[REMOVE ADS]

Roger Hawkins R.I.P.

Sad to hear that the great Fame Studios and Muscle Shoals Sound drummer Roger Hawkins has passed away after several years of health struggles.

https://www.wafb.com/2021/05/20/roge...mmer-has-died/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news...cid=uxbndlbing

He was up there with the Motown greats like Benny, Uriel and Pistol, and his southern counterparts, Al Jackson and Gene Chrisman.

Roger and these guys laid the foundation of how to play the drums in Soul/R&B songs.

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by bradburger; 05-20-2021 at 10:00 PM.

Just saw the news. Thanks for your contributions to the sound of southern soul. I know Aretha is welcoming you into her heavenly backing band.

A great Swamper... RIP

Sad to hear this.
    When I think of Roger Hawkins, my mind goes right to Wilson Pickett's "Land of 1000 Dances". Roger destroys that kit!

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Sad to hear this.
    When I think of Roger Hawkins, my mind goes right to Wilson Pickett's "Land of 1000 Dances". Roger destroys that kit!
    Roger Hawkins credited Pickett for that part... Said Wilson beat the grove on his leg with his hand and they immediately went and cut the track based on that pattern... Also, the drum part on Paul Simons Kodachrome... Paul had Hawkins beat out that galloping pattern on an Ampex tape box stuffed with paper...