be Here [[When You Get Home)"

Been recently giving "Last Time I Saw" expanded some plays - "I'll Be Here [[When You Get Home) produced by Johnny Bristol is such a great track - too good to languish in the vaults for so long [[one of my SDF mantra's !)
    Whoever is doing the background vocals in on fire..

Absolutely one of my fav cuts from the LTISH expanded. Good enough to be a single. The outtakes disc of the EE was largely better than the official album. I created my own version of the album using the outtakes and only a couple of the cuts on the original album.

who WAS in charge of quality control ?? we get "Sleepin" and not this cut !!

Awesome. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    I adore “Sleepin”, just not as a single. There are so many contrasting opinions as to what constitutes a stronger LTISH album that a definitive track listing is hard to envisage lol.
    I think “I’ll Be Here” would have worked well on the EIE album.
    Two songs I definitely would have included on LTISH set are “Part Of You” And “To The Baby”.

It is hard to believe that this song was omitted from the original album. I'd forego Behind Closed Doors in an instant for this song.

it is a strong track and amazing it didn't get selected.

the LTISH album was a bit of a mess. none of the songs are really bad but it's the combination IMO that flops. If they had released To The Baby, then Turn Around works beautifully. but here it's a bit out of place. the Bob Gaudio tracks are strong but they don't really mix well with the more lush songs from Masser and Miller.

Strong performance by Ross that shouldn't have languished in the vaults for so long. The track is the same basic one used by Gladys Knight and The Pips when they recorded it in 1971. For Ross it had either been remixed [and, of course, female background vocals added] or new elements were added when she added her lead vocal at an unknown date [1972? 1973?].

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    For all of the talk about how messed up Supremes releases could be [[and they were), Diana's releases weren't much better. She just had better luck every couple years, scoring a huge hit song. I love "Sleepin". I think it's a fantastic Diana vocal. The track is great, the lyrics are great, the backing vocals are on point. But it wasn't a single kind of song. Had she hit with "Sleepin", that would've definitely been some kind of stroke of luck. On a better album, "Sleepin" would've been classic, nestled among other fantastic tunes. But on a 45? Expecting DJs to play it? It's so dramatic, so sad, the general public did not want it and whomever greenlit this was probably hooked on the same substance as the dude Diana was singing about.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I adore “Sleepin”, just not as a single. There are so many contrasting opinions as to what constitutes a stronger LTISH album that a definitive track listing is hard to envisage lol.
    I think “I’ll Be Here” would have worked well on the EIE album.
    Two songs I definitely would have included on LTISH set are “Part Of You” And “To The Baby”.
    I'm with you on "Sleepin". You lost me with "Part Of You" and "To the Baby". Lol Both of them are good songs- I'm particularly fond of "To the Baby"- but I think all the baby stuff, it they were to be used at all [[I thumbs down the idea of a "baby" album), should have found homes on TMITM. Horrible idea putting "Turn Around" on LTISH. LTISH could've been a classic soul/pop lp, but instead it ended up all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    It is hard to believe that this song was omitted from the original album. I'd forego Behind Closed Doors in an instant for this song.
    With hindsight I'd probably leave "Closed Doors" off, but on it's own I do like it. I love Diana's laidback vocal. She sings it so beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    With hindsight I'd probably leave "Closed Doors" off, but on it's own I do like it. I love Diana's laidback vocal. She sings it so beautifully.
    i wonder if they had held out a little while longer to release Last Time - both single and album. i think we all agree that a 2nd single from TMITM would have been more than welcomed. and the Diana & Marvin releases could have then had their own time in the spotlight. release that and a single or two

Then in summer/fall 74 you release LTISH as a single and then the album could have included some of the tracks we got plus Sorry Doesn't Always, Together, To Love again. now half of the album is Masser. you toss in a couple other songs like Love Me, i'll be here.

Last Time i saw him [[extended, unedited version)
    no one's gonna be a fool
    love me
    sleepin
    you

I'll be here
    together
    sorry doesn't always
    why play games
    to love again
    behind closed doors

Sup, I'll come back with my tracklist. I'm just not a fan of some of those ballads. I do think that some of the cuts would have made for great inclusion on the Mahogany soundtrack, like "To Love Again".

Sup, I'll come back with my tracklist. I'm just not a fan of some of those ballads. I do think that some of the cuts would have made for great inclusion on the Mahogany soundtrack, like "To Love Again".
    Ran - we should gather together some time with a bottle [[or two or three lol) of wine and we could completely recombine the entire Supremes' album lineup lololol

I've done what you've suggested too. like with Reflections, LC, Sunshine and Cream. i sort of took all of the material from those years and then redid what went onto what. you're point about making the Mahogany soundtrack include more vocals would have worked too. and so something like To Love Again could go there. And i would have done To The Baby.

this time i just took the basic tracks of the EE and then the non-album Sorry and Together. I added Why Play Games because the line up was getting ballad-heavy. And i still hadn't included Where Did We Go Wrong, which is another gem that shouldn't have been forgotten about

I'm with you on "Sleepin". You lost me with "Part Of You" and "To the Baby". Lol Both of them are good songs- I'm particularly fond of "To the Baby"- but I think all the baby stuff, it they were to be used at all [[I thumbs down the idea of a "baby" album), should have found homes on TMITM. Horrible idea putting "Turn Around" on LTISH. LTISH could've been a classic soul/pop lp, but instead it ended up all over the place.
    The TMITM album was so good there was simply no room for those two songs on it. I would sooner have had another album similar in style to TMITM then the hodge podge of LTISH.
    Songs such as “Part Of You, “To The Baby” And even “Kewpie Doll” would have given the album a sophisticated cohesive flow. Add to that “Sleepin” and perhaps “Turn Around” And you have a stylish, timeless set that you could sit back and relax to with a glass of something good.
    To my ears “Why Play Games” sounds dated, even for 74.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 05-29-2021 at 05:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    Strong performance by Ross that shouldn't have languished in the vaults for so long. The track is the same basic one used by Gladys Knight and The Pips when they recorded it in 1971. For Ross it had either been remixed [and, of course, female background vocals added] or new elements were added when she added her lead vocal at an unknown date [1972? 1973?].
    Horns and strings were added may 15 1972