[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Holy bejezessess this topic is tired. Nay, exhausted. Dried up. Shriveled. Peeps been talking about Flo's finances for going on 6 decades. If only the lady's contributions to American popular culture could be remembered in place of her finances and housekeeping habits. But ... MAGA!! I guess ... Bonus points to anyone who can logically explain why nobody shivs a git about James Jamerson's finances but obsession over those of Florence Ballard continue.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 05-25-2021 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Holy bejezessess this topic is tired. Nay, exhausted. Dried up. Shriveled. Peeps been talking about Flo's finances for going on 6 decades. If only the lady's contributions to American popular culture could be remembered in place of her finances and housekeeping habits. But ... MAGA!! I guess ... Bonus points to anyone who can logically explain why nobody shivs a git about James Jamerson's finances but obsession over those of Florence Ballard continue.
    Erm......because this is a forum about Diana Ross & Supremes.
    I personally have enjoyed reading the various posts on this thread, learning a few things i had not previously been unaware of.
    Shock new.......It’s not all about ‘YOU’.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I'll agree; after the superstardom, it is a shame that Flo lost her house. Maybe Diana or Berry should have helped her with the mortgage. But then what? Was Flo going to get a job to pay the utilities? Flo's story sadly happens to millions. You buy a house; your financial situation changes or the market crashes, and you lose it.

What's more interesting to me is HOW MANY Motown stars were on hard times after leaving the label. Is Flo losing her house much different than having a fundraiser for Mary Wells to pay her medical Bill's? Or a fan having to pay James Jamerson's ticket into Motown 25? Or Sandra Tilley laying in an unmarked grave? And the list goes on?
    I think the counter question has to be why do any of those things need to be compared? Florence losing her house after everything she had done for music, and specifically everything she had done for Motown, was a travesty. Mary Wells was diagnosed with cancer and unable to pay all of her medical bills. After everything she did for Motown, even if you only focus on "My Guy", she should never have needed anyone to step in and do a damn thing. But to their credit, Diana as well, Motown came through for the first queen of the label. James Jamerson not even being invited to Motown 25 after being a significant part of why the world fell in love with the phenomenon that was the Motown Sound, is criminal. While Sandra Tilley's contribution to Motown may not be comparable to that of the previous three people you spotlighted, I think for what she did, no, she should never have been in an unmarked grave. And if that's still the case, shame on anyone connected with Motown who knows that and has not done anything about it, including Martha Reeves.

What was it that Rev. Franklin said during Flo's eulogy? Something about in this life we sometimes have troubles, or something like that. We all do. Every single one of us. Some troubles are easier to overcome, while others knock us down. Flo got knocked down for awhile there. There was nothing anyone connected to Motown could've done for Flo's mental issues, but having one third of the most famous female singing group of the 1960s losing her home and bunking up with others for any period of time is just something that should've never happened. Never. There shouldn't be anything wrong with us pointing this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Erm......because this is a forum about Diana Ross & Supremes.
    I personally have enjoyed reading the various posts on this thread, learning a few things i had not previously been unaware of.
    Shock new.......It’s not all about ‘YOU’.
    That Cryptkeeper muthafucka is always trolling. I swear I don't ever want to get that old and be that bored and unloved and unliked that I sit up on an internet forum trolling threads I apparently have no real interest in. Ollie if you're still around when I'm that old, and I resort to this nonsense, you have my permission to track me down and put me out of my misery. Please, put me out of my misery.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    That Cryptkeeper muthafucka is always trolling. I swear I don't ever want to get that old and be that bored and unloved and unliked that I sit up on an internet forum trolling threads I apparently have no real interest in. Ollie if you're still around when I'm that old, and I resort to this nonsense, you have my permission to track me down and put me out of my misery. Please, put me out of my misery.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. I agreed with Ollie's post and I agree with yours! It's always negativity and dismissal coming from that poster and it gets really tiresome to have to slog past their posts. Where's that ignore button...?

