[REMOVE ADS]

Jones Girls "Unsung" ; how Ross opened doors

Last night I watched this program about the origins of this group and it included an interesting segment on how the ladies auditioned for Gil Askey. When "all of a sudden a door opened and in walked Diana asking if we could get our passports because we're going to London! ". Some pics were included with Ross that I'd never seen before.

I watched it too. They were auditioning to be Diana's back up singers for concerts. I saw them perform with her - I think - at Radio City Music Hall.

Diana said they were too good to be back up singers

Didn't Diana also encourage them not to sign with Motown?

I just finished watching the program. I was a bit surprised that so little time was given to their time with Diana. After all, they were with her for two years and performed with her when she made her Broadway debut. That said, I understand why. They had more than enough of their own story without concentrating on the Diana years.

This was a very good season for UNSUNG. When I first saw the artist line-up, I wasn't pleased. But I must say that each episode was very well done and kept my interest.

Some of us could not get that channel, so please let us know if it gets posted on Youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Is this true?

Not sure if Ross actually discouraged them to sign with Motown, but she clearly must have thought that Philly must have been a better fit for them as she allegedly invited Gamble and Huff to her show so they could see The Jones Girls on stage, and the rest is history.

The Jones Girls had perhaps the tightest harmonies of all girl groups. The only other group i can think of with such heavenly harmonies is The Emotions.
    There are no better harmonies than sibling harmonies.
    What happened to these girls was tragic. One girl takes centre stage and all hell breaks loose.
    So much is made of the turmoil within the Supremes, but it is an all too common trait in female vocal groups. Think of Sister Sledge, The Three Degrees and En Vogue to name but three.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    Not sure if Ross actually discouraged them to sign with Motown, but she clearly must have thought that Philly must have been a better fit for them as she allegedly invited Gamble and Huff to her show so they could see The Jones Girls on stage, and the rest is history.
    There was a fairly recent interview with Shirley where she said something about Diana not wanting them to go to Motown but I don't remember the reasons.

In the UNSUNG interview, Kenny Gamble said that Diana contacted him and said he should come see her backup singers, the Jones Girls.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    This is an old thread that contains some of Shirley's comments regarding that.

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...=shirley+jones

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    This is an old thread that contains some of Shirley's comments regarding that.

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...=shirley+jones
    Yes, this is the thread that I remember. Thanks for providing the link.

I wish someone knew all the songs that the Jones Girls sing background on for Diana. I can pick out their harmony on "You Were The One".