[REMOVE ADS]

Need Help Getting Started with Discogs

Hi Guys:

As discussed recently, I am considering selling some items on Discogs. So far I had only been studying items for sale [[looking at the site just as a visitor) so I could get a handle on how the site works. Finally I started today to register and get started with selling some things, but my goodness, it looks soooooooo complicated to even register.

First of all, they tell me that I have to have a "verified" Paypal account. Well like everybody, I HAVE a Paypal account but what does "verified" mean? I attempted to research that question on the Paypal website and it looks like that means that I have to link it to a bank account. Does that sound logical?

They [[Paypal) made it sound as if they had to make small temporary deposits into my account and then withdraw them immediately. Then I have to somehow document that they did that. Have any of you gone through a process such as that?

If anyone can help explain all of this I will be very grateful. Life was so much easier back in the day when you could call up a real person and ask questions, but right now I am about ready to forget the whole idea and just hang on to all my stuff!!!

In other words, HELP!!!!!

Hi David, I’ve never sold anything on Discogs, but I too had to "verify" my PayPal account recently.

I believe there is a limit on how much money you can spend through PayPal before you have to "verify" your account [[I think it is £1000). But I guess they also need verification if you’re going to use your PayPal account to sell stuff.

To verify mine, I had to put in my debit card, and they then charged me £1.00. I then had to look on my online bank statement for this charge, and copy a part of the transaction number. I then pasted this number back into the PayPal verification screen, and my account was verified. They then refunded me the £1.00 back.

I hope this helps!!!!

Thanks. I don't do online banking, so that has complicated things a bit. I got a message from Paypal today telling me that they sent two small credits to my bank account, and then immediately canceled them, just so the activity would show up. As soon as I can get to my bank and pick up a printed statement, if that activity is on there, I should be able to continue the process of verifying myself.

Ah I see! Yeah, I imagine verifying it with paper bank statements would be more complicated. I hope it gets done quickly for you!

Hope you get it sorted, I have been using for years, obtained so much material no longer available, and at great prices, never been let down once.

David, persevere! The paypal mechanism works very well and is the safest and I believe only widely available way of protecting both buyer and seller with a trusted system.You will find sales easily achieved provided your pricing is realistic when compared with other sellers. $1400 sales over the last ten weeks for me.

Mike

Thanks again guys. I am looking forward to using Discogs. In fact I have been going through my CDs [[haven't even thought much about my LPs yet!) and I have been astounded at the prices some things have sold for.

Well I guess I am up and running! Time will tell! As soon as I made it through the Paypal process, meaning the verification of the two tiny deposits, it was a piece of cake. Placing an item for sale almost seems TOO easy, so I am almost worried that I might be doing something wrong!!!

David, what's your handle on Discogs? I'd love to see what you have to offer.

Funny you should mention that. I was planning to call myself ddsdiscs, but it turned out they already have one of those, so I had to add "va" to it, for Virginia. So I am ddsdiscsva. Don't get too excited because so far I have only had time to post a dozen or so items. But now that I know how easy it is, I hope to spend a great deal of time on it and pretty much make it my retirement hobby. Thanks again to everyone for your help and support.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Funny you should mention that. I was planning to call myself ddsdiscs, but it turned out they already have one of those, so I had to add "va" to it, for Virginia. So I am ddsdiscsva. Don't get too excited because so far I have only had time to post a dozen or so items. But now that I know how easy it is, I hope to spend a great deal of time on it and pretty much make it my retirement hobby. Thanks again to everyone for your help and support.
    Nice! Be checking soon!