This is the worst type of participation amongst a public forum , name calling and attacking a poster personally going so far as calling them unloved....unbelievable . Hate to break it to you , but whatever age you thinks qualifies as 'troll' age , you're there.

If I were you , I'd take a breath, come to my senses and delete that post ...but that's just me.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-26-2021 at 01:09 PM. Reason: changed it to first person, realized

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. I agreed with Ollie's post and I agree with yours! It's always negativity and dismissal coming from that poster and it gets really tiresome to have to slog past their posts. Where's that ignore button...?
    I know. My problem is that I long ago put this nut on ignore, but when people quote him, I find myself reading, both for context and because I'm a glutton for punishment. But this is getting ridiculous. Why would anyone want to control what people talk about in this great big ole forum? Don't like a topic, start a new one. I did three about the music yesterday because this one was getting a lot of traffic and it's always so easy for the forum to go left when sensitive subjects such as this come up. The ironic screenname wants people to stop talking about Flo's finances and instead focus on her contribution to music, but didn't make one comment in the other threads about Flo's music. So what's really going on?

Troll.

Classic Anti-MAGA I guess....think like I do, or shut up !!

As far as Jamerson , if someone produces a magazine cover showing him in front of his boarded up house begging for help , yes I bet there'd be a thread about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Classic Anti-MAGA I guess....think like I do, or shut up !!
    I'm not sure what MAGA or Anti-MAGA has to do with a Motown or Supremes forum here. Politics weren't part of this conversation--and shouldn't be.

That said, I think the point being made was that the poster in question didn't come in and say, "I disagree about [point X] regarding Flo's home on Buena Vista..." or even so far as saying, "I'm not sure whether we should be taking this discussion in [direction Y] because..." Nothing was added to the conversation. Instead, this poster decided to basically belittle everyone participating in the conversation and act as though there haven't been hundreds [if not more] of threads here over the years about what Florence's contribution to popular music has been. How is that constructively participatory?

As RanRan basically said, if reading threads on the forum and one doesn't feel any specific one is worth their time to participate in it, don't. Another option is to create a new thread to talk about something they would like to discuss.

The poster themselves made a post here that was a perfect example of "think like I do, or shut up !!" and yet politics was brought into it and all the others were basically labeled as "Anti-MAGA" and espousing the opinion of "think like I do, or shut up !!" So, I guess that means "think like I do, or shut up !!" applies to the what the poster said as well.

Bottom line: if you don't think something should be discussed as you feel it's an overworked topic, then don't participate in the discussion.

There's nothing worse when someone in a forum tries to tell the other members what is and what isn't relevant. Most topics, especially Supremes related, have gone under a microscope for the past 20 years [[or however long there has been internet).

If that's the case, EVERY topic is tired. Yet, we'll still be discussing Motown 25, RTL, and how many beads were missing from Jean's dress on the "Right On" cover for the next 20 years.

I'm not sure what MAGA or Anti-MAGA has to do with a Motown or Supremes forum here. Politics weren't part of this conversation--and shouldn't be.

That said, I think the point being made was that the poster in question didn't come in and say, "I disagree about [point X] regarding Flo's home on Buena Vista..." or even so far as saying, "I'm not sure whether we should be taking this discussion in [direction Y] because..." Nothing was added to the conversation. Instead, this poster decided to basically belittle everyone participating in the conversation and act as though there haven't been hundreds [if not more] of threads here over the years about what Florence's contribution to popular music has been. How is that constructively participatory?

As RanRan basically said, if reading threads on the forum and one doesn't feel any specific one is worth their time to participate in it, don't. Another option is to create a new thread to talk about something they would like to discuss.

The poster themselves made a post here that was a perfect example of "think like I do, or shut up !!" and yet politics was brought into it and all the others were basically labeled as "Anti-MAGA" and espousing the opinion of "think like I do, or shut up !!" So, I guess that means "think like I do, or shut up !!" applies to the what the poster said as well.

