[REMOVE ADS]

In And Out Of Love appreciation

This was always a song I didn't hate but didn't love but recently I'm really coming to appreciate and love. I love the bounciness of the backing track and Diana's mix between bubbly and frustrated vocal. I'm really interested in knowing if the original backing track still exists. Maybe with the Reflections expanded edition we'll get that. I always loved the performance of the song on Sullivan. Not so much into the other live versions, mainly because it always sounds like a duet between Diana and Mary. Now with the backgrounds we know Flo and Mary recorded them first and then the Andantes were dubbed into the track. I'm wondering if they completely replaced Mary and Flo because there's parts of the song where I think I hear them and then other parts that sound pure Andantes. It doesn't have the same full sound as the Stop! backgrounds where we know its all five of them singing back there.

my all time fav Supreme song...I always assumed Flo was on the track

This song always reminds me of Falling In Love With Love from their sings R&H album.

You know what's wrong with this song? Nothing. In the pre-internet days, the only thing I knew of this song was that people didn't seem to think much of it. That's the vibe I got from things I was forever coming across in books. Finally heard it on an oldies show and I thought "This is a really good song!" The announcer seemed to think so too; he sounded as if he had been grooving along to the song as he enthused over the fade: DIANA ROSS & THE SUPREMES!!! FALLIN' IN AND OUT OF LOVE!!!!! AIN'T THAT A GREAT ONE!!!

His enthusiasm for the song was contagious. I think sometimes you can be conditioned to not like a song if all you hear are lukewarm comments. I think if Martha Reeves And The Vandellas or Marvelettes had hit with it, the song wouldn't be so scrutinized and picked apart. It would have just been enjoyed. It sounds good on record and even better on the radio.
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 05-19-2021 at 10:43 PM.

I love this song too and have always been surprised that fans put it down.

Like some others above, I love the Ed Sullivan performance but the live [[European) concert versions aren't as good with the tempo being sped up too much.

It would be interesting to hear a version without the Andante's vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    I love this song too and have always been surprised that fans put it down.

Like some others above, I love the Ed Sullivan performance but the live [[European) concert versions aren't as good with the tempo being sped up too much.

It would be interesting to hear a version without the Andante's vocals.
    Diana messes up the lyrics on Sullivan

I've always loved the song. I'll listen more closely to see if I can hear Flo. It's different for the Supremes, a bit more adult, but I love it.

I also love this song keep falling in and out of love it’s really great and vocals I’m almost after 60 years I still love it even today not too many singers to match the style and voice She’s definitely one of a kind

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    This was always a song I didn't hate but didn't love but recently I'm really coming to appreciate and love. I love the bounciness of the backing track and Diana's mix between bubbly and frustrated vocal. I'm really interested in knowing if the original backing track still exists. Maybe with the Reflections expanded edition we'll get that. I always loved the performance of the song on Sullivan. Not so much into the other live versions, mainly because it always sounds like a duet between Diana and Mary. Now with the backgrounds we know Flo and Mary recorded them first and then the Andantes were dubbed into the track. I'm wondering if they completely replaced Mary and Flo because there's parts of the song where I think I hear them and then other parts that sound pure Andantes. It doesn't have the same full sound as the Stop! backgrounds where we know its all five of them singing back there.
    I had a similar early experience with "In and Out Of Love". I never hated it, but for the longest time it was a song that didn't rate much with me. Like "The Happening", "In and Out" is heavily pop. To my ears, all of the pre "Happening" Supremes singles were either a healthy mix of pop and r&b or just straight r&b, which I love. "The Happening" is the first time the girls went straight pop. I think any pop artist could have sung the song the exact same way, same track, everything. That's really how I feel about "In and Out". So for years it was a song I didn't mind listening to if it came on, but I rarely made a point to play it.

Over the years that began to change. While I'm sure I would prefer a version with the Funks, as well as just Flo and Mary, what changed my tune on "In and Out" is Diana's vocal. She really gives a great performance on it. And the bounciness of it all is also very catchy. It is officially one of my fav DRATS cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post

His enthusiasm for the song was contagious. I think sometimes you can be conditioned to not like a song if all you hear are lukewarm comments. I think if Martha Reeves And The Vandellas or Marvelettes had hit with it, the song wouldn't be so scrutinized and picked apart. It would have just been enjoyed. It sounds good on record and even better on the radio.
    While I do agree that "In and Out" seems to largely be a Supremes hit that the public hasn't retained a particular love for, I can't say it's ever been scrutinized and picked apart anymore than any other Supremes song, or song period. Just like with songs people love, we all dig into it. For instance, "Where Did Our Love Go". Myself, among many others, have dissected that song, pointing out why it was so good, why it's so beloved. I think any song should get that same treatment: why it's loved or why it isn't.

