[REMOVE ADS]

The Heartbraking True Story About Aretha Franklin

This is a fair and basically factual recap of Franklin's life and career and packs a lot into 12 minutes. Lots of pictures I have not seen before. I would prefer that the clip had been titled 'The Triumphant Story of Aretha Franklin', though! A good find -

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  21.1 KB
    I never knew that Atlantic Records were so disrespectful to her. Their reputation was that they were a Godsend to her after Columbia had stifled her creativeness. But, after seeing the recent CNN documentary on her life and career, I see that Atlantic jacked her around more than Columbia, and she made a LOT of money for them, and she didn't get her share.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    I never knew that Atlantic Records were so disrespectful to her. Their reputation was that they were a Godsend to her after Columbia had stifled her creativeness. But, after seeing the recent CNN documentary on her life and career, I see that Atlantic jacked her around more than Columbia, and she made a LOT of money for them, and she didn't get her share.
    There was a CNN documentary?

It's no surprise that Aretha Franklin did not get all the money [or credits] she deserved while she was at Atlantic Records. However, there's No Way she could've recorded the songs that made her a Legend during the late '60s & early '70s if she had stayed at Columbia Records.

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish46 View Post
    There was a CNN documentary?
    Yes, it was shown a month or 2 ago. It was split into several episodes [[I seem to remember it was 4) [[like Ken Burn's "Baseball", "Jazz", and "The Civil War"). Here's a link to the announcement and trailer for it: https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/06/enter...in-documentary

Yes, it was shown a month or 2 ago. It was split into several episodes [[I seem to remember it was 4) [[like Ken Burn's "Baseball", "Jazz", and "The Civil War"). Here's a link to the announcement and trailer for it: https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/06/enter...in-documentary
    This is a link about the concert film Amazing Grace, though. Are you sure you're not thinking of NatGeo's miniseries Genius: Aretha?
    Last edited by sansradio; 05-20-2021 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    This is a link about the concert film Amazing Grace, though. Are you sure you're not thinking of NatGeo's miniseries Genius: Aretha?
Views: 188
    Yes! THAT's the one. I had remembered that it was a documentary produced by a network that one wouldn't be in their realm of subject matter. And CNN had had recent documentaries on individual newsworthy people out recently. So I got the two confused.

Views: 188
    Yes! THAT's the one. I had remembered that it was a documentary produced by a network that one wouldn't be in their realm of subject matter. And CNN had had recent documentaries on individual newsworthy people out recently. So I got the two confused.
    No harm, no foul. I was about to start feverishly looking for a CNN project!