Bottom line: if you don't think something should be discussed as you feel it's an overworked topic, then don't participate in the discussion.
    Hi Dan Man, and as you seem to be commenting on my posts I wish to reply accordingly. Firstly, in a classic forum anyone is free to comment on a topic regardless of whether they think the topic is worthy of discussion or not. Next, the reason I have chosen to post on the topic is simply to try to circumvent at least some of the negative myth around Florence's life that some of us are so persistent in maintaining. Much as the MAGA voters here in the US have chosen to continue a Big Lie about the 2020 election results there is a cadre of ghouls who seem determined to continue a myth about Tragic Florence. In our internet age, anything posted on the internet is pretty much taken for fact, and is additionally preserved pretty much forever. So there are younger viewers of forums such as this who latch onto the hagiography of Tragic Florence and ignore the lady's inestimable contribution to American popular culture, as well as her apparent effectiveness as a mother as evident in the successful and productive lives of her children. So, in closing, each of us has a choice. Remember the positive aspects of the life of Florence Ballard, or obsess over her housekeeping skills and financial mishaps. Best to you!

There's nothing worse when someone in a forum tries to tell the other members what is and what isn't relevant. Most topics, especially Supremes related, have gone under a microscope for the past 20 years [[or however long there has been internet).

If that's the case, EVERY topic is tired. Yet, we'll still be discussing Motown 25, RTL, and how many beads were missing from Jean's dress on the "Right On" cover for the next 20 years.
    Some people just feel the need to control the thoughts of others. Either that, or the purpose of the post was to garner these responses because Trolls are gonna troll. I hope most of those who have participated in the thread thus far don't stop. One monkey shouldn't stop the show.

What year did Flo lose the house and have to move out? I ask because vandalism as well as fires began to amp up in Detroit in the early 70s on Devil's Night, the night before Halloween. Maybe the house was boarded up and the awning ripped because it was the target of vandalism due to being empty?

Quote Originally Posted by spreadinglove21 View Post
    what year did flo lose the house and have to move out? I ask because vandalism as well as fires began to amp up in detroit in the early 70s on devil's night, the night before halloween. Maybe the house was boarded up and the awning ripped because it was the target of vandalism due to being empty?
    i would say it ws 1974 - 1975

Some people just feel the need to control the thoughts of others. Either that, or the purpose of the post was to garner these responses because Trolls are gonna troll. I hope most of those who have participated in the thread thus far don't stop. One monkey shouldn't stop the show.
    I agree, this happens frequently with this particular member. So often I have been enjoying a thread only for it to be derailed by thinly disguised, sneering comments or other members being labelled haters. It’s all to do with control.
    We don’t always agree with one another, but this brand of sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

Flo definitely tried a couple of times to get back on her feet but she kept getting pulled back down by her own demons sometimes. There was a lady on Buena Vista by this time that was living in Mary Wilson's home who tried to help as well. I think her name was Maye. She did a few appearances and a few shows but it was hard to get back where she was.

I agree sneaking in politics into topics that aren't about that just dilutes the actual topic at hand. To ignore it just perpetuates it however.

I'm having trouble following your post as you seem to be speaking about members instead of to them although you quoted specifically my post.

Danman , if I'm following, it looks as though I may have posted in a way that you are misreading my comment to mean that I am saying - think like I do or shut up. I need to clear that up , I would never say that, as I am a free-thinker and I get that way by encouraging various points of views to reflect upon, not by shutting them down.

Let me try to correct it,
    Classic Anti-MAGA I guess: "think like I do, or shut up !!" --- : That's the way the 'tolerant' cancel/ignore crowd handles it. Peace didn't want to explore the topic any more , so therefore neither should you , iow, just shut up about it!

Otherwise danman , we agree, except the expressing of your view by cheering on RanRan's verbal abuse towards another member.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-28-2021 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Flo definitely tried a couple of times to get back on her feet but she kept getting pulled back down by her own demons sometimes. There was a lady on Buena Vista by this time that was living in Mary Wilson's home who tried to help as well. I think her name was Maye. She did a few appearances and a few shows but it was hard to get back where she was.
    You're thinking of Maye Atkins--Cholly's wife--and they lived in the other side of Mary's Detroit duplex [or maybe they lived in Mary's side as she mainly lived in Los Angeles at that point?] that was down the street from Florence's house.

