[REMOVE ADS]

Cindy Overseas Question

Was looking at wiki today; specifically info on the DRATS "Talk of the Town" release.

Live at London's Talk of the Town is a 1968 live album released by Diana Ross & the Supremes on the Motown label, recorded at the Talk of the Town nightclub. This performance marked the first time that new member Cindy Birdsong had performed overseas with original Supremes Diana Ross and Mary Wilson, a year after original founding member Florence Ballard was ousted.

I always thought Cindy's first trip overseas was to Spain, where they recorded this:

They embarked on a European tour in January 1968. England wasn't the first date on the tour but I don't know where Spain fell in the itinerary.
    Last edited by reese; 05-14-2021 at 06:45 PM.

The article would have been more accurate, had it said:

This performance at the Talk Of The Town, was part of new member Cindy Birdsong's first tour with the Supremes performing overseas

Their first performance on that tour was on two TV shows in Italy. The Spain TV show with the Reflections clip was taped prior to Talk of the Town, but was broadcast about the time of their Talk Of The Town appearance. I believe the tour also brought them to Amsterdam, Germany, and France before they got to UK for Talk Of The Town

You're right Milven

For a detailed itinerary: http://dianarosssupremes.free.fr/Timeline%201968.htm

That site is very informative. I just browsed through 1965 to see if I could find a performance by the group.
    Last edited by milven; 05-16-2021 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    You're right Milven

For a detailed itinerary: http://dianarosssupremes.free.fr/Timeline%201968.htm
    Yes, a wonderful & new-to-me site. Lots of unseen pictures. Aside: it's disturbing at this point in history to see how thin Diana had become and how, apparently, no one seemed to care about her health.

Another aside: Interesting just how much information is 'erroneously' provided in the Dreamgirl book. Was the book ever corrected?

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    That site is very informative. I just browsed through 1965 to see if I could find a performance by the group.
    isnt it fantastic ? the most comprehensive overview of The Supremes career ever produced..brilliant work Laurent cant wait for the Ross solo years to be added

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Another aside: Interesting just how much information is 'erroneously' provided in the Dreamgirl book. Was the book ever corrected?
    Unfortunately not. Most of those mistakes were even repeated in Supreme Glamour.

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    isnt it fantastic ? the most comprehensive overview of The Supremes career ever produced..brilliant work Laurent cant wait for the Ross solo years to be added

Thanks. I'm working on it

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Unfortunately not. Most of those mistakes were even repeated in Supreme Glamour.
    That is unfortunate, particularly pertaining to SG, which was issued by a reputable publisher and should have been more carefully fact-checked.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    That is unfortunate, particularly pertaining to SG, which was issued by a reputable publisher and should have been more carefully fact-checked.
    I have SG but i havent read the text yet..thats such a shame theres errors to mire such a polished production..most editors wouldnt have the knowledge to spot Supremes factual errors..

I can't speak for him, but I know a member of this board, a Motown Historian in all aspects, was very involved in this book. They worked diligently to make this a masterpiece. There were a lot of corrections made that simply the publishers and "higher ups" overlooked or discarded. The disappointment we might have for errors I assume pales in comparison to theirs.

Let’s get real. Did we really think Mary was going to remember every recording date, every concert date and the date of every event the girls had decades before. I believe Sup Fan said more than likely someone handed her a list of this information and she used it. Maybe she should have checked to see if it’s accurate but in the days long before the internet it would have been a impossible task. Of course it’s easier now but we as fans are very fanatical about these things than the girls were.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Let’s get real. Did we really think Mary was going to remember every recording date, every concert date and the date of every event the girls had decades before. I believe Sup Fan said more than likely someone handed her a list of this information and she used it. Maybe she should have checked to see if it’s accurate but in the days long before the internet it would have been a impossible task. Of course it’s easier now but we as fans are very fanatical about these things than the girls were.
    To your point, I also don't think Mary imagined that 4 decades later, the fans would scrutinize every detail in the book. I think at the time, she did the best she could, with what she had.

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    I have SG but i havent read the text yet..thats such a shame theres errors to mire such a polished production..most editors wouldnt have the knowledge to spot Supremes factual errors..
    I read somewhere that there are 117 "errors" in SG. It's almost as though someone has found joy in pointing out the mistakes. Yes, I agree that errors skew the history of the Supremes, but sometimes it's okay to take things at face value and enjoy what's in front of you. Mary talked about this "coffee table book" for decades; who actually thought it would ever come to fruition?