[REMOVE ADS]

"You're All I Need to Get By" Diana Ross

Motown should have released this song as a single.Well produced newer version of a classic song. Diana Ross' vocals soar on this song. Did Motown ever consider releasing the song as a single?
    Last edited by TNSUN; 05-19-2021 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Error

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    Motown should have released this song as a single.Well produced newer version of a classic song. Diana Ross' vocals soar on this song. Did Motown ever consider releasing the song as a single?
    I don't think so.
    It is a lovely version of a lovely song but it will always quite rightly be associated with Marvin and Tammi.

I also don't believe this should have been released as a single. Although it's a nice rendition, it's production lacks the depth and presence that I associate with Marvin and Tammi's version. It always sounded like it was recorded in a big hollow gymnasium to my ears.

Diana’s version of this song is second to none it is absolutely soaring to the heavens no one can deny that her voice is mystical

Diana did a nice version but it is rather similar to Marvin and Tammi's version. IMO, it is a great album track but not distinctive enough for a single.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Diana did a nice version but it is rather similar to Marvin and Tammi's version. IMO, it is a great album track but not distinctive enough for a single.
    Agreed all around. I love D's intro as well, but ... single? Don't see it.

Diana Ross Takes song to a whole new level It is absolutely heavenly and no one can match it no onel

Another reason why I am not so excited about Diana Ross' "You're All I Need to Get By." When I first listened to this at around 17 years old, I was taken back by the extra voice I could hear subtly in the background after her opening line, "I wanted to the world at my feet" [[sounds like someone was repeating the word I). And I was never sure until just recently what the last word was in the that phrase...."and now I do -conceive- or 'concede'.
    The word 'concede' strikes me as an awkward term to use in a lyric. Just my opinion.

Meh. It's alright.

Tough to compare a lemon next to Tammi and Marvin's golden apple.

Interesting it pops up on " voice of love " compilation I wonder if miss Ross herself chose it to be included on the release

Whilst Diana's version is a good album track, I feel that it would have been a poor choice as a single. Marvin and Tammi's version is beyond sublime and a very powerful single release, especially with Two Can Have A Party as its B side. In light of the original single Diana's would have lacked success.

However, if Ashford and Simpson had restructured the song, as per Ain't No Mountain High Enough, it might have been a good single.
    Last edited by rovereab; 05-21-2021 at 06:38 AM.

Diana does a good job in my opinion and so does Aretha Franklin but I wasn't a fan of the version of Denise Williams and Johnny Mathis. However, it is still hard for me to this day to separate Valerie from Tammi.

Ashford & Simpson are doing backing vocals on this track. I remember hearing it on FM radio in 1970. It was never considered for single release and basically follows the same structure as the original version.

I think A&S did the right thing in lending Diana’s version a totally different vibe. The M&T version is a pop/soul valentine for star crossed lovers. Diana’s much slower version sounds less starry eyed and far more sexy and seductive. It could almost be an entirely different song.
    I love both versions, but Diana just sneaks in as the winner for me.

Also, Aretha has a very powerful recording of this song. Ross' wouldn't have rated as a single compared to Marvin/Tammi and Aretha.

What would be the point of Diana's solo career if her second and third singles were both remakes of Marvin and Tammi songs? And for that matter, what was the point of yet another cover, this time of a Four Tops' song, as her fourth single?

The first cover was a completely reimagined version that soared and sailed with incredible energy. It was triumphant and joyful.

But she needed to move on to something different. And her version of You're All I Need was not the right direction for her. It would have been just another Motown remake, not something always identified with her.

Marvin and Tammi put an indelible stamp on their take, with a majestic, intimate, fresh, powerful, infectious sound; their version was absolutely perfect as a single and in and of itself.

Marvin and Tammi's take is timeless; Diana's is merely a relic of that time.

Quote Originally Posted by benross View Post

Marvin and Tammi's take is timeless; Diana's is merely a relic of that time.
    I disagree. To me the whole Diana Ross album is a timeless classic. Every song a mini masterpiece performed to perfection. I think Diana's version of “YAINTGB” is far more contemporary sounding, though not necessarily better then the original.

FYI, we had this discussion back in December for anyone who would like to see additional responses.

Diana's "You're All I Need To Get By" Theoretical Question [[soulfuldetroit.com)

it's a lovely rendition on DR 70. had it not been a cover, maybe it could have been a single but to release as a cover, it would have needed something more. maybe not the total reworking Mountain got but something. but it's an excellent album track. definitely worthy of inclusion

its ok for me, i like it but not a single.
    Aretha did the single version.

Does anyone know if the "When I was Just a little girl..." intro appears on the unreleased Ashford-Simpson recording?

I really like this version! But then, I'm not impartial

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Does anyone know if the "When I was Just a little girl..." intro appears on the unreleased Ashford-Simpson recording?
    I'm betting that was created specifically for Diana. Probably a way of setting the tone for this being a solo version and not a duet.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I really like this version! But then, I'm not impartial
    Hey Tom! Don't see you around here much anymore. Probably why there's so little drama these days.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Hey Tom! Don't see you around here much anymore. Probably why there's so little drama these days.
    Hehe, thanks Ran. I have to say I have been struggling a bit recently with the whole pandemic and in myself, but I’m feeling better now. So I thought it was time to come back and restart the drama. Heheehee

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hehe, thanks Ran. I have to say I have been struggling a bit recently with the whole pandemic and in myself, but I’m feeling better now. So I thought it was time to come back and restart the drama. Heheehee
    Well glad you're feeling better. The pandemic has done a number on many of us. Glad to have you back!

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Well glad you're feeling better. The pandemic has done a number on many of us. Glad to have you back!
    Thanks Ran!

Great morning awakening lyrics:

Like the sweet morning dew
    I took one look at you
    And it was plain to see
    You were my destiny...

Great lyrics and music by Ashford and Simpson and wonderfully sung by Diana Ross.

Oh my!