[REMOVE ADS]

Talking New Motown Jobete 45 Patti Austin "Can't Forget The One I Love" Columbia 45499 1971

Another missing Motown Jobete 45 [[none Motown Labels & Artists) by Patti Austin. Written by Pam Sawyer & Lavern Ware aka Gloria Jones.
    Great song and Artist.

This was originally scheduled by Motown for the: Jackson 5, David & Jimmy Ruffin, P.J [[Patti Jerome), & Suzee Ikeda but was never issued by Motown.

Sanctioned and to be added to DFTMC Archive. Courtesy of K.H.

Youtube link
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl24s4vuX_8
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 05-18-2021 at 03:42 AM.

Whoa!!! Thanks a million! Patti's Columbia output needs to be re-mastered and re-released stat.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Whoa!!! Thanks a million! Patti's Columbia output needs to be re-mastered and re-released stat.
    Funnily I spoke to Pam Sawyer about this very tune just a short while ago - she's not too keen on the production on this track and says that although she was always keen to get a Patti release this version of the song was too fast and had too many horns and was far too 'busy' for her taste. Originally conceived as a little cute song I guess it's always the same when an arranger doesn't speak to the writer about how a song was originally born...

Very interesting! A Honeycone knock off. Sure sounds like Thelma Houston?

Who is the arranger?
    ....Pam Sawyer is equally culpable ! 'even the size of your shoe'

good stuff !!!

The Sunday Times [[UK) supplement magazine circa 1970, ran a Motown article which mentioned the writing of this song...I think it was based on the size on Tennis shoes worn by the ex of one of the writers...probably Gloria.

Listening to this for the first time, I hear a track being produced [[and quite well, IMO) to sound like a Motown record. That said, I can appreciate Pam Sawyer's concerns about it being a little busy with everything up front. It could handle a remix at the very least and perhaps a slight tempo slowing at the most extreme. However, on the latter, as it is it sounds a lot like a Motown record in production and arrangement--the latter by Tony Camillo, who had Motown connections in that he worked with HDH in the late '60s and eventually worked with Gladys Knight and The Pips after they departed Motown in '73.

I would love to hear the Motown-produced versions by Jackson 5, David & Jimmy Ruffin, P.J [Patti Jerome], & Suzee Ikeda to hear what it would sound like "directly from the factory." Hopefully someday soon! [Paul Nixon--you have yet another song to scour the vaults for for a future CFOM! Yay!]

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Very interesting! A Honeycone knock off. Sure sounds like Thelma Houston?

Who is the arranger?
    ....Pam Sawyer is equally culpable ! 'even the size of your shoe'

good stuff !!!
    You're right. Sounds so much like a Honey Cone record.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    Listening to this for the first time, I hear a track being produced [[and quite well, IMO) to sound like a Motown record. That said, I can appreciate Pam Sawyer's concerns about it being a little busy with everything up front. It could handle a remix at the very least and perhaps a slight tempo slowing at the most extreme. However, on the latter, as it is it sounds a lot like a Motown record in production and arrangement--the latter by Tony Camillo, who had Motown connections in that he worked with HDH in the late '60s and eventually worked with Gladys Knight and The Pips after they departed Motown in '73.

I would love to hear the Motown-produced versions by Jackson 5, David & Jimmy Ruffin, P.J [Patti Jerome], & Suzee Ikeda to hear what it would sound like "directly from the factory." Hopefully someday soon! [Paul Nixon--you have yet another song to scour the vaults for for a future CFOM! Yay!]
    You Betcha !!!!!