Cholly and Maye lived in the other side of Mary’s duplex until they moved to Las Vegas sometime in 75. Mary’s mom moved in on Mary’s side when Mary moved to LA.
    You're thinking of Maye Atkins--Cholly's wife--and they lived in the other side of Mary's Detroit duplex [or maybe they lived in Mary's side as she mainly lived in Los Angeles at that point?] that was down the street from Florence's house.

Yes, thank you,,,, that is actually who I was thinking of. Maye was instrumental in getting the story in Jet for Flo. I mean this in the most sincere way , a lot of folks loved Flo but we needed Flo to help pull herself up too. Sometimes that is so hard when you are being kicked so many times.

I know it was tough but to be honest no one thought she would die. Everyone was just hoping she would rise up or snap out of it.

That's HYSTERICAL!!! Thanks for the laugh marybrewster!

I know someone asked if there were was another mortgage taken out on her home and possibly could not pay it. In 1970 Flo transferred a property deed to Lois Ballard, which I know at the time was her sister in law. Possibly a loan or something

Oh dear!! Another post for you to disapprove of.

Does anyone know the actually addresses of Flo, Mary and Diana's homes on Buena Vista? I'd like to look them up on google maps

Diana's house is at 3762, Florence's house is at 3767 and Mary's house is at 4099 Buena Vista.

imagine being in the Supremes orbit at the time [[wether as a friend,co worker)that the three ladies owned a house on the same street..Ive heard Mary and Flo were both very social and had many get togethers and parties..[[Diana not so much)..it would have been a blast hanging with the group at a neighbourhood get together..with Cholly, A Temptation,Gordy sister or Four Top in attendance..the smart cadillacs all lined up on the drive ways..music food and laughter..

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    imagine being in the Supremes orbit at the time [[wether as a friend,co worker)that the three ladies owned a house on the same street..Ive heard Mary and Flo were both very social and had many get togethers and parties..[[Diana not so much)..it would have been a blast hanging with the group at a neighbourhood get together..with Cholly, A Temptation,Gordy sister or Four Top in attendance..the smart cadillacs all lined up on the drive ways..music food and laughter..
    I’m not sure I could handle the conundrum of what to wear nomis.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Diana's house is at 3762, Florence's house is at 3767 and Mary's house is at 4099 Buena Vista.
    It's nice to see the houses looking good on current realtor listings -

Correct. It's said that Florence had a mini nightclub set up in her basement. It's well-established that Diana was less into the party life and more focused on recording, with background vocals frequently provided by singers other than Mary and Florence. But, as George Solomon related in his notes to the Ultimate Merry Christmas set, that's always a contentious issue and I guess we'll never know for sure who sang on what for every song.

It's nice to see the houses looking good on current realtor listings -
    One of the latest photos I saw of Flo's home...it may have been on Google Street view...there were some holes/tears in the green awnings. When I drove by it just under 10 years ago, it looked great and well maintained from the outside, along with Diana and Mary's former homes. Sadly, I can't say the same for some of the other homes on that street.

Funny enough, there was a 'fan' who posted a link to their own Go Fund Me online fundraising page in one of the Flo groups on Facebook a few days ago. This person claimed that they had recently bought her former home and stated that it is in dire need of major repairs and renovations due to ongoing leaks and water damage all throughout the home. They provided a few photos of the supposed damage. They were asking fans for a monetary handout, and in exchange, they claimed that the home could be restored to its former glory and potentially become a museum or fan gathering spot. The whole thing seemed very fishy and likely a scam. I called them out on it and the link was removed. So I do not know whether their claims regarding interior damage is true or not, but it does seem it was indeed recently sold to a new owner this past summer. If they did a YouTube video, touring the home, I would find their story more believable, but I still wouldn't donate. I basically said that Flo is no longer with us and neither she, nor her family, have had a connection to this house for decades...let her rest in peace. I'm so sick of all of these sketchy people coming out of the woodwork, making false claims and trying to garner their own money and fame off of Flo.

