[REMOVE ADS]

Ike And Tina Turner "The Bolic Sound Sessions" 2CD set [[Sunset Blvd) 7/2/2021

Description
    Following the success of Ike & Tina Turner, Turner had the finances to create his own recording studio which he called Bolic Sound. The name Bolic derived from the maiden name of his then wife Tina Turner [[née Bullock). The studio was previously a furniture store which Turner bought as a shell and had it fully renovated. The facilities began being used for Turner productions in 1970 before opening for business in March 1972. Billboard magazine described Bolic Sound as "one of the most ornate recording plants in the world." Bolic Sound eventually burnt to the ground under mysterious circumstances, but not before Ike produced a plethora of tracks for himself and Tina Turner.

Tracklist
    [CD1]
    1. Trying To Find My Mind
    2. Shake
    3. I Idolize You [Bolic Studio Long Version]
    4. Why I Sing The Blues
    5. River Deep-Mountain High [Version #3]
    6. Honey Child I'm Over You
    7. Living For The City [Version #2]
    8. Stormy Weather
    9. Don't Fight It [Feel It] / Knock On Wood
    10. There's Nothing I Wouldn't Do
    11. Proud Mary [Bolic Version #2]
    12. I've Got A Man
    13. A Fool In Love [Bolic Studio Version]
    14. You Took A Trip
    15. You're Up To Something
    16. I Had A Notion
    17. No More Lovin'
    18. You Paid Me Back With My Own Coins

[CD2]
    1. Gimme Some Lovin'
    2. You Can't Have Your Cake And Eat It Too [Ike Vocal]
    3. I've Got My Mojo Working
    4. Baby, Get It On
    5. I Can't Believe What You Are Saying
    6. Another Day
    7. Don't Look Back
    8. What You Don't See [Is Better Yet] [Live]
    9. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window [Live]
    10. Get Back [Live]
    11. River Deep Mountain High [Live]
    12. Come Together [Live]
    13. A Fool For You [Live]
    14. Pick Me Up [Take Me Where Your Home Is] [Live]
    15. With A Little Help From My Friends [Live]
    16. Honky Tonk Woman [Live]
    17. Proud Mary [Live]
    18. Something [Live]

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CJJRPR6/?tag=imwan-20

I like. I've been replaying the '70 - '75 I&T lps and loving them; this set seems to have a nice amount of unfamiliar material. Thanks for the find, M-Ed -

Yes, please!

This is an interesting release but would be even more attractive without the live sessions. Maybe there wasn't that much material left. Still, looks like a good buy. I grew up being a huge Ike & Tina fan, and saw them live several times. Their studio performances were always thought to be less exciting than their live shows, but I liked the albums that came out during this period and they were what got me interested in Tina. The albums "Feel Good," "Come Together," "Workin' Together" [[that one included their version of 'Proud Mary'), "Nutbush City Limits" [[of course) and "Let Me Touch Your Mind" were all excellent.

Ike was especially productive during this period, and I finally discovered his UA material that he released under his own name or with the Kings of Rhythm, and they're well worth seeking out as well.

A few albums eeked out when Tina was more or less under the radar on her own. Albums like "Air Waves" seemed to be culled from the stuff that wasn't considered hit material a few years before that.

But I'll be adding this one to my collection, if only for old times' sake!
    Last edited by kenneth; 05-24-2021 at 07:40 AM.

I could have virtually written your post verbatim, Kenneth! The string of lps you mention [[only omitting 'Nuff Said) are excellent and, for me, hold up these decades later as proto-weird 70's funk. As regards the live material, I'm wondering/thinking it's probably the faked 'live' performances that were recorded and released as the 'Around The World' double lp. Generally speaking I would have preferred inclusion of the Ike Family Vibes band material rather than any duplicated tracks ...his 'Strange Fruit' instrumental lp is a weird & wooly oddity, to be sure! Still have my gatefold lp copy.

@Peace,

You have excellent taste! Of course, I always think that when people like what I do!

Seriously, you know I’m not all that familiar with the “Nuff Said” album. It seemed to be different from the other albums in that it was more mellow of a vibe which is probably why I wasn’t into it at the time. I’ll have to find it again in my collection and listen to it. As is very common for me, I often love things that in the past I wouldn’t have bothered with.

In fact, a great example of that is their gospel album which also came out during this period and the country album which is what I think was the first album which was marketed as Tina alone without Ike’s participation. I love the gospel album now and in fact have played it a lot in the past few months. The tracks which originated in “Tina Turns the Country On” I believe have been released in many different formats and I think Tina did an excellent job with that material. Like Cher, also surprisingly, Tina seems to excel at folk or very rock oriented material like her versions of “Help Me Make it Through the Night” and “Whole Lotta Love.”

I am very interested to listen to the Ike turner album you mention. I am positive that I have it, but I don’t think I’ve played his albums very much in the past, only rediscovering him lately as well. It seems he’s enjoyed a bit of a Renaissance since his death, and people are starting to listen to his music again, rather than criticizing him for his extremely harsh treatment of Tina. One of the albums I bought of him lately includes a few vocal selections by his last wife, a white lady, and believe it or not she didn’t sound like Tina but she was also a pretty good singer as well. I was surprised when I heard her, I actually liked the way she sang which I hadn’t expected to.

