[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: LGBT Motown!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    "I Was Born This Way" was first released by Valentino, also on Motown, on its sub-label Gaiee [[very subtle), in 1975.

Yes! That’s right. I’m way more familiar with the Carl Bean version, and I believe Carl was a bishop who was gay, so the song must have very much spoken to him!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 05-31-2021 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    In 1976, MGM released the movie "Norman...Is That You?", based on the Broadway play by Ron Clark & Sam Bobrick. It included "An Old Fashioned Man" by Smokey Robinson [Tamla 54276] and "One Out of Every Six" by Thelma Houston [Tamla 54275].
    That’s interesting!! I did not know about that.

Gets confusing then? According to Discogs, Carl Bean had a go on Motown in 1977. Later around 1985, tried again on Next Plateau. I always thought it was a West End release. I've got it on several cd compilations but never tried to find a 12" because to be honest I don't think it's that good a groove. Vocals sound really uplifting and in your face, just not connecting with my feet. I've found an edit on Youtube but not clever enough to inbed the images!

Carl Bean - I Was Born This Way - Motown Uk: TMG 1108 DJ - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Yes! That’s right. I’m way more familiar with the Carl Bean version, and I believe Carl was a bishop who was gay, so the song must have very much spoken to him!
    Bishop Bean is still active in his church and the gay community.

Apologies if this is not a good fit for this thread, but in doing Google searches on Motown, I'd come across various pages about the famous Stonewall Inn in New York and quite a few things about how popular the music of Motown was on the Stonewall Jukebox. An interesting post had to do with some of the songs that were "banned" at the Stonewall, not just Motown, but funnily enough, the Four Tops' "What Is A Man" was one such song! [[it was considered such a non-Motown song, and just a bad song all around!) https://www.stonewallvets.org/songsofStonewall-2.htm

So again, if this doesn't fit the subject line, apologies, but it might make for an interesting thread all its own.

I have many straight friends who have accompanied me to gay bars, doesn't mean that they are gay. I go to straight bars but I ain't straight so it means nothing if Jackie Wilson was seen in a gay bar!

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    I have many straight friends who have accompanied me to gay bars, doesn't mean that they are gay. I go to straight bars but I ain't straight so it means nothing if Jackie Wilson was seen in a gay bar!
    I was thinking the same thing...

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Thank you, my friend Ms. Roberta. You have a keen, kindly and Godly way of stating these facts. I hope you are well.
    Bless you for your lovely words dear. Hugs to you. ❤️

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Apologies if this is not a good fit for this thread, but in doing Google searches on Motown, I'd come across various pages about the famous Stonewall Inn in New York and quite a few things about how popular the music of Motown was on the Stonewall Jukebox. An interesting post had to do with some of the songs that were "banned" at the Stonewall, not just Motown, but funnily enough, the Four Tops' "What Is A Man" was one such song! [[it was considered such a non-Motown song, and just a bad song all around!) https://www.stonewallvets.org/songsofStonewall-2.htm

So again, if this doesn't fit the subject line, apologies, but it might make for an interesting thread all its own.
    That’s awesome WW!! They had a great jukebox

...surprised we haven't featured the most famous 'Gay' person at Motown ...Marvin Gay ...well ...at least until he changed his surname after a release or two...!

Name:  Gay 1.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  90.7 KB

Grape