If I were to donate to anything in relation to her memory or legacy, it would be helping to secure her a better headstone marker. This was something I had looked into some years ago and the cemetery had presented some options, including an engraved cement tribute bench, but I ended up abandoning the idea. Just too many complications, the biggest one being the potential for vandalism. When I last visited, someone had cut a giant hole in one of the chain link fences.
    Last edited by carlo; 10-28-2021 at 12:34 PM.

That's something I wonder about. I have to imagine the neighborhood youngsters used to get a kick out of seeing the Supremes come and go, along with various other Motown stars. And not just Motown stars but other Detroit stars or famous people who befriended the Supremes and visited their homes. These are the kinds of recollections I love and wish were better documented.

One of the latest photos I saw of Flo's home...it may have been on Google Street view...there were some holes/tears in the green awnings. When I drove by it just under 10 years ago, it looked great and well maintained from the outside, along with Diana and Mary's former homes. Sadly, I can't say the same for some of the other homes on that street.

Funny enough, there was a 'fan' who posted a link to their own Go Fund Me online fundraising page in one of the Flo groups on Facebook a few days ago. This person claimed that they had recently bought her former home and stated that it is in dire need of major repairs and renovations due to ongoing leaks and water damage all throughout the home. They provided a few photos of the supposed damage. They were asking fans for a monetary handout, and in exchange, they claimed that the home could be restored to its former glory and potentially become a museum or fan gathering spot. The whole thing seemed very fishy and likely a scam. I called them out on it and the link was removed. So I do not know whether their claims regarding interior damage is true or not, but it does seem it was indeed recently sold to a new owner this past summer. If they did a YouTube video, touring the home, I would find their story more believable, but I still wouldn't donate. I basically said that Flo is no longer with us and neither she, nor her family, have had a connection to this house for decades...let her rest in peace. I'm so sick of all of these sketchy people coming out of the woodwork, making false claims and trying to garner their own money and fame off of Flo.

If I were to donate to anything in relation to her memory or legacy, it would be helping to secure her a better headstone marker. This was something I had looked into some years ago and the cemetery had presented some options, including an engraved cement tribute bench, but I ended up abandoning the idea. Just too many complications, the biggest one being the potential for vandalism. When I last visited, someone had cut a giant hole in one of the chain link fences.
    The scammers are something else. But Carlo I wonder if it would be a good idea to turn not just Flo's old home into a museum, but also that of Diana and Mary. I'm not sure how much time has to pass by, but it would be interesting if the houses ended up on the historic register. Obviously the Supremes are represented at the Hitsville museum and other archives across the country, including, if I'm not mistaken, the African American museum in DC. But they deserve their own repository as far as I'm concerned, and what other location exists that is tied to the group [[other than Hitsville) than the homes they originally purchased? I wonder if Flo's daughters would get behind something like this. Mary probably certainly would have. Maybe Diana too. Just some thoughts.

That's a nice idea, Carlo, and I would be on board for it. A scholarship would be great as well. Admittedly the pictures I found were quickie Google-image sorts of things so the details were not readily visible.

I'm hope this is not a strange question to ask, but, are there any photos of the inside of Ms. Ballards home either past photos or recent? I've only seen various photos of her living room, but I've always been curious about what the home looked like as a whole. It appeared to be very beautifully furnished.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I’m not sure I could handle the conundrum of what to wear nomis.
    Or imagine trying to decide which records to play? And in what order?

