[REMOVE ADS]

Phyllis Hyman: Old Friend – The Deluxe Collections 1976-1998, 9CD Box Set

• SoulMusic Soul Music Records is exceptionally pleased to present the first-ever box set of the music of the late Phyllis Hyman, who created a wonderful legacy of recordings over close to twenty-years that continues to resonate today with her dedicated global audience and beyond. Creatively traversing the soul/R&B and jazz genres from the mid-‘70s until her passing in the mid-‘90s ,with her instantly recognizable and distinctive vocal style, Phyllis developed a solid cadre of discerning music buyers with albums for Buddah, Arista and Philadelphia International Records, collated here along with a number of bonus tracks and guest appearances for a total of [[113) tracks. Appropriately named ‘The Deluxe Collection,” this 9CD box has been lovingly created by SoulMusic.com founder David Nathan in cooperation with Glenda Gracia, manager & executrix of the Phyllis Hyman estate, who contributes a moving up-close-and-personal essay. Renowned writer Janine Coveney provides a heartfelt tribute with an overview of Phyllis’ music; while SoulMusic Records’ Michael Lewis offers his thoughts on Phyllis’ compelling live performances. In a beautifully-designed box with artwork by Roger Williams along with stellar mastering from Nick Robbins, “Old Friend: The Deluxe Collection” is a fitting celebration of Phyllis Hyman’s contribution through music, to commemorate the anniversary of her 72ND birthday, on 6th July.
    • Disc 1, PHYLLIS HYMAN [[BUDDAH) marked Phyllis’ official album debut and includes the US R&B/dance charted single, ‘Loving You, Losing You’, co-penned by Philly soul maestro Thom Bell who also co-wrote ‘Betcha By Golly Wow’, which Phyllis recorded with jazz drummer Norman Connors in 1976 along with a duet with Michael Henderson [[‘We Both Need Each Other’), resulting in her first exposure to a wider audience. Also on this expanded edition, both sides of Phyllis’ 1976 single for Desert Moon Records.
    • Disc 2, SOMEWHERE IN MY LIFETIME marked Phyllis’ addition to the Arista Records’ roster when Buddah Records was acquired by the Clive Davis-helmed label. The title cut was co-produced by Barry Manilow; six tracks were included from Phyllis’ 2nd Buddah LP, “Sing A Song” which only gained release outside the US in 1978; expanded edition features bonus tracks from “Sing A Song” and a guest appearance with saxophonist Pharoah Sanders, ‘As You Are’ as well as 12” single versions of ‘Kiss You All Over’ and ‘So Strange’.
    • Disc 3, YOU KNOW HOW TO LOVE ME teamed Phyllis with James Mtume & Reggie Lucas, hitmakers for Stephanie Mills; the result was Phyllis’ biggest R&B/dance hit with the now-classic title track; expanded edition includes the Thom Bell-produced ‘Magic Mona’, three tracks on which Phyllis guested with jazz pianist McCoy Tyner; and ‘In A Sentimental Mood’ from the Duke Ellington Broadway musical Sophisticated Ladies, in which Phyllis starred and was nominated for a Tony award.
    • Disc 4, 1981’s CAN’T WE FALL IN LOVE AGAIN featured Phyllis’ highest-charting R&B hit, the title track a duet with Michael Henderson. Other tracks included production by Norman Connors and Natalie Cole’s co-producer Chuck Jackson; this expanded edition features three tracks not on the original LP.
    • Disc 5, GODDESS OF LOVE was Phyllis’ final LP for Arista with production from Narada Michael Walden [[the R&B/dance hit ‘Riding The Tiger’) and Thom Bell, with a bonus track from the Bell sessions, ‘I’m Not Asking You To Stay’ on this expanded edition.
    • Disc 6, LIVING ALL ALONE marks Phyllis’ 1986 pacting with Kenny Gamble & Leon Huff’s Philadelphia International Records’ label and resulted in immediate success with two Top 20 R&B hits, the title track and the perennial ‘Old Friend’, which remained a staple of Phyllis’ live shows; expanded edition features guest appearances with Barry Manilow and Grover Washington Jr.
    • Disc 7, 1991’s PRIME OF MY LIFE brought Phyllis her 1st R&B chart-topping single, ‘Don’t Wanna Change The World’ [[with the rare non-rap version included on this expanded edition) and included notable tracks ‘Living In Confusion’ and ‘Meet Me On The Moon’. Additional bonus track, ‘Hottest Love Around’ was only previously available on a CD single.
    • Disc 8, I REFUSE TO BE LONELY, with primary production by Nick Martinelli [[who had worked on Phyllis’ 1991 CD) was released after her passing in June, 1995 and features five tracks co-written by Phyllis including the title track and standout ‘It’s Not About You [[It’s About Me’).
    • Disc 9, FOREVER WITH YOU consists of a collection of previously-unreleased recordings that Phyllis had recorded for Philadelphia International Records, including four she co-wrote, notably ‘The Strength Of A Woman’, as well as a memorable version of ‘Hurry Up This Way Again’, a 1980 R&B hit for The Stylistics.