Thanks so much for the feedback!
    Last edited by kenneth; 05-24-2021 at 11:49 AM.

For a while, I've been planning to go back and revisit my Ike and Tina albums. Now might be a perfect time.

My dad had an 8-track of WHAT YOU HEAR IS WHAT YOU GET that I fell in love with. As a result, I bought their Minit IN PERSON album. It wasn't as good [IMO] but still a good play.

I bought most of their other albums in the wake of Tina's comeback success and as such, many of them I only played once or twice. I became enamored with the various live albums [with the exception of THE WORLD OF...] but a lot of the studio albums didn't connect with me. Each had some tracks that I liked but I found most of them [aside from the Sue and Kent albums] spotty.

The best thing on the “in person“ album was the long version of “All I Could Do Was Cry,” although I’m not sure they even called it by that title on the album. But there was a lot of great interaction with the audience on that track including where Tina chided some of the “respectable young ladies” in the audience who, even if they hadn’t admitted it, had done wrong once in their lives! I think it was a good example of what their live shows probably were like before they broke out into the rock music fan set and upped their game which got them into the arenas and stadiums.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    The best thing on the “in person“ album was the long version of “All I Could Do Was Cry,” although I’m not sure they even called it by that title on the album. But there was a lot of great interaction with the audience on that track including where Tina chided some of the “respectable young ladies” in the audience who, even if they hadn’t admitted it, had done wrong once in their lives! I think it was a good example of what their live shows probably were like before they broke out into the rock music fan set and upped their game which got them into the arenas and stadiums.
    On IN PERSON, it did have the correct title. But on one of the early Kent live albums, it was mistitled THE WEDDING.

I do love the live albums, in particular the Kent/Modern sets, the WB/Loma sets, and of course, the United Artists set WHAT YOU HEAR IS WHAT YOU GET. I wish there was more footage of the Revue from the Sue / Kent days as I would love to see it. My mother used to love to tell me how she saw them when A FOOL IN LOVE hit and "Tina wasn't wearing a wig yet!" :-)

@reese,

I doubt that even Tina would recognize her real hair! I think her wigs could challenge Dolly Parton’s to a duel, though I think I’d put my money on Dolly’s! Once someone asked Dolly about how her hair was styled and she said something like “I don’t know. I’m never around when they do it!”
    Last edited by kenneth; 05-24-2021 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    @Peace,

You have excellent taste! Of course, I always think that when people like what I do!

Seriously, you know I’m not all that familiar with the “Nuff Said” album. It seemed to be different from the other albums in that it was more mellow of a vibe which is probably why I wasn’t into it at the time. I’ll have to find it again in my collection and listen to it. As is very common for me, I often love things that in the past I wouldn’t have bothered with.

In fact, a great example of that is their gospel album which also came out during this period and the country album which is what I think was the first album which was marketed as Tina alone without Ike’s participation. I love the gospel album now and in fact have played it a lot in the past few months. The tracks which originated in “Tina Turns the Country On” I believe have been released in many different formats and I think Tina did an excellent job with that material. Like Cher, also surprisingly, Tina seems to excel at folk or very rock oriented material like her versions of “Help Me Make it Through the Night” and “Whole Lotta Love.”

I am very interested to listen to the Ike turner album you mention. I am positive that I have it, but I don’t think I’ve played his albums very much in the past, only rediscovering him lately as well. It seems he’s enjoyed a bit of a Renaissance since his death, and people are starting to listen to his music again, rather than criticizing him for his extremely harsh treatment of Tina. One of the albums I bought of him lately includes a few vocal selections by his last wife, a white lady, and believe it or not she didn’t sound like Tina but she was also a pretty good singer as well. I was surprised when I heard her, I actually liked the way she sang which I hadn’t expected to.

Thanks so much for the feedback!
    Certainly! 'NS' was the studio follow-up to 'Workin' Together' and, hit-single free it certainly curtailed I&T's album chart/sales momentum. 'Pick Me Up' was the most featured song on the lp, garnering airplay on the Newark NJ based AM soul stations as well as tv appearances, and was featured in the 'solo-duo' mini-set that I&T opened concerts with for that tour.

If you listen carefully to the WYHIWYG you can probably hear me cheering - I attended one of the Carnegie Hall performances from which that lp was drawn. I also had purchased the Minit IP album and loved it at the time but nowsadaze I find it somewhat tiring.

Revisiting the I&T studio albums from the '69 - '75 era and comparing the studio material to the live performances the Revue comes across as almost two separate groups: one a dynamite cover band and the other a minimalist studio funk outfit. Ike's solo / Family Vibe lps have more in common with the I&T lps than do the live performances. One of the persistent reflections on Ike is that he did not update the group's sound. I guess I largely agree with that, and have to add that even as the Revue had large, then dwindling audiences they kept up with a live act that consisted nearly entirely of cover material instead of focusing on their own recorded output.

It's always great to discuss all things Tina / I&T!
    '

@Peace,

I remember listening to that live album quite often, and will never forget that raunchy Interlude during the song “I’ve Been Loving You Too Long.” Not to be too specific, but I think in those days when listening to it with a group of friends, we were on something stronger than a few cocktails!