[REMOVE ADS]

Is This The Same Shorty Long?

I have my doubts this is the same Shorty Long that we all know, but the record is from his home town of Birmingham, AL and was released in 1958, which I imagine was before he moved to Detroit. There's also the strange lyric about being "from Detroit and Alabam".

I don't think it sounds much like him, but I'm curious to know what other forum members think.

I think that this is our Shorty as it sounds pretty close to his Tri-Phi sound. The other Shorty was white C & W musician. It is a bit humerous which was Shorty`s style. Thanks for posting nsoule.

I think you have to bear in mind that Shorty was 18/19 when this single came out, and that his singing would have changed somewhat before he recorded for Tri-Phi in 1962. It's listed at https://www.45cat.com/record/j8ow7285j8ow7286, and that's usually reliable.

It does sound different, but I'm pretty sure it is him. The song definitely has a Shorty vibe.

I have to say I thought it would be, erm, not very good, but itís quite fun and listenable, heehee!

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  21.1 KB
    This is Motown's Shorty, as a late teenager, singing at a higher register. His voice and voice mannerisms are very recognisable. This certainly not RCA's C&W Shorty Long.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm still not quite hearing it, but I'll opt to side with everyone's opinion so far that this is Motown's Shorty Long.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  21.1 KB
    This is Motown's Shorty, as a late teenager, singing at a higher register. His voice and voice mannerisms are very recognisable. This certainly not RCA's C&W Shorty Long.
    I agree with Rob for the same reasons.

A younger voice with the same mannerisms.

Would love to hear the B side.

The B side is "You`re Tearing Me Up" which I haven`t heard.There are supposedly more of Shorty`s tracks still unreleased, also there must be some alternates. Let`s hope that we don`t have to wait too long.