Track Listing:

DISC ONE:
    PHYLLIS HYMAN [[BUDDAH) EXPANDED EDITION
    1. LOVING YOU, LOSING YOU
    2. NO ONE CAN LOVE YOU MORE
    3. ONE THING ON MY MIND
    4. I DON’T WANT TO LOSE YOU
    5. DELIVER THE LOVE
    6. WAS YESTERDAY SUCH A LONG TIME AGO
    7. THE NIGHT BIRD GETS THE LOVE
    8. BEAUTIFUL MAN OF MINE
    9. CHILDREN OF THE WORLD
    BONUS TRACKS
    10. BABY [[I’M GONNA LOVE YOU)
    11. DO ME
    12. YOU’RE THE ONE
    13. WE BOTH NEED EACH OTHER – Norman Connors Feat. Phyllis Hyman And Michael Henderson
    14. BETCHA BY GOLLY WOW – Norman Connors Feat. Phyllis Hyman
    15. JUST IMAGINE… – Norman Connors Feat. Phyllis Hyman
    DISC TWO:
    SOMEWHERE IN MY LIFETIME EXPANDED EDITION
    1. KISS YOU ALL OVER
    2. SOMEWHERE IN MY LIFETIME
    3. LOOKIN’ FOR A LOVIN’
    4. THE ANSWER IS YOU
    5. SO STRANGE
    6. GONNA MAKE CHANGES
    7. LIVING INSIDE YOUR LOVE
    8. BE CAREFUL [[HOW YOU TREAT MY LOVE)
    9. SOON COME AGAIN
    10. HERE’S THAT RAINY DAY
    BONUS TRACKS
    11. SO STRANGE [[12″ VERSION)
    12. KISS YOU ALL OVER [[12″ VERSION)
    13. SWEET MUSIC
    14. LOVE IS FREE
    15. SING A SONG
    16. AS YOU ARE – Pharoah Sanders Feat. Phyllis Hyman
    DISC THREE:
    YOU KNOW HOW TO LOVE ME EXPANDED EDITION
    1. YOU KNOW HOW TO LOVE ME
    2. SOME WAY
    3. UNDER YOUR SPELL
    4. THIS FEELING MUST BE LOVE
    5. BUT I LOVE YOU
    6. HEAVENLY
    7. HOLD ON
    8. GIVE A LITTLE MORE
    9. COMPLETE ME
    BONUS TRACKS
    10. YOU KNOW HOW TO LOVE ME [[SINGLE EDIT)
    11. UNDER YOUR SPELL [[SINGLE EDIT)
    12. MAGIC MONA
    13. I’LL BE AROUND – McCoy Tyner [[Featuring Phyllis Hyman)
    14. LOVE SURROUNDS US EVERYWHERE – McCoy Tyner [[Featuring Phyllis Hyman)
    15. IN SEARCH OF MY HEART
    16. IN A SENTIMENTAL MOOD – McCoy Tyner [[Featuring Phyllis Hyman)
    DISC FOUR:
    CAN’T WE FALL IN LOVE AGAIN EXPANDED EDITION
    1. YOU SURE LOOK GOOD TO ME
    2. DON’T TELL ME, TELL HER
    3. I AIN’T ASKING
    4. CAN’T WE FALL IN LOVE AGAIN – Phyllis Hyman & Michael Henderson
    5. THE LOVE TOO GOOD TO LAST
    6. TONIGHT YOU AND ME
    7. THE SUNSHINE IN MY LIFE
    8. JUST ANOTHER FACE IN THE CROWD
    BONUS TRACKS
    9. CAN’T WE FALL IN LOVE AGAIN [[SINGLE VERSION) – Phyllis Hyman & Michael Henderson
    10. YOU SURE LOOK GOOD TO ME [[SINGLE VERSION)