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy1968 View Post
    I'm hope this is not a strange question to ask, but, are there any photos of the inside of Ms. Ballards home either past photos or recent? I've only seen various photos of her living room, but I've always been curious about what the home looked like as a whole. It appeared to be very beautifully furnished.
    The living room seems to have been the most publicly photographed, but I've seen a couple of photos of Flo's bedroom. And there's a couple of fairly well known photos of the Supremes and Florence's family taken in Flo's basement.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Or imagine trying to decide which records to play? And in what order?
    Oh yeah, like anyone believes your arm would have to be twisted to play Supremes A Go Go before anything else.

How long did each of the Supremes actually live in their home? I believe Mary shared half of her home with Cholly and Mae. Diana moved her Mom in, and it's said she gutted a few rooms to build a large walk in closet? But when did they sell? It sounds like Flo lived in hers the longest?

And didn't Flo end up with a smaller, more modest home?

Oh yeah, like anyone believes your arm would have to be twisted to play Supremes A Go Go before anything else.
    I mean... I have to pretend there are other records!

How long did each of the Supremes actually live in their home? I believe Mary shared half of her home with Cholly and Mae. Diana moved her Mom in, and it's said she gutted a few rooms to build a large walk in closet? But when did they sell? It sounds like Flo lived in hers the longest?

And didn't Flo end up with a smaller, more modest home?
    I assume Diana left her home when she moved to California in 1970. In her EBONY cover story that year, it showed photos taken in her first temporary California home before she moved to Beverly Hills. As far as when she sold the Detroit home, I thought someone posted that she still had some family members living in the house. I don't know for sure.

I believe Mary moved to California in 1968. She wrote finalizing some of the details of her upcoming move was one of the factors that led to her not being on LOVE CHILD. In her second book, Mary wrote briefly about selling her two Detroit homes. I think it was sometime in the mid-70s but I don't have the book in front of me.
    Last edited by reese; 10-28-2021 at 07:42 PM.

I never believed the publicity hokum Motown put out at the time that the ladies just "Happened" to each choose a house on the same street.[[without each other knowing)..I suspect Motown picked the houses for them
    As Mary said so many times Motown used to "take care of everything" in their lives.. i think it includes the purchase of their homes at this period..
    Last edited by nomis; 10-28-2021 at 08:15 PM.

I never believed the publicity hokum Motown put out at the time that the ladies just "Happened" to each choose a house on the same street.[[without each other knowing)..I suspect Motown picked the houses for them
    As Mary said so many times Motown used to "take care of everything" i think it includes the purchase of their homes at this period..
    Mary says someone's girlfriend searched for houses. When the Supremes returned from a tour they were presented with the choices and it was after choosing that they discovered they had all purchased homes on the same street. I believe the story. Motown did a lot of messed up things where the Supremes were concerned, but even I can't believe that the Supremes would come back from a tour and be told "Oh, by the way, Motown bought houses for you all. All you have to do is move in." In particular I find it hard to believe that Flo and Diana would've been cool with Motown making that kind of choice for them.

Also I have to wonder how much of a variety of homes could the ladies have been presented with. This was still Detroit mid 1960s and there were neighborhoods that were even off limits to the Supremes. I imagine there might not have been a ton of Supreme worthy options, and it just so happened that the ladies all chose homes on the same street because the houses best suited their needs. Flo had a ton of family she planned to move into hers. Diana's mother still had school aged children at home. And not only did Mary buy a duplex for herself, which she rented out the other half to Cholly, but she purchased a separate house for her mother somewhere else.

Mary says someone's girlfriend searched for houses. When the Supremes returned from a tour they were presented with the choices and it was after choosing that they discovered they had all purchased homes on the same street. I believe the story. Motown did a lot of messed up things where the Supremes were concerned, but even I can't believe that the Supremes would come back from a tour and be told "Oh, by the way, Motown bought houses for you all. All you have to do is move in." In particular I find it hard to believe that Flo and Diana would've been cool with Motown making that kind of choice for them.