"In And Out Of Love" was a departure in sound for the Supremes. It's been written somewhere that this was HDH's attempt at the California sound of the time. That's probably why the Detroit version was ditched and re-cut in LA. Let's face it, the Supremes and the Funks were a great combination. I think "Love Is Here" was such a heartfelt song, sung so exceptionally well, and dramatically, by Diana, Flo and Mary, and written so well by HDH, that it was an easy across the board hit. That's one song I don't think I miss the Funks on. "In And Out" is something else entirely.

I'm not surprised that the song scrapped into the top 10 Hot 100, nor am I surprised that it was the second Supremes single since "Lovelight" [[the first being "Happening) to miss the r&b top 10. It's also no surprise that it's a mostly forgotten hit. As good as it actually is, I do think it misses the charm of the previous singles. The addition of the Andantes and the LA band probably has a lot to do with that. There will always be an unbeatable combo: Diana, Flo, Mary, HDH and the Funk Brothers. Mess with either of those ingredients and I think success would vary.

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    And on Live at London's Talk of the Town as well as their 1968 videotaped Sweden date.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    And on Live at London's Talk of the Town as well as their 1968 videotaped Sweden date.
    I think we can forgive her those indiscretions. She was working like a Trojan during those times.

The Supremes were trend-setters.
    When I heard "In and Out of Love", my initial reaction was that there was nothing new or exciting there.There was nothing different to make you sit up and take notice like "You Keep Me Hanging On" or "Reflections".

I like the song okay, but the lyrics aren't direct enough to make a lasting impression IMO.

One of my favorite Supremes tracks.

I was once treated to a listening party of this song from the original archive tape. Pure joy.

Best part of the live performances of In and Out of Love is whenever Mary and Cindy do the look-look part of the choreography--demonstrating the Supreme way of looking both ways before crossing the street. There's be far less pedestrian accidents crossing the street if people emulated Mary and Cindy before crossing the street.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    One of my favorite Supremes tracks.

I was once treated to a listening party of this song from the original archive tape. Pure joy.
    Oooh what was that like? Any sound differences?

Oooh what was that like? Any sound differences?
    The real treat was the ability to remove Diana's lead and the instruments and just hear the stand alone background vocals. Many times Mary/Flo/Cindy/The Andantes get lost in the orchestration or the mix. You could really hear how powerful Mary was as a singer.

I LOVE that clip above; thank you to whomever posted it. Really listen to Mary. She sounds divine! All those extra nuances are fabulous.

One more thought: does anyone else notice how effortless it was for Mary to be a Supreme? While Flo and Cindy at times seemed a bit clunky, Mary has this flow about her; her arm and hand gestures are just so weightless. She moves like she's walking on air. I love Mary Wilson, and over the years have been critical of her, but damn. She was pretty much perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    The real treat was the ability to remove Diana's lead and the instruments and just hear the stand alone background vocals. Many times Mary/Flo/Cindy/The Andantes get lost in the orchestration or the mix. You could really hear how powerful Mary was as a singer.

I LOVE that clip above; thank you to whomever posted it. Really listen to Mary. She sounds divine! All those extra nuances are fabulous.

One more thought: does anyone else notice how effortless it was for Mary to be a Supreme? While Flo and Cindy at times seemed a bit clunky, Mary has this flow about her; her arm and hand gestures are just so weightless. She moves like she's walking on air. I love Mary Wilson, and over the years have been critical of her, but damn. She was pretty much perfection.
    I noticed that too in the above clip with Mary's vocalizations and love it!

And you're so right about Mary being effortless. I don't think I ever saw her screw up the choreography the way Flo, Diana and Cindy would. Flo and Diana always had a look on their face like they were thinking of what their next move would be where Mary was just a pure natural. I think thats why the "sexy one" moniker fit her so well.

I noticed that too in the above clip with Mary's vocalizations and love it!

And you're so right about Mary being effortless. I don't think I ever saw her screw up the choreography the way Flo, Diana and Cindy would. Flo and Diana always had a look on their face like they were thinking of what their next move would be where Mary was just a pure natural. I think thats why the "sexy one" moniker fit her so well.

I wonder if Mary ever learned to hula....she'd have been perfect at it.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    The Supremes were trend-setters.
    When I heard "In and Out of Love", my initial reaction was that there was nothing new or exciting there.There was nothing different to make you sit up and take notice like "You Keep Me Hanging On" or "Reflections".

That sounds right....its well executed , faultless even- as Waiting suggests....but in the end , "standard" fair. Its a wonderful 'Supremes' song, their strong presence heard here and they play a significant role in carrying the tune...making it very frustrating that its fake.

Catchy tune , its just waiting to be re-ultilized:

Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-22-2021 at 11:55 AM.

It’s a song Diana always performed really well live. Very true to the original recording.

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    where? how?

this song has never done much for me. i don't like the bounciness of the bass line and track. that was also something i didn't care for with Love Is Here. just not my cup of tea i guess

i do like the live version on TOTT of In and Out.

Great song, loved it from the moment I heard it and still do. [[Although maybe not quite as much as then, but that often happens )