    11. TONIGHT YOU AND ME [[DISCO VERSION)
    12. SLEEP ON IT
    13. IF YOU EVER CHANGE YOUR MIND
    14. IN BETWEEN THE HEARTACHES
    DISC FIVE:
    GODDESS OF LOVE
    EXPANDED EDITION
    1. RIDING THE TIGER
    2. GODDESS OF LOVE
    3. WHY DID YOU TURN ME ON
    4. YOUR MOVE, MY HEART
    5. LET SOMEBODY LOVE YOU
    6. FALLING STAR
    7. WE SHOULD BE LOVERS
    8. JUST ME AND YOU
    9. JUST TWENTY FIVE MILES TO ANYWHERE
    BONUS TRACKS
    10. I’M NOT ASKING YOU TO STAY
    11. RIDING THE TIGER [[DANCE VERSION)
    12. RIDING THE TIGER [[SINGLE EDIT)
    DISC SIX:
    LIVING ALL ALONE
    EXPANDED EDITION
    1. LIVING ALL ALONE
    2. FIRST TIME TOGETHER
    3. IF YOU WANT ME
    4. SLOW DANCIN’
    5. OLD FRIEND
    6. YOU JUST DON’T KNOW
    7. AIN’T YOU HAD ENOUGH LOVE
    8. SCREAMIN’ AT THE MOON
    9. WHAT YOU WON’T DO FOR LOVE
    BONUS TRACKS
    10. BLACK AND BLUE – Barry Manilow & Phyllis Hyman, Featuring Tom Scott
    11. SACRED KIND OF LOVE – Grover Washington, Jr. Featuring Phyllis Hyman
    DISC SEVEN:
    PRIME OF MY LIFE
    EXPANDED EDITION
    1. WHEN YOU GET RIGHT DOWN TO IT
    2. I FOUND LOVE
    3. DON’T WANNA CHANGE THE WORLD
    4. PRIME OF MY LIFE
    5. WHEN I GIVE MY LOVE [[THIS TIME)
    6. I CAN’T TAKE IT ANYMORE
    7. WALK AWAY
    8. LIVING IN CONFUSION
    9. MEET ME ON THE MOON
    10. WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO OUR LOVE
    BONUS TRACKS
    11. [[THE) HOTTEST LOVE AROUND
    12. DON’T WANNA CHANGE THE WORLD [[NO RAP VERSION)
    DISC EIGHT:
    I REFUSE TO BE LONELY
    1. I REFUSE TO BE LONELY
    2. WAITING FOR THE LAST TEAR TO FALL
    3. THIS TOO SHALL PASS
    4. I’M TRULY YOURS
    5. I’M CALLING YOU
    6. BACK TO PARADISE
    7. IT’S NOT ABOUT YOU [[IT’S ABOUT ME)
    8. IT TAKES TWO
    9. WHY NOT ME
    10. GIVE ME ONE GOOD REASON TO STAY
    DISC NINE:
    FOREVER WITH YOU
    1. FOREVER WITH YOU
    2. FUNNY HOW LOVE GOES
    3. COME RIGHT OR NOT AT ALL
    4. THE STRENGTH OF A WOMAN
    5. HURRY UP THIS WAY AGAIN
    6. HOW LONG
    7. SOMEONE TO LOVE
    8. TELL ME WHAT YOU’RE GONNA DO
    9. THE KIDS
    10. SET A LITTLE TRAP
    11. NO ONE BUT YOU
    12. SOUVENIRS
    Phyllis Hyman: Old Friend - The Deluxe Collections 1976-1998, 9CD Box Set - Cherry Red Records

