[REMOVE ADS]

Another Jeopardy Blunder

Tonight [[Wednesday the 26th) was the third semi-final in their tournament, and the guy in the middle was that very likable teacher from New Mexico. Toward the end of the Double Jeopardy round, he hit a Daily Double when he had about a $2,600-2,800 lead.

There were only a handful of questions left and the smart thing to do would have been to wager a small amount so that he would have a better chance of still being ahead going into Final Jeopardy. Instead he wagered $5,000, missed the question, and instantly that put him about $3,000 or so behind.

He never recovered and the lady who had been trailing him ended up winning. If he had made the smaller, more sensible wager, he might have been able to maintain the lead and win the game, since they each got the final answer correct.

Yes, I liked that guy, too. The guy on the far right was simply too quick on the trigger when he didn´t know the answer. He did it way too often, before he was even sure about the answer. Champions don´t do that. They know when not to buzz in.

Totally agree about his likeability and his blunder. It was disappointing, I was rooting for him.

June 1: Nobody knew who Gordie Howe was? No idea. Do you have to be a Detroiter
    to know that? I´m ¨just a girl¨ and I knew. However, I´ve seen a few Redwing games back at Olympia Stadium.

Jeopardy! Executive producer Mike Richards will host the daily syndicated program, while actor Mayim Bialik will host the primetime series and new spinoffs.

Not happy. While the two were good, they were not my favorites. I had several others. Very disappointed.

Last edited by 9A; 08-12-2021 at 08:00 AM.

Let's be fair...that is probably a difficult job and you would think getting tongue-tied would be a major issue. Maybe it is and they just went back and replayed clues when that happened.

Anyway, although some were better than others, I don't think anybody did a bad job. Mayim at least brought some personality to it and seemed to genuinely enjoy it, whereas Mike seemed to be the most natural for it.

They were all very good. I was just rooting for other favorites. We´ll
    get used to them in time, I´m sure.

While I’m disappointed LaVar Burton didn’t get the job, It’s somewhat understandable. He’s in his early sixties and I’m sure they wanted to hire someone who could helm the show for at least 25 years. I personally think Mike Richards did a great job during his guest hosting stint and I feel he’ll be a great successor. People seem to forget that Alex Trebek wasn’t welcomed with open arms either when he started hosting Jeopardy in the 80s.

Welp…talk about “Jeopardy!” blunders…fired on his day off!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...own/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    While I’m disappointed LaVar Burton didn’t get the job, It’s somewhat understandable. He’s in his early sixties and I’m sure they wanted to hire someone who could helm the show for at least 25 years. I personally think Mike Richards did a great job during his guest hosting stint and I feel he’ll be a great successor. People seem to forget that Alex Trebek wasn’t welcomed with open arms either when he started hosting Jeopardy in the 80s.

Having watched some early, early episodes of Jeopardy this week, I don't think Mike Richards holds a candle to Alex Trebek in charisma or intelligence. Furthermore, it is still suspicious that Richards was the executive producer of the show.

So what if LaVar Burton is in his early sixties? Trebek was 80 when he departed as the legendary host. He would still keep on going well into his 80s if he could have. He was ageless.

Quote Originally Posted by 9A View Post
    Having watched some early, early episodes of Jeopardy this week, I don't think Mike Richards holds a candle to Alex Trebek in charisma or intelligence. Furthermore, it is still suspicious that Richards was the executive producer of the show.

So what if LaVar Burton is in his early sixties? Trebek was 80 when he departed as the legendary host. He would still keep on going well into his 80s if he could have. He was ageless.
    The fact that Richards basically tabbed himself was so irksome. We should all have the privilege of being fired for cause before being hired to another great gig and allowed to conduct a highly visible search before tabbing... ourselves as the best available candidate.

I was ready to stop watching Jeopardy until it was announced that he was bound for happy trails.

It is amusing how much of the esoteric information presented has been
    referenced in a Google Doodle of yore. If only I could remember more ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    The fact that Richards basically tabbed himself was so irksome. We should all have the privilege of being fired for cause before being hired to another great gig and allowed to conduct a highly visible search before tabbing... ourselves as the best available candidate.

When Richards picked himself for the job, it reminded me of Dick Cheney. In 2000, Presumptive Presidential Nominee George W Bush asked Cheney to recommend a Vice Presidential Nominee to him. After an exhaustive and public search for a nominee, Cheney recommended himself for the job of Vice President

I never cared for Dick Cheney and his self-enriching tendencies, but I have to say that they raised their daughter Liz with a sense of decency, so refreshing to see among the
    current Republicans in office.

Does anyone remember the original Jeopardy with Art Fleming?

This is the debut of the show from 1964

I remember Art Flemming on many things, but not on Jeopardy. Wow! That was set up like a panel show. And people rang in during the reading of the "answer."

Mike Richards who named himself new host of the show and then had to step down, now has also exited as executive producer. Don't know if he jumped or was pushed. But with all the drama going on there, he probably was pushed for the sake of the show

I wouldn't worry too much about him. Guys like him always find other guys like him to give them another shot. He'll quietly wind up in a better job than the one he lost {porducer, not host}.

I don't have a dog in this fight other than being a fan of the show, but Mike Richards stated more than one place that he did not have any input into the selection and that he did not hire himself for the position. I personally thought he did a great job during his time on the show but then again, so did several other fill-ins.

He's ba-a-ack!!! Hope this isn't a trend.

[Is it just me or does Mike Richards have a slight lisp on words that begin with an "S?"]

Loving the current big winner Matt Amadio. He's amazing.
    Last edited by 9A; 09-14-2021 at 09:53 AM.

I read today that Mike will be on the rest of this week, which is all he taped before his resignation/firing. Mayim Bialik will then be on the next three weeks, followed by more guest hosts. So I would say we are no closer to a permanent host than we have ever been.

I hope they give Alex Faust and Laura Coates [[the two people Alex REALLY wanted to succeed him) a week or two to host the show.