Also I have to wonder how much of a variety of homes could the ladies have been presented with. This was still Detroit mid 1960s and there were neighborhoods that were even off limits to the Supremes. I imagine there might not have been a ton of Supreme worthy options, and it just so happened that the ladies all chose homes on the same street because the houses best suited their needs. Flo had a ton of family she planned to move into hers. Diana's mother still had school aged children at home. And not only did Mary buy a duplex for herself, which she rented out the other half to Cholly, but she purchased a separate house for her mother somewhere else.
    But if it was their choice would Diana and Flo choose to live basically opposite each other ? I can see your point RanRan but at the same time no one can deny just how controlling Motown was of its roster..they didnt question they were told..which lead to spectacular rebellion in time from Diana, Mary and Florence [[also most notable marvin and Stevie)
    Last edited by nomis; 10-28-2021 at 08:46 PM.

But if it was their choice would Diana and Flo choose to live basically opposite each other ? I can see your point RanRan but at the same time no one can deny just how controlling Motown was of its roster..they didnt question they were told..which lead to spectacular rebellion in time from Diana, Mary and Florence [[also most notable marvin and Stevie)
    I think you might be confused about the details. The story goes that the ladies didn't discover that they had all made purchases on the same street until after they had bought the houses. Now had they all been involved in the process together rather than individually, would Flo and Diana have chosen to live directly across the street from one another? Probably not. And not because they had a personal problem with one another- this was 1965 after all- but because they probably would've thought "Look we're together 24/7 as it is. Must we be together even when we're at home?" And honestly, if this was a premeditated publicity stunt by Motown, wouldn't it have made more sense to have all three ladies living near each other? It's my understanding that although Mary's home is also on the same street, she's like a couple blocks away. And Flo and Diana's homes are "identical" while Mary got a duplex? Why would a duplex be chosen for Mary? You're definitely right on the money about how controlling Motown was, but I think even Motown had it's limits. Telling someone where they [[and their families) had to live just seems a tad too far, even for Gordy and company. Lol

I think you might be confused about the details. The story goes that the ladies didn't discover that they had all made purchases on the same street until after they had bought the houses. Now had they all been involved in the process together rather than individually, would Flo and Diana have chosen to live directly across the street from one another? Probably not. And not because they had a personal problem with one another- this was 1965 after all- but because they probably would've thought "Look we're together 24/7 as it is. Must we be together even when we're at home?" And honestly, if this was a premeditated publicity stunt by Motown, wouldn't it have made more sense to have all three ladies living near each other? It's my understanding that although Mary's home is also on the same street, she's like a couple blocks away. And Flo and Diana's homes are "identical" while Mary got a duplex? Why would a duplex be chosen for Mary? You're definitely right on the money about how controlling Motown was, but I think even Motown had it's limits. Telling someone where they [[and their families) had to live just seems a tad too far, even for Gordy and company. Lol
    good points thanks for the reply RanRan..such is the indomitable mystique of Motown..fact can often be hard to discern from the mythos..
    Last edited by nomis; 10-28-2021 at 10:00 PM.

Well I don’t find it odd at all that they all lived on the same street. After all we all know from the “Playboy“ album cover that the Marvelettes even all lived in the same house!

The picture of Florence's home on the introductory page 1 showing the SUV on the left of the house and the black car in front of the house originated from the Walter Reuther Library [date unknown]. I have a book put out by the Motor City Blight Busters, Home in Detroit, that has this exact picture in and attributes it to the library I mentioned. The book also includes pictures of Diana's place at 3762 W. Buena Vista and Mary's place at 4099 W. Buena Vista. Mary's place is an AP image and Diana's is also a Walter Reuther Library picture. I would love to see a modern date 2021 picture of all three of these homes. Don't we have a member living in Detroit that could help us out on this?

According to google maps there is no 3762 Buena Vista. I thought Diana still owned the house with her sister living there

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    According to google maps there is no 3762 Buena Vista. I thought Diana still owned the house with her sister living there
    Maybe it is 3760? In her book, Diana includes a photo of herself posing in front of the home. The #s are very small but they could be 3760.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    It is per Home In Detroit published by the Motor City Blight Busters

3762 W. Buena Vista.

There is also a Buena Vista Avenue