My first go at starting a thread. Apologies for any typos! I had an e-mail about a week back and am surprised the set hasn't shown here to be honest. I've got all the albums apart from Goddess of Love, so it's quite an expensive option personally.
    But it's Phyllis???????
    It's only money!

Wonderful comp! Looks like I would only need two of the tracks, though...but it's only money, right, Danno?

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Wonderful comp! Looks like I would only need two of the tracks, though...but it's only money, right, Danno?
    Yeah, it's gotta be done!

Will get this for sure! Just last week I bought a second copy of the Sophisticated Ladies lp for 1 euro Got all the cds but will be nice to have the boxset

I have all of these on CD...I also have multiple copies of at least a few...but if the sound is remastered as well as the previous Cherry Red releases by Nick Robbins, then count me in

Count me in as well. The puzzling part to me is how did I miss this discussion when it was started yesterday??? Someone told me about it today and now I see that I could have known a full 24 hours earlier. My Phyllisdar must have failed me!

We still have time: releasedate is July 30, 2021

Great to see this essential collection finally being given the green light, and the good news is that more great collections are in the pipeline.
    Who said cd's are dead?!

We love Phyllis. This compilation is missing one crucial track -- "Love Is Here" with Pharoah Sanders. One of her rare vocal performances where she conveys jubilation.

I just saw Queen Latifah on the Tamron Hall show and they spoke of their mutual love of Phyllis. Latifah expressed interest in bringing Phyllis' story to the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    We love Phyllis. This compilation is missing one crucial track -- "Love Is Here" with Pharoah Sanders. One of her rare vocal performances where she conveys jubilation.
    Good snag! Also missing [unless I overlooked them]: "Be One" [from School Daze], "Everything I Have Is Good" [also with Pharoah] and her campaign song "Run, Jesse, Run," which is only available on her hard-to-find Phylladelphia comp.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Good snag! Also missing [unless I overlooked them]: "Be One" [from School Daze], "Everything I Have Is Good" [also with Pharoah] and her campaign song "Run, Jesse, Run," which is only available on her hard-to-find Phylladelphia comp.
    Yes. I don't see any tracks that were previously unavailable on CD or digitally.

The fact that so much of this material was already available might give the impression that this collection was not needed. But there is still something to be said for having everything together in one memento like this. So far most of these boxed sets [[Dionne's coming to mind) have been reasonably priced in my opinion. I think some of these $300 and up sets are just overkill. So as long as the prices stay low enough for us to buy them, bring them on!!!!

Wow...the cover art work is beautiful!!!! Not always of fan of the art work from SoulMusic Records but this is great.

God I can't believe it's been almost 26 years. I remember being haunted by her death for a while as it didn't make sense to me then. What an incredible voice!

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    The fact that so much of this material was already available might give the impression that this collection was not needed. But there is still something to be said for having everything together in one memento like this. So far most of these boxed sets [[Dionne's coming to mind) have been reasonably priced in my opinion. I think some of these $300 and up sets are just overkill. So as long as the prices stay low enough for us to buy them, bring them on!!!!
    Is there additional unreleased material in an Arista or PI vault somewhere? The biography gave me the impression that not everything she recorded was released. But maybe we have everything now.

I would have expected SoulMusic to find EVERYTHING. Otherwise, it is a comprehensive collection -- but the completist will still need to grab another compilation or two. Phyllis' legacy deserves first-class treatment.

There's definitely a handful of tracks that remain to be released, as well as other uncompleted tracks. I was in touch with Kenny Gamble around 10 years ago on Facebook and he had told me that he was planning to put something out, in regards to more unreleased material that he has of hers from her time on his label, but mentioned it would take time [[and money) because the tracks were not formally completed...much like how her Forever With You album was pieced together. Whether we will ever see/hear this unreleased material, who knows. Not getting my hopes up.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    I would have expected SoulMusic to find EVERYTHING. Otherwise, it is a comprehensive collection -- but the completist will still need to grab another compilation or two. Phyllis' legacy deserves first-class treatment.
    Although it is a shame that all Phyllis' recordings are not included - see second review on Amazon, I have just ordered this mammoth CD set. If any of you are still thinking of also doing so, may I suggest you do it sooner rather than later as it is currently marked as out of stock on Cherry Red Records own site.

Was hoping the price would come down but ordered it finally.
    Out of stock might be that of a first run. I cannot imagine CRR having a stock of 1000 sets

I haven't checked prices lately because mine is already on its way to me, but at one time it was in the 40s [[US dollars) on both Import CDs and Deep Discount. That seems very reasonable to me for 9 CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    ...much like how her Forever With You album was pieced together. Whether we will ever see/hear this unreleased material, who knows. Not getting my hopes up.
    You would never guess "Forever With You" was cobbled together. "Hurry Up This Way Again" and "Come Right or Not At All" are two of her strongest latter-day tracks. I'm glad it's now all in one box set.

Mine was delivered on day of release for 43 pounds and seems to have stayed at that price on Amazon. I'm guessing nobody has come across any bugs sound wise? I've been without an amp for about six weeks so haven't even opened it yet. There'll be at least four box sets to get through by the time the repair is sorted. Impeccable timing!

There was a review from someone in the Cherry Pop Facebook group, dedicated to discussing new reissues. They mentioned that the sound quality on this set did not seem to be an improvement over the previous reissues of her albums. They also commented that the sound was worse on some tracks, like Somewhere in My Lifetime. I was surprised to read this, considering Nick Robbins did the remastering. The same person said the sound on this set unfortunately does not compare to the superior remastering on the Dionne Warwick box that Nick Robbins also worked on. This person suspects that perhaps the source tapes/files they were given were not up to par.

I am hoping another audiophile can confirm their findings for the sound on this set. It was the main reason I had planned on buying it, since I already have all of the tracks on this set, and more.

My copy of this box set arrived last week. I'm four discs in, at the moment, and the sound/remastering is great.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    They also commented that the sound was worse on some tracks, like Somewhere in My Lifetime.
    What was the specific comment?

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    What was the specific comment?
    This particular person had said that Somewhere In My Lifetime sounded like an old analogue transfer with no remastering. You can read their entire review here...

https://m.facebook.com/groups/359551...7880600501394/

It was interesting that for this reviewer, their benchmark for superior sound is the 2 CD "Legacy of Phyllis Hyman" collection. I always found the sound on that one to be pretty badly compressed and sharp to my ears, especially on "Betcha By Golly Wow".

Thus far, I'm finding this new box set sounds quite good. I ran the first disc through my software and the dynamic range rating was overall quite high [[13). Only one of the bonus tracks had some noticeable hiss, likely from the master that was used. The overall sound quality is much better than I expected, especially in light of the above review I had seen.

Thanks for the link. From the comment about audibility, I suspect that poster favours a maximised style of mastering [[as opposed to maintaining the dynamic range of the original recording). I'm glad to hear more than one opinion on the sound of the set. I'm also glad that Soul Music Records don't just clone previous CD releases wholesale.

I also had the same inkling, smallworld, in regards to that reviewer's preference on sound. I'm glad I took a chance and got this set, as it sounds great.